*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1480491-First-Day-Blues
by Pammi
Rated: E · Short Story · Parenting · #1480491
A young boys first day at school
"I can't believe he's going to school already,” Greg said to Emma as he spread butter on his toast.

"I know," she replied. "It seems like only yesterday we were bringing him home from hospital." Emma went to the bottom of the stairs and called out.

"Darren, come on love, you don't want to be late on your first day, do you?"

"I'm coming." He ran down to the kitchen.

Darren was 5 years old, and it was his first day at school. He was average build, with fair hair and brown eyes. He was quite an intelligent child, and seemed to understand technical equipment better than his parents. He even knew exactly how to set up and work the first Spectrum ZX video games machine when they didn't. According to his nursery school teachers, he was above average in reading, and general knowledge, but his hand writing, and Maths needed to improve.

Greg and Emma weren't too worried about that at the moment as he was only 5, and these things would improve now he was going to be at full- time school.

"Look at the state of you!" Emma started tucking in his shirt, and straightening up his tie (it was elastic so that he could take it off and put it on easily after P.E.)

"There, that's better. Now come and eat"

Darren sat at the table, and Emma poured some cereal for him.

"Morning Son." Greg looked up from reading the mail. "Are you excited about today?"

"I don't know Dad," Darren mumbled with a mouthful of cornflakes. "I'm a bit scared."

"You'll be fine. Just be good, and do your best."

Greg stood up. "Well I'm off to work. I'm very proud of you son. You can tell me all about it tonight."

"Ok Dad. Bye."

He kissed Emma on the cheek. "Bye love. See you tonight." whispering in her ear he said, "Try not to worry, I know it's your first day too, but he'll be fine."

With that he left.

*****************************

Darren walked alongside his mum on the way to school. He didn't want to hold her hand, as he thought he was too 'grown up' for that.

Some of the trees were beginning to loose their leaves and Darren would kick through them as they walked.

At the school gates there were some children he knew from nursery, and he went and spoke to them.

When the school bell rang it was as if some invisible creature had swept through the children and pinched or kicked half of them, as suddenly there was the sound of screaming, crying, clinging on to parents with wails of "I don't want to go to school!" or "Please don't leave me here mummy!" or even, "I'll run away and come home by myself then!"

Parents were trying to prise themselves away from their child, at the same time reassuring them that everything would be ok, and that they'd be there after lunch to collect them.

Eventually a peace descended over the playground, and the children all filed into school. Some having to be taken in by their parents, but most resigned to the fact that this day was really happening.

Unlike Darren heading into school, Emma was crying as she walked away home. When the bell had gone for school to start, Darren had turned to his mum and said "well, off you go then." and ran off without even giving her a kiss.

Emma felt lonely, and wondered how she would fill her days now.

"Mmm" she pondered. "I wonder how Greg would feel about having another baby."

END

Written 27/9/08 609 Words

© Copyright 2008 Pammi (pamelap at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1480491-First-Day-Blues