*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490990-PROLOGUE
Rated: 13+ · Preface · Action/Adventure · #1490990
This was the first of my New Beginning, But I decided that maybe it was a better prologue.

PROLOGUE




In the beginning the terror alerts were nothing more than words. For a short while it kept the terrorists at bay, but soon enough they figured out ways to plan and execute their missions without raising suspicions. The most deadly of all attacks had lasting repercussions.

In the midst of all that was happening the terror cells found an opportunity to attack America at its heart? A small group of operatives infiltrated the security, and manage to sneak onto a military post. In their short period on base, they planted between 20 and 30 explosive devices, all containing deadly chemical weapons. As the anniversary of 9/11 drew near, the terror level went up, but by that time it was too late.

As the sun rose on the military installation on September 11, 2025 numerous explosions rocked the sleeping countryside. The first pictures showed buildings reduced to smoking rubble, and injured people looking for medical assistance. Medical teams, from all over the United States, arrived on the scene to treat the injured. As the day progressed it became obvious that they were dealing with more than just burns, cuts, and abrasions. The CDC began to test for all known chemical weapons, while scientific investigators were brought in to help identify any possible causes for the symptoms coming to light. What the investigators found was worse than they ever anticipated. The data showed that the various chemicals that had been released combined to create an ever-mutating virus, a virus that became known as 'Pandora's Box'. The initial diagnosis was that the toxins seemed to affect the hippocampus, the portion of the frontal lobe that controls memory. With further study they discovered that once the toxins enter the body they form a second virus that deteriorates the body from the inside, beginning at the initial point of entry. In most cases this was the nose or mouth, no one could contain a sample long enough to create a vaccine.
Before any information was given out to the press the government made every attempt to isolate and identify the toxins, without any luck unfortunately. The news finally leaked to the press and then ballooned out of control. All governmental agencies tried to control the situation, but panic had struck the masses. The fact that no vaccine had been found only served to amplify the situation. Riots broke out across the entire nation, looting, hording of supplies became commonplace in the news. Pandora's Box kept mutating and spreading, the predicted gestation period for the mutating was estimated to be between two and three months. After that the mutation was expected to start creating its own anti-toxin. Even this news did not calm the nerves of the nation.

The agencies all gathered to form a plan of attack, any solution to keep the President and Vice President safe from contamination. A unanimous decision to isolate the leaders in the NORAD facility was approved and put into action. All vital documents were secured, and personnel were instructed to pack their personal belongings and prepare for a long stay. Once put into action, the news reached the public eye in no time. With this new information, a second wave of terror and panic swept the nation, and marshal law was ordered into effect. All active duty and National Guard units were put into action. Rumors of several underground bases began to emerge, and people began seeking these anomalies to try and survive the oncoming catastrophe.
By The end of the three-month gestation period Pandora's Box had not only continued to mutate but also had infected 80% of the planets population. In the end no one claimed the attacks, leaving the US government holding the bag. By now the virus had eliminated almost every breathing creature on the face of the planet.
As time passed the virus did mutate into it's own anti-toxin, but by the time it had eliminated itself, only handfuls of people survived. Most were too young to remember the technological advances of the twentieth century, and those who did were either so affected by the virus that they could not communicate how to use it.
Time passed and civilization returned the cultures took on different time periods, some more advanced than others. It became an eclectic blend of past meets present. Tribes popped up through out the continent, each one governed by its own leaders. Warring factions battled for control of land, be it for grazing or just sheer domination. The once settled peoples of the United States were now nomads, constantly moving, following the herds, and for some of them this was their only means of survival.





CHAPTER ONE LOSING SHIA "CHAPTER ONE LOSING SHIA
© Copyright 2008 Mountain King (ghost_writer38 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490990-PROLOGUE