*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479654-A-Harmless-Bit-of-Fun
by Pammi
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1479654
I thought this appropriate for the time of year
“We had never realised the dangers involved. Sure, we’d been warned. The TV. and radio were forever telling us the ‘do’s and don’ts’ as were our parents. What did they know anyway? They were only trying to spoil our fun, but things were different in their day. Wasn’t that what they were always saying?

We knew what we were doing. It was just a bit of harmless fun after all. How wrong we all were. How very wrong. Our bit of harmless fun has haunted us all ever since, and scarred one of us for life.

We thought it was funny to watch people jump with fright, or run off screaming. If anyone challenged us we would threaten them or tell them to sod off. If anyone called the police we’d disappear before they could catch us.

Part of the fun was the danger, the risk of getting caught, the bravado. Showing no fear. How the rest of the gang used to look up to me. Then it happened…

A new boy was in town. He wanted to join our gang, so he had to prove he was big enough. Prove he wasn’t a ‘goody, goody.’ Part of the dare was to see how long he could hold on to it.

I was the one who put it in his hand and lit it. Why didn’t he throw it? He shouldn’t have held on to it for so long. I shouted at him to get rid of it but he didn’t.

The scream was blood curdling. The boy rolled around on the ground, his hands covering his face. We stood rigid with fear. Someone started to cry. People were gathering around him. An ambulance arrived.

The rest of the gang ran away but I couldn’t. I heard someone saying "It’s all my fault, all my fault." Then I realised it was me.

I stood watching as he was lifted onto a stretcher and rushed off to hospital. I was taken to the police station to make a statement.

The boy was badly burned on his face, and he lost two fingers. I wanted to go and see him, but I couldn’t. How could I go, and see him lying in pain, knowing that if I hadn’t encouraged him in the beginning he wouldn’t even be there?

We’re grown up now. I have children of my own and, when, as all children do, they ask me about the man with the ugly face and funny hands, I shall tell them of the dangers of playing with fireworks, and pray that they listen, as I should have listened all those years ago.”











© Copyright 2008 Pammi (pamelap at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479654-A-Harmless-Bit-of-Fun