*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478920-Sierras-Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1478920
This is an alternate beginning to my story about how Sierra escaped Theta 5.
Sierra Scobar dreamed of space. She had always wanted to get off this boring little backwater planet. She could be a jump pilot or a ship captain, like her aunt Alicia, the one her parents never talked about. And why didn’t they ever talk about her? The position of ship Captain was a widely respected occupation, except on Theta Five, and Sierra's parents had other plans for her. But Sierra’s parents had other plans for her. If they had their way, she would marry a wealthy young man with political clout, have plenty of children, and accept the role of homemaker - the traditional Theta 5 woman.          

While Sierra had nothing against boys and even had fun with them from time to time, she wasn't the least bit interested in waiting on them or raising children, only to have more mouths to feed. In fact, she thought nothing could be more dull. If she could steer clear of any marriage arrangements for the next 10 months, she would be free and clear. She yearned for the day when she reached majority age, bound for a planet with a more progressive society. She had been saving for the last 3 years, and she almost had enough to book passage to the Cetan Hub, which was a major trade and shipping nexus. From there she could find work on a ship, not only earning money, but traveling as well.  Just a few more months now, and she would be on her way.

When Sierra returned home from school that day, there was a strange car in the drive. “Probably one of Father’s associates,” Sierra thought as she climbed the front steps.

“Good afternoon honey,” her mother greeted her. “This is Mrs. Barra. She’s a Babba.”

Sierra froze, her gaze going to the older woman sitting with her mother. She felt suddenly very faint. A Babba was a matchmaker, a go-between for families in the semi-arranged marriage culture of Theta 5. Having a Babba here, in her living room, could only mean one thing. Someone or someone's parents, more likely, had extended a marriage offer.  Sierra felt her hopes and dreams crumbling like a cliff beneath her feet.

"Sierra?" her mother inquired, worriedly. "Are you alright?"

Sierra didn’t respond, still staring at them blankly, her mind reeling with shock.

“Mrs. Barra, could you excuse us? This has obviously come as quite a shock to my daughter,” Mrs. Scobar murmured as she herded Mrs. Barra towards the door. “We will be sure to call on you when Sierra feels more like herself.”

Sierra’s mother saw the Babba out, then returned to the living room. “You don’t have to do this, you know,” she gently told her daughter.

At this, Sierra looked up. “What do you mean? You and dad have been planning this since before I was born.”

"While it is true that we had hoped you would want that kind of life for yourself, it has become obvious that you don’t, at least not yet. Your father and I thought you could spend some time off-planet, at my alma mater on Rowe Colony.” Sierra’s mother looked inquiringly at her. “Do you think you would enjoy that?”

Sierra, baffled by this sudden ray of hope, stared wild-eyed at her mother. “You went to school on Rowe Colony?!”

Mrs. Scobar laughed. “You didn’t think my sister Alicia was the only one in this family to ever go off-planet, did you? And speaking of your aunt, she will be here at the end of the week. If you decide to go to Rowe Colony, she will take you.”

“Aunt Alicia is coming here? But, she never visits. And you never talk about her.”

Sierra’s mother sighed. “Well, I suppose there is no reason now not to tell you. We never see or talk about your aunt because our parents never forgave her for not coming home after she finished her schooling. She broke their hearts when she decided to stay off-planet and work her way up through the ranks of ship’s crew.”

“So she stayed away because Grandmother and Grandfather didn’t want her to come home?” Sierra asked.

“Yes. And we kept you sheltered from her partially out of respect for them, and partially because it seemed easier that way, when you were younger, than explaining the truth.” Sierra’s mother looked at her thoughtfully. “So, do you want to go away to school?”

“Of course I want to go! How could I not want…”

Laughing, Mrs. Scobar broke in. “Alright, calm down. You only have a few days until she arrives. Let’s get you packed.”

Sierra’s last week on Theta 5 was a blur of packing, goodbyes, and rechecking of the packing. Aunt Alicia spent a few days visiting the various relatives she had remaining on Theta 5, and then it was time to go.

Sierra bid her parents a teary farewell at the shuttleport, exchanging hugs and promises to write frequently, stay out of trouble, and study hard. Finally, Sierra and Aunt Alicia boarded the shuttle. As the acceleration of take off pushed her against her couch, Sierra thought to herself, “I did it. I’m going off-planet.”

© Copyright 2008 Pixel218 (pixel218 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478920-Sierras-Story