*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496531-HAPPY-HOLIDAYS
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1496531
It's not the destination that counts - but the journey.
By Gosh!
My favorite season is about to be ushered in.

And, you may sardonically ask, "Just what season is that?"

In reply, I'll refer to the words of a well-known song - "Tis the season to be jolly."

From Thanksgiving to New Years is - in my very humble opinion - the greatest time of the year.
"Why?" You ask again.

Because it has been statistically proven that more people put on a happy face, are more generous towards each other and more considerate of others during this time of year than at any other time.
It is the time of giving instead of receiving. A time of compassion, of understanding, and a time of genuine reflection.

During this special season each of us likes to reflect back on our lives and take a serious look at the road we have been traveling.

As we look closer, quite suddenly we notice all the little side roads we missed, which represent opportunities lost.  We see the exit ramps we unintentionally got off at, which were side roads that took us in directions we did not really want to go.

We also begin to really notice the other travelers on the road beside ourselves.  That car with the angry fighting couple.  The big van full of spoiled kids.  The speeding car that dangerously cut in front of us, the fat people in the stretch limo, and the brave trucker who stopped to pick up a lonely cold hitch-hiker.

Then unavoidably, we sheepishly remember our own trip and how we suddenly fit into the big picture.
With renewed insight, we firmly resolve not to argue and succumb to fits of temper like that young angry couple.

We glance into the back seat and warmly look at our own well-behaved children with a soft sigh of relief.
We remember with guilt the slow car we also cut in front of.

True happiness does not lie in the wealth displayed by those in the limo, and our hearts are warmed to remember the brave trucker who stopped for that stranded person on the side of the rain drenched road even when we were too scared to stop, or we simply didn't care enough to stop.

Like a brilliant flash of light, we suddenly realize that it never was our final destination that really counted so much, it was our journey.

And, just about the time that New Year’s rolls around, we have made a firm resolution to travel that road with a new perspective. Because of the coming of this special time of year and all the goodness that it represents has renewed our determination to be better, to do better, to think more of others than of ourselves, to extinguish the thirst of bitterness.

However, after the New Year, we unconsciously put the car back on cruise control and go back to traveling that same road, not caring, not considerate, and not conscious of all that we have resolved to do.  The heat of goodness and love that warmed our hearts during this special season suddenly dims to a flickering dying ember.

Then, we return to less than we can be!

Throughout the year we stand knee deep in the river of life, yet we are dying of thirst.

This year, please remember the reason for the season and fill your empty containers with goodness, love, and caring, and carry it with you on your journey throughout the year.

And, when you feel bogged down in that traffic-jam of life, take a healthy swig of that container to renew that warm, compassionate and caring spirit.

© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496531-HAPPY-HOLIDAYS