*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487930-A-change-in-owners
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1487930
How I became the owner of this little shop. 1st story of the shop of Oddities
I had just turned 40 and depressed. My writing had hit a blank wall, writer’s block I guess. The house was empty, my children all except one was gone and he was spending the weekend at his father’s house. Almost everything I had held so dear was changing. I was never the type to wallow in my misery so I decided that I had to find some inspiration. I decided that some fresh air and possibly some sightseeing in the antique shops in the little town just a few miles away might be just the thing. Looking at things from a bygone era should bring something fresh to mind. As I drove, my mind seemed to be blissfully blank and somehow that disturbed me more. It felt like my mind was in a fog. I soon passed the sign for the town boasting the "Antique Capital of Texas" I wondered if I would find my inspiration.

I pulled up the main street with all the shops and parked my car. I mindlessly wondered through three without as much as a tug of anything remotely inspiring. In the fourth shop, a few items briefly caught my attention. I was frustrated, tired and hungry. So, I climbed in my car and started for home. I thought a change in scenery might do me some good so I was taking a different route home.

I turned the corner and a shop caught my attention. It was if the sign hanging above the shop door had jumped out and hit me. I had to stop. The sign alone was enough of an inspiration that I just had to stop and write it down. "The Shop of Oddities", wow with a name like that, I had several thousand ideas come to me so before I could get out and investigate the shop I, wrote furiously in my journal.

Finally, the ideas slowed so I got out and walked into the shop. As I walked in the front door, the musical sound of sleigh bells floated in the air. I looked at the back of the door as I pushed it shut and the bells looked like something from an old-time Christmas card. Turning I took in all the sights. The shop had four rows of glass tired shelves to my right and a large plate-glass window. On the left were four glass shelves in rows of two and a long brick wall. The top half of the wall had old- timey signs. The bottom half had many different thing all leaning against each other leaning against the wall. A couple had drop cloths over them. Even thought the shop was somewhat crowded, the floor was spotless and there was not even one speck of dust.

My attention went immediately the left with everything leaning against the wall as It looked like an invitation to explore what might be hidden behind things. I took out my note pad and began writing. There was a mirror shaped like a shark fin, and a doll that looked like one that I had as a child. Then, there was a newly crocheted sweater, that's tag read “hand-made”. After several minutes of writing, I proceeded through the store writing every so often, as something else caught my imagination.

After being in the store for about thirty minutes, writing and looking I finally reached the back counter. In the corner sat an older woman in a rocking chair. For several minutes, I could only stand studying her. Embarrassment showing on my face, as if I were a child caught stealing, until she smiled. Her smile was so joyous that it seemed to radiate up and out through her eyes. Then she spoke to me, "My child you're much too young to look so sad." Then it was my turn to smile. "Well, I hope my shop is an inspiration for you? I see you're a writer." Astonishment must have crossed my face for she continued with, "Don't worry; I am just glad you’re finally here."

I moved toward her as if being drawn. Then the bells chimed and broke the spell. I stopped and looked around noticing an old couple had come in. They had stopped at a shelf near the door, and were examining the quality of an item.

The creak of the rocking chair brought my attention back to the woman in the corner. She stood gripping a cane and came to the counter near where I was standing. "You know, I was beginning to think you’d never get here."

The couple had come up from behind me so quietly I jumped when he cleared his throat.

"This is a wonderful piece I have to have it! My lovely wife here had one just yesterday when we married."

The woman was turning a bright shade of pink and swatting him. "You know it has been years since I had that wooden bowl."

He lovingly kissed her cheek. "I know, although you know you are just as beautiful now as you were then."

She looked transformed, somehow, I could almost see the young blushing bride standing there holding his arm.

The woman behind the counter smiled at them knowingly. "Wonderful, I am so glad you two found what you were looking for. Why I can wrap it for you and put it in a box so it makes a safe trip back to you lovely home." The man handed her the bowl and she rung it up on the cash register and he paid and they left without another word.

I looked back at the woman behind the register. Her knowing eyes on me, I reached forward offering my hand. "My name is Hazel."

She took my hand in hers, "My, my, my. Hazel, so you've come in search of a story or two I gather from the looks of you. So you should sit down over here on this stool and I will tell you some of my tales." She slowly walked back to her rocking chair and sat down as if knowing I would follow.

The tales she told were strange and somewhat hard to believe, it was as if she had been waiting on me to tell them. She finally stopped after a rather strange tale about a rose-colored bottle that seemed to appear just when someone needed it came into the shop.

Looking at me she said “you’re probably hungry now child.” As if released from a spell, my stomach growled. "You can come back anytime an, I can talk your ears off again. Oh and Miss Hazel, my name is Mammy."

I gave her a questioning look, "Is that really your name or what they call you?"

Her smile was back that look of pure joy. "Well now, I guess you have to come back to find out. Won't you now? An Next time, you should bring your youngen with you. I know he’ll like the place as much as you."

Although I was not sure how she knew I had a son who was still at home, I knew she was right. "You can be sure; I will be back, Mammy." I smiled and stood stretching my legs, then looked at my watch. "You're right I have not eaten since breakfast, any place you recommend for supper?"

"There is a nice place just down the street an to your right. They have the best pies. Tell them Mammy sent you; they will make sure everything is perfect for you."

"Thank you, so much for the stories, I don't think I have heard anything quite like them before," I said as I headed out the door.

I went to the restaurant and told them, Mammy sent me. I had the best food I ever ate. I could not wait till the next time I went. I knew Mat would love the place.

Several days passed before I could get back. Mat and I both loved our visits. We went every couple of days and Mat could not wait to go back.

A couple of months passed like that. Then one day when we went in Mammy told me that she would not be here much longer. She wanted us to take over the shop. I looked at her as if she had just grown horns and a tail. "What are you talking about Mammy? You are going to be here for a long time, yet."

Her smile was that of child that had candy for breakfast. "Now, Hazel, I can’t have you lie like that in front of an innocent child." Now Mat laughed aloud and I laughed too.

"Ok, so why not your children or grandchildren? Why me? You barely know me, Mammy."

Her eyes twinkled as she answered me. "No, Hazel, I knew first time I seen you writing away in the back of the store that it was to be yours."

That threw me. "You knew then that It was to be me?"

"Yep, had the papers drawn up two days later. I know it’s you. I have no kin. You an Mat will be great here." She looked at Mat. "Son I know that you’ll not be stayn that long, cause you're almost grown, but while you’re here you'll love it."

Two days later Mammy died.

After the funeral, a deputy came over to me and handed me the deed for the shop. I still could not believe it. I walked slowly to my car and opened the papers. They were signed Minnie Gale, and there was a note attached to it.I opened the letter.

Dear Hazel and Mat,
I know that my passing will cause you both grief and I have put a sign in the door that says closed till new owners get setup. The upstairs is real nice and I made sure it was spotless so that you could move in any time you want. There at last I did not go up there much I had a small room at the back of the shop. You don’t have to worry because I cleaned it out and made sure everything was put up. Don’t cry for me to much, I would say not to cry, but I know you have a big heart and wouldn’t listen to me anyhow. Just don’t take too long getting the shop back up and running, because people need that shop more than you can ever imagine.

I left you a couple of books. One is a story about some of the things that have happened in the store and the other is an itemized list of all the things in the shop and their values.

Just in case you’re worried about money all that has been taken care of. The lights and the water and taxes are paid for a couple of years. The deputy that gave you the deed will watch over the shop and no one will bother anything in the store.

Love,
Minnie Gale
Mammy


It took me a week to go back. Five years have passed since that time and it still is sad sometimes when I look over at that rocking chair. Mat is in now in college, but every chance he gets he comes home and visits. I do my best to keep the shop as clean as she did and I share tales with the few who want to hear them. I have kept the book of tales of the items and people that visit the shop and have added a few some of which I would never have believed, If I had not been there.

That is how I became the owner of “The Shop of Oddities.”
© Copyright 2008 rjsimonson (rjsimonson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487930-A-change-in-owners