*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479705-Chapter-2---Jak
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kay
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1479705
'Then what am I?' I became a wolf at night. What else could I be?
A thousand places had run through my head before we'd even made it to school. And a thousand more through the morning. Now, sat on the field with Tar at lunch, I finally decided.
'I want to go see Aire's rock.' I said.
Tar looked up from her food, her eyes meeting mine and swallowed, trying to hide her displeasure at the sandwich she was eating very slowly. 'Couldn't you have picked somewhere a little closer?'
I shoved the last quarter of my Banana into my mouth and mumbled a reply 'mmmmht's mmmy I mmmose mmmit mmmilly'
Tar raised her eyebrow. 'And again, minus the banana.'
I stiffled a giggle while I swallowed the remainder of my food.
'That's exactly why I chose it silly.' I smiled at her. 'I'd never get to go there otherwise.'
'We'll have to fly pretty high up Jak.' She put on her serious face. I suppressed another giggle. Her forehead screwed up funny when she tried to look serious. 'It'll be daytime over there. And it'll take a couple of hours. Even at my speed'
'Can you carry me that far? You're arm's won't get tired will they?' I hadn't really thought about the distance, or how long it would take us. Maybe Tar's super strength wouldn't be super enough. But the thought of spending two whole hours in Tar's arms... It made my heart race.
She snorted and looked at me, offended. 'Of course they won't.' She looked down at the sandwich in her hand again. 'I'll have to eat something proper first though.'
'You're going hunting again already?' She'd only been a couple of days ago. I suspected that staying up with me all night took more out of her than she let on, not that she would ever say anything to me about it. A deep feeling of Guilt swelled in my chest again. I didn't like hurting Tar. She was the only person I cared for these days. I shook the thought off before my Inner Monologue got a hold of the guilt and played on it. It was always taunting me for my insecurities and worries. Especially where Tar was concerned.
'No, if you want to spend any proper time there then we'll have to leave too early for me to hunt. I'll just have to put up with the cold stuff.' She chuckled to herself, her purple spiked hair bouncing with her. I never really understood the difference between blood from a person and the blood Tar kept in the fridge. But apparently there was a difference, and apparently it was funny.
She grinned at me, obviously still pleased with her inside joke. 'So, why Aire's rock then?' she cocked her head to the side. It made me smile, she looked a bit like a puppy when she did that.
'I dunno. Like I said, I'd never get to go there otherwise. And I've always wanted to visit Australia.'
Tell her the truth The voice in my head piped up. Tell her you want her to hold you It laughed at me. I fought to keep the blood from rushing to my cheeks, and blocked my inner monologue out.
She shrugged. 'It's very dusty.' Then she laughed and reached over to my hair. when she removed her hand I could see a twig between her fingers. 'But I guess for someone who carries bits of forest around with them, dust is nothing.'
I stuck my tongue out at her. 'I can't help it, you know that.' I took the twig off her and flicked it away. 'I don't like what happens to me you know.'
'You should. You make a pretty cute wolf.'
I slapped her around the back of her head. 'I do not.'
'Owch' She rubbed the back of her head theatrically.
'You spend every night fighting with a werewolf, and you're complaining because I tapped you?' I rolled my eyes.
'Firstly, we do not fight. You chase me.' She grinned and stuck her tongue out at me. I had the temptation to bite it. 'Secondly, you're not a werewolf.'
'Then what am I?' I became a wolf at night. What else could I be?
'I don't know! But you weren't bitten were you? and you change more often than the full moon. So you can't be a Werewolf!' I looked at her incredulously.
'That's like saying that because you come out during the day and I can't kill you with a stake that you're not a Vampyre. And since when were you're eyes brown? I thought they were blue? Did you get contacts without telling me?'
She looked away. 'The daylight thing is a myth. And who said you couldn't kill me with a stake? Have you tried?' She ignored the eye question completely.
'No, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work. Now whats with the eyes?' I grabbed her chin and pulled her face towards me.
I gasped. 'They're..Blue.'
'Well duh, they were always blue.' Her voice was shakey, and none too convincing. She was a bad liar.
'Don't lie to me, they were brown a second ago!'
She turned away from me, her voice suddenly lower. 'I don't know what you're talking about Jak. They have always been Blue.' She put extra emphasis on the word Always. She threw the remainder of her sandwich out onto the field, stood up and started to walk back towards the school. Obviously our conversation was over. 'Come on we'll be late for class.' She didn't stop to wait for me. I grabbed my bag and ran after her.
I grabbed her shoulder and she spun around. Her face looked pained. 'Tar, what's wrong? I didn't mean to upset you. I just, I don't understand! What happened with your eyes?'
Gently she wrapped her hand around mine and pulled it off her shoulder. I gasped a little. She was always so warm to touch, but now, her skin felt cold. I'd only known her be cold once, and it wasn't for a good reason. She let go of my hand quickly and sighed.
'I'm fine Jak. Just forget the eye thing. It doesn't matter. Come on. If we're late and end up with detention, we won't have time to go anywhere tonight.'
She turned away from me again and walked up the hill towards the other kids. I suddenly felt her pain as if it were my own. There was something she wasn't telling me. Well, she might not want to talk about it, but I wouldn't forget. I vowed I'd find out what was wrong, so I could help fix it. If I could fix it.
You can't the voice in my mind said mockingly. You'll just make things worse
I sighed inwardly. It was probably right.


 Chapter 3 - Tar  (13+)
'Are you worried I'm going to leave? Is that it?' She asked me.
#1479713 by Kay
© Copyright 2008 Kay (kay_e at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479705-Chapter-2---Jak