*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478195-Iron-Horse
by Sammy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1478195
A unlikely hero in a big rig comes to the rescue of an abused woman. 2nd ParadiseCove 1/10
Kara rubbed at her bleary eyes as she watched the semi trucks roll in and out of the travel plaza. She took a sip of her cold coffee as a balding man in his mid to late thirties walked through, glaring in her direction. She had been “loitering” for the last twenty-seven hours and the manager was obviously getting fed up. Her stomach rumbled as a family walked by with trays loaded with burgers and fries. Mindful of her dwindling finances, she forced her gaze away, focusing on the parking lot once again. A classically handsome thirty something gave her a smarmy smile, making a good show of stretching and flexing outside his Mustang. Kara started to roll her eyes only to laugh out loud as his pretty brunette companion smacked him disdainfully in the back of the head, walking past him into the building.

The moment of levity was short lived as Kara felt someone stop beside her table. Her long fingers tightened on the backpack containing her meager belongings and she studied the older woman’s reflection in the window for a moment. The travel plaza employee was a grandmotherly woman, early sixties, petite and fit for her age. She met Kara’s eyes in the window for a long moment before giving her a conspirital wink as she deftly slipped a hot cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll off the tray before picking up the cold coffee and continuing to bus tables. The tension easing in her willowy body, Kara caught the older woman’s eye with a grateful smile even as she pulled the mouthwatering pastry apart with eager fingers.



Washing the sticky remnants of the cinnamon roll from her hands, Kara leaned over the sink to splash some cold water on her face. Straightening, she shook the excess water from her hands and studied her own reflection in the bathroom mirror. Hazel eyes were bloodshot and sported dark circles beneath them. Water beaded on high cheekbones with a smattering of freckles that stretched across her nose. Locks of her long tawny mane had come free and hung in a disarray. Pulling the cheap chopsticks that held it free, she leaned over shaking her hair out. Giving her scalp a quick scratch she straightened and efficiently twisted the hair into a manageable knot, shoving the chopsticks through it to hold it in place. Wiping the rest of the water off her face with the hem of her white baby-t, she smoothed it back down and self-consciously ran her hands over the black track pants. Her backpack held all that remained of her wardrobe, a mixed load of “essentials” she had taken to the laundry mat. An earlier inventory had revealed two pairs of jeans, three thongs, a pair of running shorts with matching sports bra, two more t-shirts, two short, sporty, khaki skirts, three pair sports socks, and a lace bra. None of it was exactly haute couture.



Leaning her forehead against the cool glass of the window, Kara arched her tired back not looking forward to another night huddled in a hard plastic chair. Smothering a yawn she craned her neck to get a look at a black truck rolling in, her eyes squinting as the lights played across the big rig's sleeper. Weariness left her as she studied the huge custom bunk speculatively. The Peterbilt rolled to a stop under a light pole, showcasing a detailed airbrushed mural of an old “Iron Horse” locomotive chugging through the mountains. Apprehension knotted her stomach as a light came on in the cab and the driver slowly descended from the truck. Kara tracked his slow progress across the parking lot intently. She swallowed hard as he entered the plaza, ambling toward the Tim Horton’s counter, a travel mug in his hand. He was built like a bull, maybe six foot one, with broad shoulders and a barrel chest, no neck and his head clean-shaven. Her heart hammered in her chest as she forced herself to stand and pick up her backpack.

Every detail of the man seemed to stand out as Kara approached him tentatively, the bulk of his biceps, his thick, slab like hands, thighs like tree trunks…she shivered and swallowed hard. She opened her mouth and nothing came out. Clearing her throat nervously she tried again.

“Iron Horse, sir?”

Raising an eyebrow, Dan turned, surprised at that name used here. A frown furrowed his brow, as he regarded the stunning young blond. His eyes narrowed in contemplation. The area would be right for her …he hastily squashed a glimmer of hope. Even dressed plainly in jogging pants, tennis shoes, and a form fitting white t-shirt it was obvious the nearly six-footer was a knock out. The twin softballs that filled out her baby-t made his palms itch. She had the face of an angel and the way she stood demurely before him, eyes lowered, caused a strong surge below the belt buckle. He glanced around for any of his trucker buddies. This had to be a joke.

“What can I do for you, darling?”

“I’m Kara or you may know me better as GG, sir. You said if I ever needed help …”

“Please do not concern yourself with the likes of her, sir,” the manager interjected, stepping between them and taking Kara’s upper arm in a tight grip. “She has been loitering around here for two days now. This is the first time she has bothered any one and it will be the last.”

Not caring for the manager’s tone, or how casually he laid hands on the girl, Dan glowered at the smaller man.
“Keep putting your nose places it don’t belong, boy, and it is likely to get broke. Kara was waiting for me.”

“Uh…but…uh…I heard you ask her what she wanted. She was clearly uh…soliciting,” the manager sputtered.

“I could have ordered for her, however I thought I would allow her to choose her own meal this time,” Dan muttered, his words dripping with sarcasm. “Come here, baby girl.”

The manager held firmly as the girl tried to wrench her arm free, an uncertain look on his face as he assessed the situation. He had little tolerance for the “lot lizards” that hung around offering their charms to the truck drivers for a buck, a ride, or a free meal. A pointed look and a threatening step forward by the stocky trucker finally won her release and the little whore hastily circled around to stand behind her new protector.
“If the girl is with you then I will assume that when you leave she will accompany you and we will no longer have the pleasure of her loitering around our lobby. Otherwise I would be forced to contact the local authorities to have her removed.”

“Assume what you want, boy. I need some coffee,” the trucker grumbled, turning away dismissively. “Order what you want from Tim’s here or Wendy’s, girl.”

Kara’s stomach growled in eager agreement as she stepped up to the Wendy’s counter and ordered the ultimate chicken grill combo, large Pepsi, and after a questioning peek at Iron Horse, added a small frosty for dessert.

“Keep the order open, Ma’am. I will add to it as soon as I pay for my coffee and crullers her….” his words trailed off as the persistent plaza manager laid a hand on his arm. Kara held her breath as Iron Horse looked from the hand to the manager’s face.

“She is using you for a meal ticket,” he said, his lips pressed in a thin line of disapproval. “We both know she is going to follow you out to the parking lot and…” he paused looking for the right words. “…offer her charms in payment.”

Turning his head, Iron Horse let his gaze run blatantly over the blonde beauty,
“That is a hell of a lot of “charm” for an eight dollar value meal, boy,” he said with a lecherous wink that brought color to both Kara’s pale cheeks and the livid manager’s as well. There was no penance in Dan’s chuckle as the manager spun stiffly on his heel and stalked off.



Dan watched the slender blonde savor her frosty, her eyes drifting closed as she slowly drew the spoon between her lips. She had devoured the chicken sandwich and fries, leaving not a crumb behind. Iron Horse and GG had been friends for two years in the chats. It had grown into a little something more the past six months. As many times as he had offered to pull off the toll road and kick the shit out of her worthless old man, this was the first meeting for Dan and Kara. His eyes narrowed on the finger tip bruises clearly visible ringing her left bicep and he had thought he had caught a dark shadow across her cheekbone when she had been facing him. Her fingers trembled on the spoon and he decided to make this easy for her.
“You finally ready to leave the loser?”

Kara looked up, searching his tone for sincerity versus sarcasm. A rueful smile twisted the corner of her lips.
“They say the third time is the charm.”

“You have help this time, baby,” he rumbled. The resolve in his voice was as comforting as the callused hand that covered hers.

Kara sighed softly as Dan stretched his arm along the back of the seat, his strong fingers easing the tension from her neck. There was something about him that made her feel safe. Safe was something she hadn’t felt in years, certainly not since Rob had threatened to kill her if she ever tried to leave him again. The time in the hospital with a lacerated kidney, four broken ribs and a fractured collar bone had allowed ample time for the message to sink in. Her lap top had been Rob’s version of an apology. That had been over two years ago. It was rather ironic that it would become the means by which she would meet her white knight. She peeked at him from under lowered lashes. She has taken her time getting to know him. Lord knew her taste in men was suspect. She prayed she was right this time.



Dan studied the sleeping girl in the faint glow of the travel plaza lights. The connection they had developed online was very much there face to face. She had a gift for making him smile. She had seemed a bit jittery when they had first rolled out but had relaxed the further they had gone. Regardless of how wonderful it had been to have someone to talk and laugh with, he had actually been relieved when the full belly and rhythmic movement of the rolling big rig had rocked her to sleep. The haunted quality to her big doe eyes and the dark smudges under them had him worried. She had been asleep for the past seven hours, but now it was time he got a bit of shut eye.
Straightening the spacious bunk he moved back to the cab and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. She came awake with a soft cry, her arms reflexively coming up to cover her head. That the fear was a constant companion sickened him.

"It’s ok, baby. Come on back to the bunk and we will both get a little sleep.”

Kara blushed looking around for the clock. Dan’s hand cupped her cheek, turning her back to him.

“It’s ok baby. We are safe. You need to get some more sleep,” he soothed.

Kara’s eyes searched his for a long moment before slowly nodding in agreement. She allowed him to help her to the back and shed her clothes. Slipping into the baggy t-shirt he provided, she smiled and climbed into the bed with him. She lay still for a while, barely daring to breathe as she waited to see what he would do. He leaned over and kissed her softly before settling his head to pillow. She was so surprised when he didn’t pounce that she just stared at him. As if feeling her gaze he turned and smiled. Opening his arms to her he just waited … the offer extended, but refusing to pressure her. Silence hung heavy between them and then she snuggled into his arms. He nuzzled the top of her head and stroked her back softly.

Kara smiled into the dark. Dan's heart beat was steady under her ear. She was suprised she could hear it over the pounding of her own. The stroke of his hand felt good and as with before, she felt safe. It wasn't a feeling she was familiar with these past couple of years, and not one she was sure she should trust. He was being patient, as he had promised, not pushing things. As good as it felt to be held close, she wasn't sure when, or even if, she would be ready for more. The future was uncertain, but one thing she had learned. She wanted things to work out with Iron Horse, but if things warranted, she would walk again. Life was too short.


Word Count 2193
















© Copyright 2008 Sammy (sammy_k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478195-Iron-Horse