*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1491676-Prophecy-Book-1-Ch-2
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1491676
1 pixie princess, 1 prophesied hero, and 1 immortal assassin work to unite 2 worlds
Chapter 2: Ireland

         A few days later, Kasey and Brian found themselves at the airport. Brian had made sure his mother was set, but was still determined to check in on her every few days. He thanked the Lord that his mother had made him go with her on her trip to Mexico; the passport he had thought he would never need again was safely in his back pocket, ready to be shown to the lady behind the ticket counter. Kasey had handled all of the arrangements; it seemed her grandparents were as famous as her parents. 

         “Miss MacKenna, we thank you for choosing to fly with us. Take off is at 8:30, and then it’s a seven-hour flight to your layover in Heathrow. The layover is about an hour and 45 minutes, then an hour more to Cork. Is there anything you or your companion need before the flight begins?” The flight attendant looked to be in her early twenties. Though she was talking to Kasey, she smiled flirtatiously at Brian, tucking a strand of bleached blonde hair behind her ear.

         “Some privacy would be nice, if you don’t mind.” Kasey’s tone held a hint of iciness Brian had never heard her use before. Ever since the day before, Kasey had been acting increasingly odd.

         “Of course, not a problem.” The woman stammered, clearly uncomfortable. She left them then and Kasey popped her headphones in. They stayed that way for about an hour; Kasey listening to her music and working on a word search while Brian read a book from his summer reading list. Brian could hear the angry buzz coming from Kasey’s headphones; she was listening to a lot of fast-paced, loud music and kept looking around the plane.

         “Are you ok Kase?” Brian asked, tapping her shoulder to get her attention.

         “What?” She nearly screamed at him, yanking out her headphones in irritation.

         “Are you ok? You seem…I don’t know, agitated.”

         “I’m fine,” she snapped. She looked anything but fine to Brian. She repeatedly checked the time every hour or so, popping her gum loudly in disapproval. It was after they had left Heathrow and were on their way to Cork International when she checked the time and instead of popping her gum, Kasey sighed loudly. She seemed to have reached a decision and her face became absolutely expressionless.

         “I need to tell you some things before we land. Let me start by saying you should listen carefully and heed my words; this is not a matter to take lightly.” Her speech had become clipped and strangely formal, again something Brian had not heard before. What was happening to his usually happy friend? “When we get to Ireland, some very strange things are going to start happening. I cannot tell you what, or why. That is something you will find out in due time. If I were you I wouldn’t bother unpacking. You’ll be staying with my grandparents and me for about 3 days, but then a woman will come and take you away. That is all I can tell you. Now relax, breathe, and enjoy the flight.” Her smile was bright but there was a measure of guarded caution in her eyes. She waited patiently for Brian to respond.

         “Excuse me? ‘Relax, breathe, and enjoy the flight’? What are you, insane?” Brian’s voice had risen slightly and several of the people around him had turned toward the scene. He lowered it again and paused until everyone had gone back to his or her own business. “You’re joking. It’s just a joke that’s all. Good one Kasey, you really had me going.” Kasey just continued to stare at him, her expression the epitome of seriousness. The laughter died on his lips as Brian took in what she had told him. Her expression softened the tiniest bit but the severity of the situation was still shone in her eyes.

         “Look I know you’re probably confused—”

         “Psshh.” Brian cut her off with a wave of his hand. He was more than confused; he was scared. Kasey had made no sense but the way she had said it left little room for doubt. “Can you tell me who the woman is?”

         “One second please.” She rattled off a quick text message and waited, tapping her finger lightly on the phone. Brian was afraid his friend had completely lost her mind. Or maybe it was he who had lost his mind. Then the phone beeped. “Ah, here we go.” Kasey scanned the lines rapidly then turned back to Brian. “I am allowed to tell you that the woman’s name is Selena. That is all.”

         “Do you know where I am going?”

         “I do not, nor will I probably be told until you have left. Maybe not even then.” Kasey suddenly seemed unsure of herself, frowning slightly as her thoughts went somewhere Brian could not even begin to guess at. Then the moment passed and she was guarded once more. “I know this isn’t what you expected when you agreed to accompany me, but I promise no harm will come to you.” Kasey’s blue-green eyes flashed with determination before she hit the button for the flight attendant.

         “Yes Miss MacKenna, how may I be of service?”

         “Can I get a coke please, and maybe a look at the lunch menu too?” Kasey was all sugary sweet again and the flight attendant looked as confused as Brian felt. She hesitated for a fraction of a second, Kasey waiting patiently for her to gather her thoughts.

         “Of course. Just a moment please.” Her professional side seemed to win out, though her answering smile wavered just a bit.

         The rest of the plane trip passed as quickly as it had seemed endless before. Brian knew he should be asking every question that came racing through his mind, but he stayed in silence, barely managing to give one-word answers to Kasey’s suddenly innocent inquiries. Did he want lunch? No. Did he want something to drink? No. He felt like screaming at her to shut up, she couldn’t just tell him he was leaving with a strange woman to God knows where and then ask if he wanted to watch a movie! Brian wanted to yell at her to stop looking at him like he was a mental patient on the verge of a psychotic break.

         When they landed, they found Kasey’s grandparents waiting. Brian did not miss the look that was exchanged between the three relatives, or the overenthusiastic welcome they gave him. The ride to the cottage was filled with awkward silences between spouts of small talk. Brian wanted to laugh at how mundane they all acted, asking about school, health, and interests. It was a joke. That’s all, just a stupid joke. Kasey was just trying to pull one over on him. That explained why her grandparents were acting totally normal. He almost laughed out loud at how absurdly gullible he had been. Kasey probably thought him an idiot. Brian began to relax and slowly ease himself into the conversation. He’d show Kasey just how dumb her joke had been.

         About 45 minutes into the car ride, the elderly couple stopped the car. They had arrived at a pub in what seemed to Brian like the middle of nowhere. When they reached the door however, he was shocked to find the building filled to capacity. The boisterous crowd consisted mainly of ruddy faced, broad-shouldered, middle-aged men shouting bets and toasting their mugs of ale. At first glance, Brian thought he had stepped through time. A sword hung majestically over the biggest fireplace Brian had ever seen, gleaming in the glow of the polished wood. Heavy wooden chairs that appeared hand-made were scattered around large oak tables. Even the mugs were wooden, intricately carved with designs of all kinds. Then Brian noticed the plasma screen televisions and surround sound speakers. It seemed even a pub in rural Ireland could be touched by the hand of the modern world.

         “We tried for as long as we could to keep the integrity of the place but what the people want, the people get.” The speaker was a woman Brian guessed to be in her late 40’s. Her black hair was peppered with strands if gray and she had swept it up into a messy twist at the nape of her neck. She led them to a table in the back of the pub, a dimly lit corner booth with no traces of the contemporary touch Brian had seen earlier.

         “What is this place?” He asked when everyone had sat down.

         “It’s called the Crooked Fox. Clare and I have been coming here for decades. It’s tradition lad, to come here whenever we pick up Kasey. Did you know that it’s placed exactly between our cottage and the airport?”

         “Really? That’s cool! Why is it called the Crooked Fox?” Kasey and her grandparents exchanged a loaded glance before erupting in a fit of laughter. A few minutes later, out of breath and wiping tears from his eyes, Kasey’s grandfather began his tale.

         “Well lad, when the original owner first built this place, it was a time in which fox hunting was very popular. Nowadays people are very much against it, and so am I, but that’s not my point. So anyways, it was opening day and the owner hadn’t decided what to call the place. He decided to go hunting and clear his head. He came across the fox almost immediately and took aim, but when he did, the animal turned and looked him in the eye. He swears it told him to go ahead, that it would die someday anyway, why not make it today? Then it lay down in front of him. Well of course the man couldn’t shoot it, even if it wanted him to. The man told the fox that things may happen to make life not worth living, but the next day might change all that. He could meet a nice vixen and settle down, or catch the biggest fish he had ever seen. Things always get better. Well, the man went back to his pub, still nameless, but with a better conscience.

As he went to open the door for his very first customer, the fox came trotting around the corner and sat by the door. People came from all around to be greeted by the ‘tamed fox’ but when asked about it, the pub owner would always say he isn’t tamed, only returning a favor. Do you know why the people thought he was domesticated?” Brian shook his head no. “Not one chicken ever went missing from that pub, nor was anyone ever bitten. Therefore the pub owner decided to call his pub the Crooked Fox. Imagine a wild fox who acted like a dog!” Another round of hearty laughter followed the conclusion of the man’s tale, and this time Brian joined in.

After one of the best meals he had ever had, Brian and the others gathered their coats and headed for the door. Kasey’s grandfather, whose name Brian had found out to be Liam, paused at the bar, waving over the woman from before.

“Now Deirdre, are you going to let me pay this time?” His eyes twinkled as if he already knew the answer.

“Absolutely not Liam, you old coot! And if you ask me again I’ll throw something at you!” Everyone at the bar chuckled, as if this scene happened everyday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Exactly 45 minutes later, Brian got his first look at the famous cottage, though cottage wasn’t the word he’d use. Most of the outside was blue-gray stonework and the trim was Colonial Blue as well. The whole structure overlooked a giant lake; the amazing views unobstructed by the boats that docked further downstream. The interior housed four bedrooms, a magnificent library, a sun room, and an office, as well as an updated kitchen, dining room, and living room. Brian found a framed photo of Kasey as a seven-year old on his dresser. He grinned at the braids and toothy smile of his friend.

         “Anyone else sees that and I’m holding you personally responsible!” The contrast between the little girl and the young woman standing in his doorway was great, but Brian could still glimpse the sparkling youth hidden in the width of her smile and the dimples of her cheeks. Kasey entered the room that Brian had been given, sat on the edge of the bed, and looked at him cautiously. She gave him the same look she had when they were on the plane.

         “Could you please quit staring at me like that?” He turned his back on her, gazing out the picture window that looked out over the lake.

         “How are you feeling?” Her tone was anxious, almost pleading, but when he returned his gaze to her she refused to meet his eyes.

         “I’m fine. I’ve decided to ignore your little joke on the plane and enjoy the rest of my vacation.” Brian grabbed his newly acquired luggage from the hall and placed it on the bed next to a dumbfounded Kasey. Unzipping the first of the bags, he began pulling out his clothes.

         “A joke?” She spluttered, now looking at her friend like he was truly insane. “You still think this is a joke? Brian stop!” Exasperated and slightly annoyed, Kasey grabbed the shirt Brian had been taking from his luggage and threw it across the room. “I was not kidding before and I’m not now. You’re only staying here for three days. After that you’re gone. So I suggest you grow a pair and learn to deal with life.” She stormed out of the room, slamming the door shut as she went.

         Brian had still not come out of his room when Kasey and her grandparents sat down for dinner.

         “Kasey, love, what exactly did you say to him?” Clare Murray was 76 years young and still kicking. When she was a young woman, she had won the hearts of many with her scarlet locks and curvy figure; she was an Irish Rose by name and temperament. She loved her granddaughter but sometimes thought she went about things with less than careful footing.

         “I told him exactly what you said to tell him! I told him he was staying with us for three days and then a woman named Selena would take him away. And you know what? He thought I was joking! Like I would joke about something like this. It’s like he has no idea what this is doing to me!” Kasey felt close to tears.

         “Well does he?”

         “Does he what?”

         “Does he know how you’re involved with all this?”

         Kasey gave her beloved grandmother a blank look. When she finally responded, her tone was flat. “I didn’t know I was allowed to.”

         “Well I suppose it would be ok. What do you think Liam?” Kasey’s grandfather had remained silent through the exchange, not trusting himself to chime in when emotions were involved.

         “I think Kasey needs to do what she thinks is right.” He shifted slightly in his seat before continuing. “This is one decision we cannot make for you, love, and you’re going to find yourself alone much more frequently in the future.” Liam Murray gave his granddaughter a last, sad look before returning to his dinner.

         “That’s it? That’s all you’re going to say?” Kasey’s eyes shone with unshed tears as she pushed away from the table and made her way to her room, exuding a calm she didn’t feel. Would she tell Brian the one secret she herself had not yet fully accepted? Or would she keep him in the dark with an uncertain future, and an even more uncertain fate?

© Copyright 2008 Katie Gamboa (klg713 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1491676-Prophecy-Book-1-Ch-2