*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481146-Subtext
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1481146
A paranormal investigation group is missing what exists beyond the lines.
“So, this is it?”

“I guess so. Everybody’s ready upstairs and we have plenty of extra batteries in case we get some more drain… Henry’s walkie already went dead.”

“Interesting. The atmosphere is charged tonight… slightly heavy… anyone else feeling it?”

  You should be! You aren’t welcome here, what makes you assume you have the right! 


“Yeah, it’s definitely different this time. I mean, before it was creepy enough, but this time feels… I don’t know. It feels almost like we aren’t wanted. Like something is watching us.”


Oh, you think?!! You humans are SO observant! 


“OK, this oughta be good, let’s go dark and get this started. You want to start some EVP work? I was thinking the living room…?”

“Sounds good. We had some luck in there last time.”

“Sure did…”


Luck!?

Coincidence!

You humans don’t look beyond yourselves. What arrogance, as if everything happens by mere chance!



“Where do you want me to set the recorder?”

“I don’t know Vanessa… hmmm… What do you think about that dark table there in the corner, the one with the marble top?

“All right, that way I’ll be able to reach it from the sofa if the battery dies.”

“Ok. This is Vanessa, Owen, and me, Seth, in the family room. Is there anyone here who would like to make their presence known?”


Now why would I want to do that?

If it would make you leave, then in a heartbeat I’d shout my existence so loud you’d hear nothing else. I’d fill you with dread!

But no!

Seth knows how to cast me from this house… I will not leave! You humans have everything else; you can’t take this dwelling from me! 



“Did you die here?”


  Die?

No, I did not die… Cannot die!

Death is a gift which I can never receive, having never been alive!

Oh, to gain a body, to taste the fruits of the flesh! 

You take so much for granted, trod the most glorious gifts under your feet! I envy you, yet I revel in your sufferings… 



“Could you give us a sign that you’re here? Make a sound, say something, touch one of us…”


Touch you? Now this intrigues me… You know not what you ask, yet you invite it anyway…

Yes…  I think I will touch you.

Only, how to have the most effect… I could hurt you, almost too easily. You’d be frightened, but you’d soon forget.

Spiritual pain is more lasting, but not so convenient…

I could possess you. Fill your mind with my thoughts: darkness you can never comprehend! I could control you, drive you mad!

Yet, this is more enjoyable to the lesser of my kind. I’d soon grow bored with your limitations…

A caress!

Yes, something that should be loving and soothing will do the most damage in the corruption of my hands! Vanessa, to stroke your face, soft and yielding, for real! 

…Oh, this you sense!

How I adore the frozen fear in your eyes! 



© Copyright 2008 A. E. Siler (a_e_siler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481146-Subtext