*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477946-wind
Rated: E · Draft · Sci-fi · #1477946
oil was gone, wood was gone, all we had left was the wind
  N.E YEAR -3                                                                                                After we had used up all the natural biological resources, we only had two options, nuclear or the wind. The powers that were at the time decided that the wind was the best option considering the the energy ratios regarding input and output. A global campaign began to manufacture as many wind turbines as resources would allow, thousands, millions, the only way to reset the global economy. It was a brave plan, a optimistic one also, it gave hope to the nations that were used to unlimited power and it was magical to those who never had power to start with. These people had already been robbed of their right to share in mother earths bounty.

At this stage, the beginning of the new era nobody on earth, even in the most comprehensive risk assesment, could have forseen the effect, the consequence of the descion to use the wind.

N.E. YEAR 4

They had been built in 3 years, it is a strange fact of life that in times of severe stress that the world as a whole can come together, there were those who opposed, not out of any real conviction but just for the right to oppose, some even violently.

As the manufacture of the turbines commenced, the designers raced to come up with ever more efficient power generating ideas, designs improved. More blades per tower with more efficient bearings meant that every slight breeze would turn the generator, creating a small but useable charge. The last and best modification , were those that had wings made from solar panels, these soaked up the suns rays which contributed to the harvest.

It was said that around the year 1000 AD, a squirrel could climb a tree at Lands End in the UK, then walk all the way to John O groats on the northern edge of Scotland without touching the ground. A thousand years later, if that same animal were to make the return journey, he would find it hard to come across a tree.

The last three years saw an effort that inspired people around the world. Borders between conflicting countries melted away. Religious differences that were the cause of so much suffering in the past, became the force that held peoples hopes high. We were that desparate to believe in a somthing that was as yet unshowing, that we thought that even if our God did not exist then there was a chance that our nieghbours did and that might be enough.

Our planet, if i was to anthropromorphise, had such a benevolent spirit. It spent tens of millions of years nurturing, ironically the death and decay of all biological matter, into our legacy and its own demise.









© Copyright 2008 SLIMJIM (slimjim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477946-wind