*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483115-The-Inauguration-Speech-of-Frederick-II
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Biographical · #1483115
Inaugurational speech about the tragedy of his childhood and his hope for what is to come.
AN: So I was tired of nothing being on here (I will add some of my normal writing later - I just like to finish a story b4 I post it) This is a speech written in the POV of Frederick the Great for world history like 2 years ago. It laments the tragedy of his life and his hope for the future. Historically speaking he becomes a ruthless military leader, one of the people to westernize Prussia and one of the few openly gay leaders of his time. I was the only one in the class who got an A on this project I figure its good enough to post. This will be deleted when I post some new stuff but I love reviews and will reward helpful ones.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(1740)
(Accepting the Crown)

Esteemed men (and women) of the great country of Prussia:

On this ‘tragic’ day my father, Frederick William I, has passed.

I, Frederick II, am here to finally except the role I was born to play. Alas first, good people, insight of a bright future I must return to the past once more, to ensure that mistakes of the past shall NOT be seen in our future.

My friends, mine has not been the lavish, plentiful life one would expect a prince to have. Fredrick William, my father, your king, was NOT a kindly man.

Father saw my love for the French language as “effeminate”. Over the years his hate for me grew to the point where he took no shame in publicly humiliating or beating me. A fact as to which I’m sure many local merchants can attest.

As many of you know, ten years ago I was imprisoned, for treason. ‘Daddy-dearest’ forced me to watch while he had my first love, Lieutenant Hans von Katte, Executed. Fredrick William always told me, his harsh punishment was to ‘toughen me up’. All these years later I almost see the sense in his words. Almost.

BUT, my guests, father is not the reason I’m here today. I’m here because of my dearly-departed Katte’s final words. As he kneeled awaiting his fate, I sat weeping forced to watch, unable to help, from a window in the prison where I was held. I shouted to him, pleading for his forgiveness, and he looked at me, love shining in the tears that where brimming his eyes. His simple reply to my pleas was, "My prince, there is nothing to apologize for”.

Katte’s brave words, even as he faced death, stuck with me. For the duration of the time I spent in prison I studied and analyzed that simple utterance of words. It took me a while after thinking on it to realize he was completely right. My Katte meant this statement to apply to more then just the tragic end to our relationship. Katte meant that I was and will never be my father. I am not Fredrick William and his actions shouldn’t make me feel the need to be something I’m not. Katte accepted me for who I was, nothing more, nothing less.

So it is in the honor Lieutenant Hans von Katte that I take the throne. These are NOT a times of mourning the past, citizens of Prussia. These are times of looking to the future, a future so blindingly brilliant I cannot help but smile.

Will you, dear citizens, overcome your past and look to the future? Will you join me in the quest for the future?

(Pause for Applaud)

Thank you for lending me your ears, for hearing of the future I have planned for us. I know I’ll make you proud to be a Prussian.

God bless and Goodnight.
© Copyright 2008 AnimePhantasm (animephantsm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483115-The-Inauguration-Speech-of-Frederick-II