*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496305-Dome
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1496305
Welcome to the Dome. No mutants have ever escaped this government-run facility. Until now.
If most people were to look into the inside of the Dome, they’d see tall, leafy green trees, fresh clear water, and a colorful landscape. Basically, what they would call paradise.

I was not most people. Those trees were probably hiding cameras, the water poisoned with tracing chemicals, and those mountains in the background were a trick of the eye. A living nightmare if you’re like me.

The heavily armored black truck pulled past the security checkpoints and  screeched into a sudden stop once inside. And for those of you who haven't been trapped in a cage in a truck while it goes from God-knows-how-fast to zero in a matter of seconds, it isn't pleasant. Unfortunately, my cage was at the top of the stack, so it slid downfirst and I hit the ground hard. I was dumb enough to have my right hand protruding between the bars at the time, so it was crushed as the rest of my weight fell on it.
Sucks to be me, since I'm right-handed.
I tried to stop myself from screaming by biting a bar as hard as I could (and nearly breaking my teeth in the process).

Some of the other experiments- I know I shouldn't call them that since they were once humans, but some of them are much more animalistic- shrieked and yelled. I attempted to cover my sensitive ears with my one free hand.
No such luck, I could still hear them.

As if that wasn't enough, the uniformed man and his buddies opened the back of the truck. Now my eyes were being assulted by the bright (if artificial) light from the Dome.

The men themselves were huge, and I caught myself wondering if the scientists had used them as test subjects. The man closest, and possibly the largest, picked up my cage with one hand and held it out in front of him. I quickly pulled my crippled hand in and cradled it to prevent further harm to it.

The man sneered at me. "I think we should kill this one. It's been causing us a lot of trouble. Maybe we should put if out of our misery." He laughed, a deep, menacing laugh, along with his buddies.

Normally, death threats don't bother me, but this man had threatened me and called me "it". So, I did the only thing I could do.

Still laughing, the man- I think his badge read "Von Rick", but I wasn't a terribly good reader- turned his head to face the others. Seizing the oppurtunity, I quickly leaned in and bit down on his finger as hard as I could.

Von Rick, apparently not expecting the attack, gave a slight gasp and dropped my cage. I curled into a ball as I impacted the ground. He cursed, and kicked the bars so that I tumbled another few times. I was really dizzy at this point in time, and I failed to see that Von Rick's foot had bent the bars in such a way that I probably could have slipped out if I had another few minutes.
I also failed to see that one of Von's friends- Clint, I think his name was- had a gun. He lifted it up, to aim, and fired at me.

I was well aware of what happened. Clint fired a tranquilizer, which met its mark- my neck. The effect was instantanious, and I collapsed.



Well, if you've stuck with me this far, then congratulations- I suppose I should fill you in a little on what's happening here.
In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm back inside a little death-hole called the Dome. It's got thick vegetation, artificial day and night, artificial weather, artificial climate, and I'd go so far as to say as the water's probably artificial. I wouldn't put it past the scientists to poison us.

Which brings me to the reason I'm in here. Scientists created the ultimate human. A superhuman, if you will. I think we were made for war or something.
Anyway, we got mixed with an animal of some sort, probably in test tubes. Some people died, some people became almost completely animalistic. The ones who lived were tested and re-tested and re-tested some more. Those who didn't die this time around but showed no potential were exicuted immediately. Those who passed with flying colors were shipped off to train.

Then there's us. We got sent here because we had potiential. Every so often, we get dragged back to a lab. Some of us don't come back.
And sometimes, experiments go crazy and canabalistic. The scientists just leave them in here. Apparently, if we can't survive this, there's no way we could survive a war.
Personally, I'd take my chances with the war, but I suppose I have no say in my future.

I'm part bat (not entirely sure what exact species), comeplete with super-sensitive ears, eyes, and leathery wings. I suppose my life could be worse- I could be part fish- but it's hard to imagine at this point.


© Copyright 2008 Artemis (maycen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496305-Dome