*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494371-Talia-and-Fynn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by megan
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1494371
a love story of epic preportions with a twist of opinon chapter 1
Talia

Its funny how such a diverse group of personalities can join together, how they can all find one thing in common that can bond them. For the group that sat around me, I knew what the glue was; I knew what brought everyone to this spot today.

The restaurant was bustling with the hustle of people trying to escape the cold of the Chicago winter. We had occupied the table for the last half hour, catching up on each other’s lives over the past six months. It still amazed me how it was only six months ago that we had all been in college, filling our minds with the information we’d need to build our future. But then, too quickly, we had graduated and were thrown into the real world.

I looked around the table at all my friends and was surprised at how different everyone seemed since the last time that I saw them, but also how they remained unchanged. Every one of them still had the youthful glow of any woman in her young twenties, but there was also more knowledge in their eyes. They knew what it was like to have to earn things to support themselves, something that was only partially present in college.

I looked at my oldest friend Kayla, sitting to my right and smiled. Almost fifteen years of friendship bonded us together, a silver thread that never broke. She was talking to my other longtime friend Alazne and I listened to their conversation for a moment.

“That’s a big deal though isn’t it?” Alazne asked, goading Kayla to stop being modest.

“I guess so,” Kayla started, not taking the bait. “But there is also three other artists there so it’s not like it’s only my work.”
Alazne let out a sigh and rolled her eyes, “But they’re all in their thirties and aren’t fresh out of college! You should be bragging all over the place!”

“I guess so. But I don’t want to annoy people.”

“Okay then, from now on I’ll brag for you. I’ll even write a column about you in the Tribune.” Alazne said, eyes gleaming with
giving out modest friend the credit she deserved for her talent. She saw me listening and winked at me and I could already see the editor in her working out the story.

I laughed and announced loudly so that people at other table could hear that, “My friend here is going to be in a show tomorrow night at the Art Institute!” Alazne and I laughed as Kayla turned beat red and sank into her chair.

“You never change do you?” She asked sinking further and further into her chair.

“Nope, and neither do you,” I answered and pulled her up.

Alazne and Kayla continued their conversation while I looked to my left and saw that Keera was trying to convince Circe that her new book was better than Twilight.

“OK! My book is so much better!” Keera said, with an exaggerated so. “The romantic aspect is much more realistic! Marcus and Annabelle are the perfect characters!”

“But Twilight is epic! Who doesn’t want a perfect lover like Edward?” Circe argued.

“Hmmm,” Keera pretended to think, “Possibly anyone who doesn’t want to deal with a moody and protective vampire?”

“That’s part of his charm!” Circe argued. She turned to me, “Talia, what do you think, Edward or Marcus?”

“I would prefer to stay out of this argument,” I said diplomatically. “Stop looking at me that way,” I say in response to the daggers coming from the 4 dark brown eyes of my friends and offer, “I like them both?”

“Fine,” Keera says. “Hey Hakima, who do you like better, my Marcus or Edward?”

Hakima and I both exchanged “here we go again” looks and she answered similarly with a, “both.”

Everyone that had listened to the exchange giggled because this is something that Circe and Keera had done since high school; argue over what book characters were better.

Hakima, now a poet with published works in various literary magazines and books quoted her most recent poem saying in a wise voice, “Those who are anal will receive nothing from life except a sore booty; foshogunate.” Melina and I broke out into hysterical laughter while the others at the table smiled along, not fully comprehending the old high school joke.

“I can’t believe that joke is still alive” said Melina through her laughter. “That was eighty-seven years ago.” The use of our number just made us laugh harder until we were gasping for air and reaching for water.

“Oh, that was good. Too bad the others all had work and couldn’t come. Speaking of work, how’s Mellow Yellow going Mel? ” I asked Melina.

“It’s going good. I think I started a trend.” She answered.

“Yeah,” Hakima interjected. “Now there are a bunch of different stores that only sell things of one color. But that’s our Melly for ya! Starting a trend and not even knowing it!” Hakima smiled and playfully punched Melina’s shoulder.

Melina squeaked and tried to ignore Hakima and looked across to table to Clarice, “How’s your research?” she asked.

Clarice smiled, leaned in closer to the center of the table, which cause all of us to imitate her motion so that we could hear what she was about to say. She looked over her shoulders and then said, in a loud whisper, “I did it.”

Everyone let out a loud gasp and jerked back in their seats. Coleen was the first to speak, “Oh my God. That’s amazing!”
The table broke out into jubilant congratulations full of pride and awe, and I smiled at Clarice. Ever since she lost her aunt to a long struggle to cancer, she had vowed to cure it one day; and now she had. Not only was this feat a giant step for the scientific and medical community, but I could tell that it had visibly improved Clarice. She looked genuinely happy and proud, which is everything she ever deserved. I stood up from my chair and ran over to her, throwing my arms around
her, “I’m so proud of you!” I practically screamed in her ear.

“Thanks, but I would like to be able to hear the other praise I get,” she said playfully holding her ears.

The whole table started in a happy chatter and I sat in thankful silence listening to my friends chat together. Everything in my life seemed to be perfect, and I felt blessed.

I sat back and took everything in for a moment. The restaurant was still busy but the smells of Chicago style pizza kept everyone content. My friends smiled and laughed and I could feel the love all around the table cover me like a blanket on a cold night. All of us had been through so many things, together and apart, that had made us the people we were today. The waiter, a handsome man with dark eyelashes framing bright blue eyes walked up to the table to take our order. Immediately my friends started talking with Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome. Once he left to fill our order, I asked the question, “So how’s everyone’s love life going?”

My question was met with various degrees of groans and smiles while we waited for someone to start talking.

“I guess I’ll go first then,” said Keera.

“We’re going to be here for a while,” Clarice said in an exaggerated whisper to Jade.

“Ha. Ha. Ha,” said Keera as the rest of us giggled and Clarice smiled sweetly at her. “Anyways, you all remember that guy Calvin from NYU?” We nodded in reply, “Well we broke up about three weeks before graduation and then I went on a few dates with some cherubs, but then Calvin called me last month and wanted to see me.” Everyone exchanged knowing glances with each other which caused Keera to quickly add, “No! Surprisingly it wasn’t about that. He wanted to see me so I went and we went to a new jazz club on 153rd street, you really should go, and now I guess we’re back together.” Keera finished with a smile.

“Yeah. Let me know if you guys split up again, because I’d be willing to help him get over you,” Hakima added, getting a wave of laughter from the rest of us.

“Well how’s your man situation then?” I asked her.

“Oh lord, let’s not get into that dry spell,” She said with a wave of her hand, one of the most dominant Italian traits about her. “The last date I went on was that blind date that you and Fynn set up for me. Thanks for that by the way,” She added with a sarcastic look in my direction.

I held my hands up, “sorry! I didn’t know that he was such an awkward person around strangers! He was sloshed the first time I met him.”

“It’s no big deal. But yeah, that’s my life.”

“I hear you sister!” exclaimed Mel.

“Mel, what the hell are you talking about?” Kayla asked. “You and Alex have been together for over a year!”

“I know, but we never go out anymore,” Mel replied with a frown.

“Oh shut up. At least you have someone,” Alazne and I looked at Kayla with questioning eyes. “Oh, I mean I do to, but not everyone does! Like Alazne,” She said with a stuck out tongue to Alazne.

“Ouch. That one hurt,” Alazne teased back with Kayla, causing me to smile. “But for your information missy, I have gone on a few dates with this one guy recently that could end up being quite promising.”

“Is he real this time? Or is it another Chad?” I asked playfully.

“That was one time! One time, I made someone up to get you guys off my back!” Alazne yelled, causing laughter to once again circulate the table.

“Okay, okay,” I said. “I’m glad someone finally got to experience the loveliness that is Alazne.”

“Shove it,” she replied.

Everyone went around and continued to tell the stories of their love lives, and I saw Circe casually hand the waiter her number. I smiled to myself as the waiter smiled sexily and pocketed the slip of paper. My friends continued laughing and talking while they ate their food, and I joined in, losing myself in the comfortable energy that I always felt around all these women. When we were all full of food and sipping various hot drinks someone finally remembered why we were gathered her in such a full group.

“Whoa!” Jade cried, practically jumping up from her chair. “Talia, there was something you wanted to tell us all!”

“Wow, finally someone remembered,” I said teasingly.

The comment was met with expectant stares from all of my friends. I happily decided to continue sipping my green tea latte while my friends started to get impatient.

“Come on,” urged Jade, “What’s up?”

“Well, Fynn is no longer my boyfriend,” I said slowly.

Everyone at the table exclaimed at once, “What?”

I smiled and craftily slipped the engagement ring onto my finger under the table. I pulled out my hand showing off the ring at the same time that I said, “He’s my fiancĂ©.”

“Finally!” exclaimed Coleen with a laugh as everyone at the table started in with shouts of joy and congratulations. As all of my friends came over to my chair I barely heard Coleen yell, “Someone get us some champagne, this woman is engaged!”
© Copyright 2008 megan (mmosis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494371-Talia-and-Fynn