*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488818-A-Day-in-the-Life
by peace
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1488818
Chapter 7 Looking back
I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. -Helen Keller


Laura had been at the food center for a couple hours arranging her plants and veggies. Marissa and Kenya were inventorying the fruit section when they decided they had had enough of produce and asked if Grandma wanted to go for a stroll.

"Only if we go to the north trail, I want to check on my herbs."

"That’s fine with us Gramma, it's just a perfect day for a walk, not too warm, not too cold.” Marissa was delighted to be able to go somewhere with her gran and little sister, she could never get enough of them.

It took a long time to walk through the village, even thought the heart of Idyll was less than a half kilometer long. The three of them had to stop at least a dozen times to chat with friends, it seemed the majority of the villagers had opted to take advantage of the 'perfect day' and were milling about at one of the fifteen structures that composed the village or maybe heading home to relax with family.

Laura glanced toward the beach where Douglas frequently basked but he wasn't yet back from his jaunt with Louis. She looked behind her to find Marissa animatedly jabbering to another 12 year old and little Kenya trying to keep up with the conversation. It hadn't been chilly enough lately to wear clothing but today was just brisk enough to provide Marissa with an excuse to wear and show off the new duds her aunt had made her.

Since the girls had paused, Laura decided to veer off towards the MAI (Music and Art Institute) to better hear the faint sounds of the tender rhapsody that was floating on the ocean breeze. It was soft rock but she couldn't identify the original artist even though she knew it was her daughter on the piano. The present day songwriters could not match the sophisticated nuances that pre-historical artists had developed, but the maestro had taught the most musically inclined to play masterfully. No one could tickle the ivories as deftly as Sherryl. Eventually she sat on the bench next to the path, closed her eyes and felt the music.

"Your song", Marissa said as she sat down on the bench next to her grandmother.

"I wish it were, it's so pretty."

"No Gramma, that's the name of it, Your Song, written by Taupin and John, those two wrote a lot of songs in the prehistoric age."

"Yeah, I think I knew that once upon a time." They sat and listened while Kenya did her best to sing along. After a couple more tunes Marissa said;” let’s go visit those herbs, I know they must be missing you horribly."

As they walked along the road Laura couldn't help but think how lucky she was, looking at her two beautiful granddaughters, knowing how smart they were made her feel proud. She knew she was too sappy about everything but no one seemed to mind because she felt that way about everybody. She loved her life, her kids, her grandkids and all her friends, which was everybody in town. She loved her plants and she loved to make anything better. She knew how too, if somebody got sick or even had a scratch or a little boo-boo, she could fix it. That was her thing, her daughter Sherryl loved music, Liz loved crafting things, Louie loved adventure and each of her five grandkids had multiple passions to be explored.

Then there was Douglas. Laura loved everybody, really loved and admired every soul, but the thought of Douglas somehow could take that one step further. Monogamy, like everything else, was optional in Idyll, but being with anyone else just wasn't as thrilling or fulfilling as being with Douglas. When she was younger all she could think of was having his babies and those babies were an extension of both of them. Today she spoiled her grandbabies as rotten as she had spoiled her own.

She picked up Kenya, twirled a few times and kissed her on the forehead, "did I ever tell you that you're beautiful?"

"Ahh, I don't think so Gramma, why don't you tell me again?"

"Oh, maybe later, there's something important I have to do right now." She put her down, walked over to Marissa, "and you too".
She grabbed each one by the hand as they entered the forest.
© Copyright 2008 peace (locke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488818-A-Day-in-the-Life