*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490650-The-Phoenix
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Thriller/Suspense · #1490650
Betrayed and thought dead, Dryson is back with one hell of a vengeance
INT.  POST OFFICE.      BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK  -      NIGHT
(While opening credits are rolling)
BRUCE walks into POST OFFICE and approaches MAILBOX.  BRUCE opens with KEY and takes out an ENVELOPE and opens it up.  BRUCE pulls out a NOTE, reads it, then crumples it up and throws it in a TRASHCAN, then throws a lit MATCH in the TRASHCAN, burning the NOTE.

EXT.    THE ALLEYWAY.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    -    NIGHT

A MAN (DRYSON) appears in shadows. Only his silhouette is seen.  He glances around, looking and waiting.  Moments later, a SECOND MAN (BRUCE) appears.  They shake hands.  They talk for a minute, then BRUCE hands DRYSON a briefcase.  He opens it, looks in, and then closes it.  He lights a cigarette as BRUCE says something.  The conversation seems to heat up.  They begin to argue.  DRYSON punches BRUCE.  BRUCE checks his mouth for blood.  He then reaches into his coat for a gun and shoots DRYSON in the head.  DRYSON falls to the ground, dropping the briefcase.  BRUCE takes the briefcase back and throws the gun at the body and leaves.

FADE TO:

INT.    A  BAR.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON is sitting at the bar, his head in his hands.  He is holding a glass.  The door opens as a HENCHMAN (HARRY) walks in and takes a seat next to him.  HARRY does not look at him.

HARRY
(thick accent)

Hey barkeep, give me some whiskey.

HARRY looks around the bar and sees DRYSON next to him but does not recognize him.

HARRY

Hey pal, are you alright?  Looks like you’ve been through hell.

DRYSON
(muttering)

You can say that again.

HARRY

So what are you looking for at the bottom of that glass?

DRYSON

Answers.

HARRY

What kind of answers?

DRYSON
(looking up)

Answers to questions I don’t know.

HARRY looks at DRYSON’S face, and recognizes it immediately.

HARRY
(terrified and stuttering)

You’re dead!

DRYSON
(realizing whom he’s talking to)

What?  Harry?

HARRY

You’re supposed to be dead!

CUT TO:

EXT.    THE ALLEYWAY.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    –    NIGHT

DRYSON is lying face down on the ground.  The gun is near by.  DRYSON gets up slowly.  He looks around confused.  His cigarette is burnt out next to him.  DRYSON pats himself down then looks at the gun.  He picks it up and puts it in his coat.  He walks down the alleyway.
CUT TO:

INT.    A BAR.    -    NIGHT

Out of the flashback, DRYSON is now grabbing HARRY by the jacket.

DRYSON
(yelling)

What do you know about it?  Harry, what happened to me?  I can’t remember anything!

HARRY
(in a frantic denial)

No, no, no, no, no this can’t be happening!

DRYSON

It seems I’ve been looking for answers in all the wrong places.

DRYSON then grabs HARRY off of his stool and drags him towards the bathroom, checking back to make sure no one is watching.  The BARKEEP then places a glass on the bar, looking around for the two of them.  DRYSON pushes HARRY into the bathroom.  Voices are heard, but they are distorted behind the closed door.  The conversation continues as the voices get louder until a final gunshot is heard.  DRYSON walks out calmly, drying his hands on a towel.

DRYSON
(V.O)

He told me everything he knew. He sang like a goddamn fucking canary.  The low ranked never are. He didn’t know much though, but he did give me a name, one I knew but couldn’t remember.  My memories are not what they used to be, in fact, I don’t remember much of who I used to be.  But that’s beside the point.  He gave me this name, and an address, and that’s all I wanted, all I needed.  And well, of course this gun.

DRYSON approaches the bar and tosses a twenty-dollar bill on the counter.  He walks away and points at the bathroom.

DRYSON
(calmly)

I wouldn’t go in there if I were you, made quite a mess.

FADE TO BLACK

DRYSON
(V.O.)

Harry: the son of a bitch actually helped me.  Sold out his brothers to save his own ass.  So I shot him.  He did help me out, but you don’t betray your brothers.  Law number one, he knows that, we all know that, and we all live… or lived by it.

INT.    INSIDE A CAR.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON is sitting inside a car, smoking a cigarette.  He is parked in front of a building.  He sits, listening to the radio and watching the door of the building.  The clock turns 6:00.  The door opens and a few people walk out.  DRYSON gets out and kills the men in an extended fight scene.  He shoots them to finish it.

CUT TO

INT/EXT.    INSIDE A CAR.    DRIVING.    -    DAY

DRYSON
(V.O.)

A name and an address.  A familiar name with a familiar place.  The old hang out.  The place where video games turned real, and toys became a reality.  Fights, guns, booze, knives, and… murders.  But nothing phased us, it was all… normal.  Like how a little kid wouldn’t think twice about seeing his friends play baseball in the front yard.  While the kids played in the day, we played at night.  The nighttime became our time.  We were fucking kids.  Introduced into the night life and crime life while our voices were still cracking.  The whole gang, driving around, picking up chicks and whores, E and dope; it didn’t matter.  We did whatever the fuck we wanted.  Oh the good old days.

DRYSON pulls over and gets out of the car.  He stands by an open door.

DRYSON
(V.O. cont’d)

What fucking happened to us?  We had it all…we had everything we wanted; money, chicks, we lived how we wanted.  But where did it all go wrong?  Well here I am, ready to find the fucking answers, ready to find out who betrayed us.

DRYSON slams the door.

CUT TO

EXT.    PHONEBOOTH.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    -    DAY

DRYSON walks into the phone booth and picks up the phone.  He dials. A MYSTERIOUS VOICE (M.V.) answers.

M.V.

Who is it?

DRYSON

Who do you think?

M.V.

It’s about fucking time. Did you get him?

DRYSON

Of course I did, don’t pull that shit on me.  He left at 6:00.  I got him at fucking 6:00, him and a few of his guys.

M.V.

Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to? Who the fuck do you think you are, talking to me like that? I ought to fucking kill you for talking to me like that you son of a bitch!

DRYSON

You wouldn’t you fucking old bastard.  I’m your best guy.  I hit every target you give me and never draw any questions, your way or mine.  Just tell me where I can get my money for the job.

M.V.

You egotistical son of a bitch, you think you’re so great y-

DRYSON
(cutting him off)
I know I’m great!

M.V.
You better watch your fucking tone. 

DRYSON
Just tell me where I can get my goddamn money for the hit.

M.V.

Yeah, whatever.  Meet in the alley behind 5th and Pine. 10:00.  Someone will be there.

DRYSON

Sure. 10:00. I’ll be there.

M.V.

Yeah.  You’ll get your next target there, too.  And next time you talk to me, think about who’s the boss here.  And fucking bite your tongue before you bring that condescending tone by way before you pick up the phone.

DRYSON slams the phone down.

DRYSON

Fuck you.

FADE TO BLACK


INT.    IN A HOUSE.    -    DAY

BRANDON and TWO HENCHMAN are sitting around counting money and cutting drugs. There is a knock on the door (DRYSON).

HENCHMAN 1
(yelling)

Who’s there?

DRYSON

Delivery.

HENCHMAN 1

What delivery? We didn’t order anything.

DRYSON

Just sign for the package, please.

HENCHMAN 1 opens the door slowly and then DRYSON kicks it in, smashing HENCHMAN 1 in the face.  DRYSON runs in and closes the door.  HENCHMAN 1 is stunned and reaches for his gun and pulls it out as BRANDON and HENCHMAN 2 run over to aid.  There is a fight scene in which DRYSON is shot but does not die.  DRYSON then kills HENCHMAN 1 and HENCHMAN 2.  He restrains BRANDON.

BRANDON
(frightened)

Who the fuck are you?

DRYSON

Who the fuck do you think it is, look at me you piece of shit

BRANDON

Fuck you! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?

DRYSON kicks BRANDON to the ground.  BRANDON turns over to see DRYSON standing over him with a GUN.

BRANDON

Holy shit! How the fuck are you alive?

DRYSON

Law number two: always confirm the kill, Brandon!

DRYSON kicks BRANDON in the chest again.

BRANDON
(coughing)

I didn’t fucking shoot you!

DRYSON

                                                      Shot me…

DRYSON grabs BRANDON by the shirt

                                    What the fuck happened to me?


BRANDON

I don’t know! I didn’t do anything. Shit, shit , shit don’t fucking kill me. It wasn’t me!

DRYSON
(yelling)

Who the fuck was it?

BRANDON

It was Bruce!
CUT TO:

EXT.    THE ALLEYWAY.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    -    NIGHT

A MAN (DRYSON) appears in shadows. Only his silhouette is seen.  He glances around, looking and waiting.  Moments later, a SECOND MAN (BRUCE) appears.  They shake hands.  They talk for a minute, then BRUCE hands DRYSON a briefcase.  He opens it, looks in, and then closes it.  He lights a cigarette as BRUCE says something.  The conversation seems to heat up.  They begin to argue.  DRYSON punches BRUCE.  BRUCE checks his mouth for blood.  He then reaches into his coat for a gun and shoots DRYSON in the head.  DRYSON falls to the ground, dropping the briefcase.  BRUCE takes the briefcase back and throws the gun at the body and leaves.




DRYSON

Where is that son of a bitch?

BRANDON

He’s on a job.

DRYSON

Where?

BRANDON

I don’t know!

DRYSON

DRYSON sticks GUN to BRANDON’S face


Where?

BRANDON
                   I don’t fucking know, Dryson!
DRYSON picks BRANDON up off the ground.

DRYSON
(in a low voice)

Why?

BRANDON

‘Cause he didn’t fucking tell me! He’s just out on a job somewhere

DRYSON
(yelling)

No, why did he shoot me?

BRANDON
(stuttering)

I don’t know! He didn’t say!

DRYSON

Lying son of a bitch!

DRYSON then shoots BRANDON and leaves the room.

DRYSON
(V.O.)

He stuck to the code.  Never betray your brothers.  Brandon was always my favorite of the gang.  The kind of kid who looked up to everyone, and would do whatever you want.  A good lackey, but a terrible hitman.  But I couldn’t trust anyone anymore, for all I know they were all in this together.  I did him a favor, a quick death. Killed him before Bruce had a chance to kill him, too.

INT.  POST OFFICE.      BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK  -      NIGHT
BRUCE walks into POST OFFICE and approaches MAILBOX.  BRUCE opens with KEY and takes out an ENVELOPE and opens it up.  BRUCE pulls out a NOTE, reads it, then crumples it up and throws it in a TRASHCAN, then throws a lit MATCH in the TRASHCAN, burning the NOTE.  This time you can see the name DRYSON written on the NOTE as it is burning.


FADE TO:
EXT.    IN FRONT OF A WAREHOUSE.          -    DAY

DRYSON is walking towards his car.  He lights another cigarette.  A VOICE (LUCIFER) speaks.

LUCIFER
(whispering)

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

DRYSON turns around quickly, twisting the newcomer’s arm behind him, and pressing a gun to his face.

LUCIFER
(teasingly)

Tick-tock.

DRYSON recognizes LUCIFER.  He lowers his gun and lets him go.

DRYSON

Yeah, I know.  I’m working on it over here.
DRYSON wipes BLOOD off of his clothes


LUCIFER

Oh, of course you are.  By all means, continue.

DRYSON

What are you doing here, anyways? I still have a few days left.

LUCIFER

Of course you do.  That doesn’t mean that I don’t want to check up on my new acquisition.

DRYSON

By the time I’m done, you’ll have plenty of new acquisitions.

LUCIFER

Splendid.

DRYSON

How about you let me go about my business and get the fuck out of here?

LUCIFER
(chuckling)

Whatever you wish.  I’ll be seeing you shortly.  Remember our deal.

FADE TO:

EXT.    THE ALLEYWAY.    BLACK & WHITE.  FLASHBACK.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON is lying dead on the ground after being shot.  Blood is flowing from the wound.  His cigarette burns on the ground.  The blood suddenly stops, and reverses.  There is no more blood.  DRYSON’S eyes open.


LUCIFER

You know my terms.  You only have a few days.

DRYSON

Yeah, yeah I know.

LUCIFER then disappears and DRSON walks toward the WAREHOUSE.

DRYSON
(V.O.)

He may own my soul, but the jokes on him- I never had one to begin with.



INT.    DRIVING IN A CAR.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON
(V.O.)

Everything we worked so hard to build is sifting away like sand in my blood stained hands.  People go to school, learn how to be assets to the community, get an education, get a respected job, family, mini van, the whole works.  We didn’t.  Me, Bruce, Brandon, Harry, Dave and the rest of the gang didn’t.  We learned from the uneducated, and aspired to their ways.  Most teenagers played with bb guns and grand theft auto on PS fucking 2.  We had cold metal grips in our hands, and grand theft auto on all our rap sheets.  In the streets of this hellhole, it was killed or be killed.  So we killed… and killed and killed.  And we got pretty fucking good at it.  We made our own profession, and got noticed by a few of the drug and arms dealers of the city.  We organized, created a brotherhood.  They paid, and we swept their dirt under the rug.  Mostly we killed thugs who didn’t pay, or rival dealers.  Sometimes even just for kicks.  The Sweepers, that’s what we called ourselves.  We didn’t- I didn’t care, as long as I got my money. The fact that I left fatherless sons and brotherless sisters to deal with this fucked up city never occurred to me, until it was me staring down the barrel. Now it was time to avenge all of those I’ve killed and finally end our group once and for all.  Law number one: never betray your brothers… Fuck it, they betrayed me first.

FADE TO:

INT/EXT.    SITTING IN A CAR.  OUTSIDE A BUILDING.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON is sitting in his CAR.  He looks at the building where BRUCE is supposed to be.  DRYSON takes a drag on his CIGARETTE, then looks down at his GUN.

DRYSON
(V.O)

This is the place.  Bruce’s car sitting over  there.  He must be inside, putting bullets inside of some drug peddling junkie.

DRYSON takes a drag on his CIGARETTE.
                                                 His car’s been there a long time…
DRYSON looks at clock
                                               This isn’t like Bruce, he’s usually in and out…. Something’s not
right.  What if this…
                             
Trailing off, DRYSON looks around.

DRYSON
(V.O.)

…is a trap.

DRYSON looks to his left at a POLICE OFFICER tapping on his window.

POLICE OFFICER

Please step out of the car, sir.

DRYSON

Is there a problem, officer?

POLICE OFFICER

Step out of the vehicle, now.

DRYSON slowly gets out of his CAR, hiding his GUN in his pocket.

DRYSON

Did I do something wrong, officer?

POLICE OFFICER

Suspicious activity.  Get against the car and spread ‘em.

DRYSON gets against the car and the POLICE OFFICER begins to pat him down.

DRYSON
(V.O.)

That son of a bitch.  How did he know I was here? He had to have called the pigs on me.  This is the first time I’ve seen an active cop in this part of town since fucking career day in elementary school.  But why would Bruce call the fucking 5-0? Why wouldn’t he just …

DRYSON begins to smile as the cop feels the GUN in his pocket.

POLICE OFFICER

What do you have here?

The POLICE OFFICER reaches for the GUN inside DRYSON’S pocket.  DRYSON fights and uses HANDCUFFS to restrain the POLICE OFFICER.

POLICE OFFICER

Who the fuck do you think you are? You just assaulted a police officer, asshole!  You’re in shitload of fucking trouble now, jerkoff

DRYSON

Give me a fucking break, douche bag.

DRYSON reaches into the POLICE OFFICER’S pocket and pulls out a WALLET.

DRYSON

No badge “officer” Michael Holmes?

POLICE OFFICER

What the fuck are you talking about?

DRYSON

I know you’re not a pig.  I’ve known Bruce my whole fucking life, and he would never talk to a fucking pig, no matter the cost.  Did he hire you?

POLICE OFFICER

What are you talking about? Who’s Bruce? Get these fucking handcuffs off me!

DRYSON

As you wish…

DRYSON reaches behind the POLICE OFFICER and you hear a snap as he breaks his fingers.  As the POLICE OFFICER screams.


DRYSON

One last time. Did Bruce hir…

POLICE OFFICER
(screaming)

YES, YES FUCKING YES.  He told me to show up
said to pick you up and bring you to him, handcuffed and unarmed.

DRYSON

Did he tell you anything else?

POLICE OFFICER

No! Just to bring you in! That’s it!

DRYSON

Bring me in where?

CUT TO:

EXT.    THE ALLEYWAY.  BLACK & WHITE.    -    NIGHT

This is the omniscient view of the original scene.  We can hear DRYSON and BRUCE converse.  DRYSON appears, looking around.  Seconds later, BRUCE appears, and they shake hands.

DRYSON

Bruce? What are you doing here? You’re not a deliveryman…

BRUCE

I know, but I’ve been trying to get in good with the old man, trying to secure a few more jobs for us, you know?

DRYSON
(sounding skeptical)

Yeah, sure.  You got the money?

BRUCE hands over a SUITCASE, which DRYSON checks in, and realizing his money is there, he closes it and puts it down.

BRUCE

I heard you took out four of them.

DRYSON starts to light a CIGARETTE.

DRYSON

Yeah.

BRUCE

You got skills. You know that?

DRYSON

Yeah, I do.

BRUCE

Always the modest one.

DRYSON

Always the honest one.

BRUCE laughs to himself.

BRUCE

We can do better than this, you know?

DRYSON

Better than what?

BRUCE

Better than this, this town, this life.  We’re better than this.

DRYSON

What are you saying?

BRUCE

We leave.  We pack up everything and head out.

DRYSON takes a long drag on his CIGARETTE.

DRYSON

What have you heard?

BRUCE

What?

DRYSON

What have you heard? Why do you want to leave now? Why right now?

BRUCE

It’s not what I’ve heard… it’s what I’ve been told.

DRYSON

And that is?

BRUCE

An offer.

DRYSON

What kind of offer?

BRUCE

A job offer.

DRYSON

For all of us?

BRUCE

Not quite.

DRYSON

Just us then?

BRUCE

Yeah, he said he only-

DRYSON
(cutting him off)

What about the others?  What about Brandon and Harry and Dave?

BRUCE

We had to leave them behind, he only needs-

DRYSON
(cutting him off, becoming increasingly angry)

Leave them behind?

BRUCE

It’s the only way to do this! Listen! We can double the money if we just leave them here!

DRYSON

I can’t fucking believe this you son of a bitch!  How can you just forget about them like this?  Law number one: Never betray-

BRUCE
(cutting him off)

Don’t pull those fucking laws on me now, jackass!  I know them and I’ve lived by them long enough!

DRYSON

Yeah, long enough to break them you fucker!

BRUCE

Dryson, come on! We have talent!

DRYSON

I have talent, you have luck.


BRUCE

Call it what you want, you egotistical son of a bitch.  We get the kills; we get the money.  The others live off what we get.  Does that sound fair to you?

DRYSON

Luck and persistence won't work forever.

BRUCE

We deserve better! We don’t need those jokers anymore! The Sweepers?  We’re the Sweepers!  Brandon and Harry and Dave? They’re nothing! They’re jokes.  The rest of the gang? Fuck them, we’ve been carrying them for way too fucking long.

DRYSON punches BRUCE in the face.  BRUCE stumbles back, checking his mouth for blood.

BRUCE

So I take it you’re not gonna come?

DRYSON

Fuck you.

BRUCE

You don’t understand!  The money! The power!  He’ll only give me the job if you come with me! Don’t be so fucking selfish, think about me!  Think about everything we’ve done here, everything we’ve accomplished!

DRYSON

The only thing you’ve done, the only thing you’ve accomplished is selling out your brothers for a few extra bucks.  You despicable bastard.  Never betray the brotherhood!

BRUCE whips out his GUN and shoots DRYSON in the head.  DRYSON falls to the ground.

BRUCE

Never betray the brotherhood, huh?  Then why didn’t you go with me, you son of a bitch?  You betrayed me, my brother.

BRUCE throws the GUN down and takes the SUITCASE.  DRYSON is lying on the ground, blood pouring out of him.  A voice (LUCIFER) calls out to DRYSON.


LUCIFER

Do you really want to do this?

DRYSON

Yes.

LUCIFER

You know that your soul will be mine to do with as I please for all of eternity?

DRYSON

It’s worth it.

LUCIFER

So be it, a deal’s a deal.  One soul for one second chance.  You have two days back on earth to try to find those responsible for your death.  Then you’re back here in Hell with me.

DRYSON

Where do I sign?

FADE TO BLACK

INT.    A DARK ROOM.    -    NIGHT

DRYSON is sitting in a chair, while the light from his cigarette burns.

DRYSON
(V.O.)

Law number one:  never betray the brotherhood.  I came up with that one.  Seemed a worthy law at the time.  Now I’ve killed almost every one of my brothers.  I’m no better than Bruce.  My memories back and I remember everything.  Brandon and Harry had nothing to do with it.  They had no idea why Bruce killed me, and I killed them anyways.  Fuck.  They were good kids, as good as criminals and murderers get that is.  I’ve pieced together everything.  It was only Bruce.  He pulled the trigger, that fucking bastard.  Well, I still have my second chance.  My second chance to kill Bruce, something I should have done a long time ago.  Where is that son of a bitch?  Where is that traitorous bastard now?  Not much fucking time left…

The DOOR creaks open, and BRUCE and DAVE walk inside.  They close the DOOR behind them and the light turns on.

DRYSON

Well, well, well, what do we have here?


DAVE
(Angrily shouting)

They’re dead! They’re dead and you killed them all! Die with them!
DAVE pulls out GUN and shoots DRYSON who is sitting calmly in chair
He is shot and bleeding, but does not die
DRYSON pulls out gun and fires back, killing DAVE


DRYSON points a GUN at BRUCE.

BRUCE

Why won’t you fucking die already? I shot you in the fucking head! Hell, you just got shot right fucking now and you’re acting as if he just threw that bullet at you instead of lodging it in your fucking chest!





DRYSON
(smiling)

Law number two: always confirm the kill.

BRUCE

You were fucking bleeding out your skull! Your brains were all over the goddamn pavement!  You’re fucking bleeding now for Christ sake!

DRYSON

Blood and brains mean nothing to me, no more than the flesh and bones that you see before you now.

BRUCE

What the fuck are you talking about, Dryson?

DRYSON

I am no longer.  I exist solely to kill you.

BRUCE

Why won’t you just fucking die already, Dryson?

DRYSON

I’m already dead. I made a deal, one I intend to keep

BRUCE

A deal?  (pause) What the fuck are you doing here, how did you know I’d be here?

DRYSON

Seems like you should’ve picked some better and more loyal friends, Bruce.

BRUCE

You killed them?

DRYSON

Yeah, Brandon and Harry.  And your cop friend.

BRUCE
(laughing slightly)

You didn’t kill Brandon, how do you think I knew where you were tonight?

DRYSON
(confused)

What?

BRUCE

He called and warned me about you. Seems my friends are more loyal than you think.  Seems like you didn’t confirm the kill either.

DRYSON

Those laws don’t apply to me anymore.  I’m not a Sweeper anymore.  I’m not anybody anymore.  All I am is vengeance.

DRYSON stands up, still pointing the GUN at BRUCE.

BRUCE

So are you gonna kill me, or what?

DRYSON

Soon enough, Bruce.

DRYSON cocks the GUN.

DRYSON

When I look at you, I’m reminded of everything I hate about myself. You know, it hurts.

BRUCE

Spare me the sentimentality, we’re both to blame here. You kill, I kill.  What’s with this change of heart?

DRYSON

I always saw the faces of the people I killed, but I never looked at them.  It’s different when you see them swarming around you; liveless ghosts aimlessly drifting for eternity


BRUCE

Hey, we all killed people, apparently you just went soft on us now, is that why you wouldn’t take the job?

DRYSON
(yelling)

The choice of deciding who lives and who dies is not yours and was never yours to make.

BRUCE

Jesus fucking Christ, the old man was wrong about you


DRYSON

Yeah, we were all wrong, even me.

BRUCE

No, you fucking goddamn idiot.  The job. You and me.

DRYSON moves in closer, moving the GUN to BRUCE’S head.


DRYSON

What are you talking about?

BRUCE

Who do you think offered me the job?


DRYSON sticks the GUN harder to BRUCE’S head, his hand shaking.

M.V.
(V.O. of previous scene)

Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?  Who the fuck do you think you are talking to me like that?  I oughta fucking kill you for talking like that you son of a bitch.

DRYSON
(shouting)

Why the fuck would he offer me another job? We were doing everything for him here!

BRUCE

He wanted to loose the dead weight.  Start again in a new city, new people.  He wanted a few people he could trust.  Me and you, and our skills.

DRYSON

That’s why you brought the money that time.  To test me.

BRUCE

He didn’t think you would go for me.  Told me to kill you if you said no.  He couldn’t have you running back to everyone and telling them

DRYSON

Law number 3, Bruce; Die for your brothers.

BRUCE

We were all dying Dryson, couldn’t you see that? We’re all dying in this city.  If we went somewhere else, we could restart, rebuild! There’s no place to go but up from here!

DRYSON

That’s where you’re wrong, Bruce.

DRYSON pulls the trigger of the GUN, killing BRUCE.  Pauses, then fires off the rest of the clip

DRYSON
(V.O)
Always confirm the kill, fucking asshole

DRYSON tosses the GUN down at the body, in the same fashion it was tossed on him.  DRYSON goes to leave the room, but LUCIFER appears at the doorway.  DRYSON pulls a GUN out from his jacket and points it at LUCIFER.

DRYSON

Move.

LUCIFER

I can’t do that.  It’s time.

DRYSON looks at the CLOCK on the wall as the first chime of midnight is heard.

DRYSON
(pleading)

No! I have one more person to find!

DRYSON tries to push past LUCIFER, who stands in place and shoves him back.

LUCIFER

No, you don’t.  Times up.  A deal’s a deal.

DRYSON
DRYSON screams in agony


NO! I still need to find one more person! He fucking betrayed me first! He ordered the hit, even if Bruce was the one to do it!



LUCIFER

Didn’t get him in the end?

DRYSON drops to his knees.

DRYSON
(screams)

You son of a bitch!

LUCIFER

But you know who it was now?

DRYSON

Yeah.

The final chime of midnight is heard.

DRYSON

The old man, my boss… our dad.

DISSOLVE OUT:

ROLL CREDITS

DRYSON
(V.O.)

My own dad: the man who taught me everything.  The man who made me who I am.  Or  who I was.  The biggest arms dealer in that hellhole.  Our mother died when Brandon was born, I was only 10.  We were all fucking little kids.  Dad got over it with drugs, alcohol and any goddamn slut that he could find.  He got carried away with it all.  He became transfixed with his fixes, doing whatever he could for another hit.  We all sat and watched as our happy family turned quickly into hell.  He turned us into monsters.  He handed me a gun at the age of thirteen, and ever since then I had been killing for him, killing for anyone who would pay.  Running drugs, stealing, anything that we could do to bring money back to him.  But in the end it turns out he never cared for us.  He only thought of us as employees, not his own kids, his family.  He had me killed for being loyal, for following his rules.  Stay loyal to the brotherhood, to the sweepers.  He made us, and we made him.  The Sweepers took care of everything for him: all his bookies, all his enemies, and everyone in between.  And still, he didn’t think twice about ordering a hit on his first born son, to be carried out by my own little brother.  Our brotherhood.  A bond stronger than friendship, a bond of blood and flesh.  It seems like loyalty doesn’t run in the family like killing does.  Betrayal and murder stick to our family name like cowards to France.  I had a second chance, a chance for revenge, but I failed.  I’ll wait here in Hell, wait for him.  Here with the other Sweepers.  All of us where we belong.  It won’t be too long now. Without us, he’s nothing.  Without us: his bodyguards.  Without me, he’s as good as dead. 
© Copyright 2008 JMDiMascio (jmdimascio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490650-The-Phoenix