*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478375-The-Golden-Years
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #1478375
Excerpt from my latest book called Concrete Reflections.
** Image ID #1478381 Unavailable **



The weather here today is a reflection of the changing season. Summer will be leaving us soon and fall will be arriving. It's been a day of morning clouds with cooler temperatures, falling away for sunshine and warmer afternoon air, only to fall back to a cloudy evening cooling down once more.

It seems like the changing season brings mood swings along with it.

It picks me up ever so gently then sets me down again. I can't seem to get a grip on which way the swing will take me as of late. I've seen this happen before though during a change of the seasons...it's almost as if saying goodbye to an old friend ...knowing it will be a long while before they come around again.

Then, too, perhaps it is my body readying me for the absence of the sunny warm days. Only to give rise to those cold long winter days that lie ahead in the not too distant future. My birthday falls in November. Could it be the cycle of turning another year older?

Coming back from our walk this evening we realized it was more like a hike than a walk. We walked the road around the pasture down to the Skagit River. Then we walked through the brush above the riverbank pushing the branches that extended their fingers out to snag us as we made our way slowly through the thick and back to the path that leads us up to Cedar Grove where we live.

Maybe we were dragging it out longer because we know that summer will be leaving us soon? At home, at last, we both relaxed in the deck chairs sipping away on big tall glasses of ice cold juice. It's a beautiful evening out here tonight. When the sun sets on the top of Sauk Mountain it turns those rocky towers a vibrant red.

We are so lucky to be able to enjoy the beauty of these mountains around us.

These truly are the Golden Years.



Word Count:337
© Copyright 2008 ShiShad (shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478375-The-Golden-Years