*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479076-Unexpected-Delivery
by Pammi
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1479076
A short story I wrote a few years ago. 747 Words
Emma sat on the bed and looked down at the figure lying beside her as she sighed. "Oh well, here we go,"

She shook him gently by the shoulder. "Tony, it's time."

Tony grunted and pulled the duvet up over his head. Emma shook him again.

"Tony it's time!"

"It can't be, He grumbled sleepily. "I've not been in bed that long."

Emma smiled. "I don't mean it's morning, I mean the contractions have started".

"Oh is that all?" Tony murmured as he sat up, propped his head on his hand, and reached for a cigarette. He scratched his head as the smoke billowed from his nose. "How long have we got then?"

Emma folded her arms exasperated. "For Heaven's sake Tony, you could be a little bit more enthusiastic about it!. Maybe we've got an hour, maybe it'll take all night. You know what labour's like. It never goes the way the books say it should".

"I'll be enthusiastic about it when it's over. You know what I'm like when it comes to 'women's problems ' Em'. Do you think you can put the kettle on? I'm parched".

Emma glared. "Women's problems!" she screamed at him. "Since when has pregnancy been a woman's problem?. If I learned anything in Biology at school, it was that pregnancy is a joint effort!. Unless you're a worm that is!" She stormed out of the bedroom.

In the kitchen the dog was lying in her basket. Her doleful brown eyes looked up at Emma. She bent down and stroked her gently. "Sometimes Lady, I don't know why we bother with men. They've got no idea what we go through".

Lady licked her hand and she got up to fill the kettle.

Tony walked into the kitchen. He sat down and lit another cigarette. "I'm sorry Em'. You know I didn't mean that to sound the way it did. You know I'm not very good with words".

Emma sat opposite him and handed him his drink. "That's always your excuse".

"What is?".

"Saying that you have a poor vocabulary. Regardless of that, it wasn't a 'woman's problem a few months ago was it? Oh no. The male of the species wants all the fun and none of the aggravation".

"Oh come on! This is not the time to start on that kick again".

Lady whined, and lifted her head.

"It's alright girl."

Tony bent down and rubbed her ears.

"Let's not argue anymore Em'. You know it upsets her and in her condition I'm sure it won't do her any good. Now, did you ring the vet?".

Emma sat down next to Lady's basket.

"Yes. He said, She should be able to manage on her own, but some pedigree dogs do need help at times. He also said if we need to resuscitate any of the pups, we should wrap them in a towel and rub them firmly, but gently, and this should help to get them breathing.'"

As they sat next to her Emma rubbed her stomach gently. "Don't worry Lady. You'll be fine. We're here to help you".

*****************************

As the sun began to shine through the window, it heralded the start of a new day, Tony and Emma sat, tired but elated, drinking yet another cup of coffee.

After Lady became the proud mother of 6 gorgeous puppies she slept peacefully in her basket.

"You know, Em'," Tony said as he smiled with a sparkle in his eyes. "This baby business doesn't seem such a bad idea. How do you feel about having one ourselves? If I can help deliver six, I'm sure I can manage one. Oh, and I promise never to refer to it as a 'woman's problem' ever again".

Emma smiled back. "It's just as well you said that".

"Why? You're not still angry with me are you?"

"No, of course not. I will be though if I wake you up in the middle of the night in seven months time and get the same response".

As she stood up to leave the room Tony took her arm and pulled her onto his lap. "Not so fast, young lady. Do you mean what I think you mean?"

Emma kissed him gently. "Yes daddy,"

He hugged her tightly. "I promise I'll be a good father".

"I know you will love", Emma said as they left Lady to rest, and went back upstairs for a well earned rest themselves."I know you will".





© Copyright 2008 Pammi (pamelap at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479076-Unexpected-Delivery