*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478019-Keeping-Up-With-Abby
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1478019
A little girl keeps her dad busy.
Alex slowly awoke to the golden sunlight kissing him on the cheek. “Saturday,” he thought, “I can sleep in." He closed his eyes and began drifting quickly into a mixed up dream about his cousin Betty and something about very ripe bananas sitting on the kitchen table.

“Wake up Dad. Wake up!” Alex jolted awake to his five year old daughter, Abby pulling on his dead arm.

“What is it honey? Are you okay?” He quickly gathered his wits. With a clear mind and quick examination, he realized his second question was not needed. Abby had obviously been up for a little while. With a half combed head in two very crooked pig tails and clothes that didn’t match, she had attempted to prepare herself for the day. She had her usual bright smile on her face that said she was fine.

“Daddy, I made you breakfast! Come see, come see!” She began hopping up and down as she continued to yank on her fathers tired arm. “Pancakes Dad, all by myself!”

Alex pointed his toes and stretched his legs. “Okay Abs, I’m coming. Give me just a second.”

“Okay Daddy, but hurry. You don’t want your breakfast to get cold do you?” Alex could tell she was trying to sound like her mom.

“No, no. I don’t want that. Go on downstairs, and I will be there in just a sec.” Abby raced off yelling something about setting the table and pouring orange juice.

He sat up in bed sliding his legs over the side. Arching his back, he groaned, “Well, so much for sleeping in this Saturday.” He staggered into the bathroom and a few minutes later was standing in the kitchen door, jaw almost to the floor.

In front of Alex was what he once knew as his kitchen. To his left was the refrigerator, door open. The counter top to his right was running over with a mixture of half-stirred pancake batter, egg shells, and a little orange juice. The electric skillet was perched on top of the stove, still on, with the last pancake sizzled to a crackery crisp. Every kitchen towel was on the floor. Abby’s attempt to clean up the mess. And on the dinning room table, a stack of warm pancakes peppered with large chunks of egg shell. Sitting next to the pancakes was a note from his wife.

He picked up the note and read,
“Honey, did you forget? I have my women’s retreat today. Take care of Abby. After you feed her breakfast, I would love it if you could rake up the leaves in the back yard!!! I will be home around 8:30 tonight, so lunch and dinner are both on your shoulders. Love you so much! Diane”

Alex rubbed his face and groaned out loud. “Why?.......Just once can I have a Saturday just to be lazy? Ugh!"

He crumpled the note and threw it back on the table.

“Daddy, aren’t you going to eat your breakfast?”

“What? Oh, yes, I’m sorry sweetheart I forgot.” He sat down to the pile of gooey pancakes and reluctantly cut off a piece with the side of his fork. Slowly he bit down on the specially prepared breakfast. CRUNCH, CRUNCH went the egg shells as if he was eating a bowl of Grapenuts for breakfast rather than pancakes.

She looked at him with anticipation. He smiled and with a full mouth said, “Delicious!” He choked down the bite, and then said, “I bet you haven’t brushed your teeth yet this morning. Why don’t you go do that while I finish eating?”

She ran down the hall to the bathroom. Alex quickly disposed of the rest of his breakfast before she returned. Then he began cleaning up the kitchen. Abby came back in, “Can I help Dad?”

“Oh, no Abs. You cooked it, I’ll clean it up. Why don’t you go watch some cartoons for now?”

Two hours later, Alex had once again discovered his kitchen. He walked into the living room to get his windbreaker out of the hall closet just to find Abby stretching blankets over chairs. “What do you think of my fort Dad?”

“That looks…… pretty good Abby.” She had managed to use about five blankets, the desk chair out of the den, her doll’s stroller, and every book off of the book shelf for blanket weights.

“Abby,” Alex was doing his best to hold his temper, “I really have to go out and get started raking the leaves. How can I do that if I have to keep picking up after you?”

“Daddy, please don’t tear it down. I promise I will clean it up later.”

“Get your coat on Abby, and go out in the back yard to play. I will be out there in just a few minutes.” Her head hung low, she walked down the hall to get her coat. A few minutes later she walked past him again to the back door. Once she was outside, Alex began cleaning up the fort.

After thirty minutes of folding blankets and reshelving books, Alex slid the desk chair back under the desk. He wiped his hands together and said to himself, “Done.”

He again walked to the closet, grabbed his windbreaker, and headed for the back door. He opened the door to find his backyard covered in leaves, with the exception of one corner. There, the leaves were half hazardly raked into three large piles.

Alex smiled. With a little chuckle he said to himself, “Abby.”

He looked around and didn’t see her. He yelled her name, “Abby!” There was no answer.

“Did she go back in the house?” He asked himself. He walked back in the house. Again he called, “Abs, are you in here?” Still no answer. Alex began to panic a little. “Maybe she is upstairs in her room.” He thought. Skipping every other step, Alex bounded up the stairs. He opened her door to an empty room. His heart began to race. He ran back downstairs and went to the living room. The TV was on and Spongebob was catching a jellyfish in his net, but no Abby. Alex ran from room to room, but she was not in the house.

Sweat was now forming on Alex’s forehead. He nervously rubbed his temples. “Where is she? Don’t panic Alex, she’s around somewhere. Stay calm.” His own encouraging words were of little help.

He ran back outside and yelled. “Abs! Abby!” Nothing. He listened for her to respond, but only heard the neighbor’s dog barking, and the cool autumn breeze blowing a few dry leaves around.

He ran out into the middle of the yard. He looked down to see the lawn rake laying where Abby dropped it. He quickly spun around and yelled again. “Abby!” He was now scared and beyond frantic. “Oh Abby, where are you?” He said quietly.

Alex stood there not sure what to do, but knew he must do something. He kept looking around and yelling.

Then he heard it. It was very faint, but still there none the less. A little giggle. His panic eased and was quickly replaced with anger.

He still could not pinpoint the exact location, but at least he knew she was fine. This time with more anger in his voice he yelled out, “Abby, I hear you. This is NOT funny.”

The giggling became louder, loud enough for Alex to follow it to one of the piles of leaves. There, he brushed the top of the pile to expose Abby’s shining smile.

With only her beautiful face visible she peered up at her frowning dad. “I helped you rake the lawn Daddy! Do you like it?”

His anger quickly melted away. “I love it Ab’s. Thank you.”

With watery eyes only a father would understand, he asked, “Would you like to help me finish?”

“YES!” She reached up with her arms.

He grabbed them and pulled her from her hiding place. “Let’s go get the other rake.”

They walked to the tool shed, holding hands.

“I love you Daddy.”

“I love you too Abs.”

© Copyright 2008 ricknichols (ricknichols at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478019-Keeping-Up-With-Abby