*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493172-Now-look-what-youve-done
by EAB
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1493172
A women looks for her chance to say what she needs to say.
“Run!”

“Where?”

“Just run!”

They ran.



“What a peaceful spot, let's set up camp.”  She was tired and needed a break, plus she couldn’t talk to him as they walked.  His concern was the hike not her.

“We can get water from the lake, I bet we can hook into a few bass for dinner.”  His excitement was obvious.

“Sure, sounds great, but we… only have one pole.”  Disappointment filled her voice but he didn’t hear.

“I’ll fish you set up camp, you know get things organized.  You can work the tent can’t you?”

They dropped their packs.

“I’m going to scout a good spot to take care of some business.”  The twinkle in his eye was something she hadn’t seen in awhile.  She watched as he walked into the forest.

Loneliness filled her instantly.  She sat down as the tears filled her eyes.  This was her chance, maybe her last chance.

“What’s wrong?”  He was back and she was startled.

“Nothing, nothing, I think I’m allergic to something out here."  Trying to avert attention away from her wet eyes.

“I found a spot, plenty of leaves if you know what I mean.”

She knew, and the thought was not pleasant.

“I’m gonna go catch us some dinner, are you sure you can take care of the campsite?”

Her nod was all he needed.

She knew what to do that wasn’t the point.  They had been camping many times over the years.  It had been different back then, special, spending that time together, now it was just a chore.  A necessary chore in her eyes, and one she hoped that would open up the opportunity she needed.  She opened the tent and began the work of preparing for a night in the wild.  Time went by as she was lost in her thoughts.

The mist started just after she had finished with the tent.  The fire she built was strong and would make it through a little drizzle.  She curled up in the sleeping bag and collected her thoughts.  Her words would need to be strong if this was going to work.  She had practiced the lines over many times.

She sensed it before she heard it and had already started to move.

“Run!”

“Where?”

“Just run!”

She was leading, her legs had always carried her well, plus he had collected a few too many beers around his stomach.

“Over there!”  He pointed but she didn’t see.

“STOP!”

She froze.

“Over there, behind that cover.”

“What is it?”  They were crouched at the ready.  He was slow to answer trying to catch his breath.

“I…I don’t know.”  Just keep it down.

The quiet entertained thought and she could not stop her mind from racing around intentions mixed with terror.  It had been so long since she had said it, those words that mean so much to so many, but did it matter at this point?

“There it is, look over there.”  His breath had returned but his voice was whisper tight.

A gasp escaped her lips as she cupped her hand over her mouth.

Mist mixed with sweat trickled down her face.  This was it.  Her time.  Maybe her last chance.

“I love you.”  The words trembled out without remorse.

The creature turned its head in their direction.  Saliva dripped from it fangs, its eyes pierced the distance between them.

“Now look what you’ve done!” 

It was officially over.

















© Copyright 2008 EAB (eaanb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493172-Now-look-what-youve-done