*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496295-THE-DUMBEST-ANIMAL
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1496295
What is the dumbest animal in the world?
HOW OFTEN  have you heard such expressions as; stubborn as a mule, filthy as a pig, scared as a chicken, dumb as an ox, mean as a badger, drunk as a skunk, and a plethora of other quips about animals?

HAVE YOU ever stopped to think how the specific animal might honestly relate to those old sayings... if they had the gift of rational thought?

FOR INSTANCE, the chicken is an exceptionally tasty bird and very high on the list of most predators as a number one meal, including our list.

IT'S ALSO a relatively defenseless critter and not exactly a genius in the smarts department. When the good Lord passed out brains, the chicken thought he said rain, and ran in the other direction.

IN REFLECTION, one might say the chicken has certainly learned and earned the right to be called, "A real chicken."

NOW, when we say, "filthy as a pig," here's another specimen that has earned that particular label and then some.

NATURALLY, the pig... who happens to be carrying around a lot of extra weight and a few hitchhikers to boot... might respond that all that wonderful mud helps him to stay cool during the hot summer heat and it suffocates his uninvited hitchikers.

IN FACT, the pig might take a condescending look at our unnecessary clothing on a hot day and think we're the stupid ones.

WHEN WE start degrading the stubborn mule we may just be insulting his true intelligence. I had an old farmer tell me once that people who think the mule is a dumb animal couldn't be more wrong.

"WHY, them mules got more smarts than any hoss or hound or human ever done thought of having," the old timer said.

"YOU ever seen a hoss sit on his tail in order to get out of goin' somewhere?

"YOU ever seen a coon dog find water as fast as a mule can?"

PERHAPS stubborn isn't the word we should be using when we think of the... smart mule!

AS FOR the saying, "drunk as a skunk," I don't think I've ever seen a drunk skunk, have you?

WHEN I honestly think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a drunken animal of any kind, unless of course some ornery kids have made them that way.

I HAD a friend when I was a young teenager - a real mean teen - who put some white lightening in a pan of chicken water.

AFTER A few thirsty gulps, those poor chickens were trying to fly sideways, stepping all over their own feet, and probably thinking they had six legs. Wasn't funny to me! I think it was a cruel thing to do to innocent animals.

IF YOU  think of it, none of the so-called "dumb" animals listed above would intentionally drink alcohol or take drugs. They're just plain too smart.

HUMANS... to my knowledge, are the only animals dumb enough to drink themselves to oblivion or drug themselves to high heaven.

DOESN'T SAY very much about our level of intelligence... does it?

PERHAPS WE need to take a somewhat closer look at where we humans stand in the overall scheme of things.

JUST HOW fast did we run when God passed out the brains?

MANY of us stubbornly adhere to the worn out saying that, "things taken in moderation are not harmful to us."

I RECKON it depends on what the definition of "things" is and what our definition of "moderation" is.

I THINK we could learn a valuable lesson from the so called, "dumb" animals, because they're actually not that dumb in some respects.

AFTER ALL... they've learned to, "Just Say No" without our help!
© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496295-THE-DUMBEST-ANIMAL