*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1495122-A-LITTLE-PATCH
Rated: E · Article · Entertainment · #1495122
Sometimes a little patch can make the hurt go away.
Several years ago, I watched one of the best movies I have ever seen..

The title of the movie was, "Patch Adams," and it was allegedly based on a true story. I know this particular movie has been around a while, but I am not an avid movie buff – I’d rather write in my spare time. My lackluster concept of great entertainment, other than reading and writing, is the Discovery Channel, HGTV, or the History Channel, with National Geographic as the pièce de résistance.

I would however, highly recommend this particular movie if you have no seen it.  It is about a person whose entire commitment in life is to graduate from medical school in order to help people.  Not to become a doctor on a pedestal and make millions of dollars, but to obtain the license, the necessary credentials to legally treat people.

The main star of the movie is none other than the late Robin Williams, who played many outstanding roles and was perhaps one of the premiere actors of our time.

Patch Adams practices the medical profession with quite an unorthodox approach.  His medical diagnosis is based on two simple factors, concern and humor.  Concern for the patient as a human being and robust humor to take away the underlying agony of concern all patients’ experience.

In order to accomplish his objective, he talks to patients by name, not patient number, displays genuine empathy, and concocts outrageously funny stunts to bring out their smiles and ease their hidden fears.
On a five star scale, I would give the movie six stars.

You've probably guessed that since I am not a movie critic I have an ulterior motive for providing you with this cinematic premiere.

Wouldn't it be great if the politicians and all those bureaucrats who run our government would act more like Patch Adams?

How many times have you walked into a government office and been told to, "Take a number, take a seat," then after an interminable wait, you hear the bored and angry voice of the administrator say, "Number 278 next!"

You are treated like a case file, a convict, instead of a person.

Or, you visit your Representative or Senator's office and you're told, "The Senator is having her three martini lunch, take a number and she'll get to you, maybe"

We all know, of course, that these people theoretically work for us.  After all, we do pay their salaries do we not?

Wouldn't it be better if the receptionist said, "Welcome Oldwarrior, things are moving rather slow today, would you mind waiting, it may be an hour or so."  Or, "Senator Bullfrog is in a very important luncheon meeting, she should be finished in about an hour. Would you care to wait, I will make certain she knows you are anxious to see her."

The same thing goes for Doctors' and Attorneys' waiting rooms.  They bring you in, tell you to sit down and you never know if you'll see the person you need to see in ten minutes or five hours.  By the time they get to you, you have spider webs anchoring you to your seat.

As for the courtroom, forget it!  They tell you to be there at nine o'clock sharp, but what they don't tell you is they also told nine hundred other people to be there at nine o'clock sharp.

I'm not implying that these professionals should walk out like one of the Marx Brothers and slip you one-liners, but a little consideration goes a long way.  Personally, I think if my doctor walked out dressed like a clown, I would certainly ask for a second opinion, and if it was my attorney, I'd kiss my case good-bye.

Now, if my representative or senator walked into my office dressed like a clown, I'd probably say…
"If the shoe fits....."


© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1495122-A-LITTLE-PATCH