*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497951-Laura
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Satire · #1497951
A nervous patient agrees to a procedure intended to enhance her appeal.
    Word count: 432


                                           
LAURA
                                                   

Laura had almost given up on becoming a success. Lying exposed on the examination table, she asked, “Will this be terribly painful?”
        “No, it won't.”
        “So, after this is done, they won't stick out so much?"
        “We're talking about a significant reduction.”
        “Couldn’t I go on the way I am, without having this done?”
        “You could, but I thought you wanted to turn over a new page.”
        “I haven’t agreed to anything, yet. What if I refuse?”
        “Why would you want to, Laura?”
        “Do you think anyone will ever look at me seriously?”
        “Questions like that are the very reason you need to have this done. I'm certain this will improve your chances. Do you remember how they reacted to you before?”
        “I felt so embarrassed," she admitted. "How many times have you performed this procedure?”
        “Many times.”
        “How long will this take?”
        “I can’t be sure. Each case is a different story.”
        “So, it’s fairly common?”
        “At this stage, after the harsh criticism you've endured, it isn't unusual at all.”
        Feeling the need to defend herself, the patient declared, “I’m not unhappy with the way I am. What if this doesn’t make a difference?”
        “There are no guarantees, but up to now your life has been a steady stream of rejection and disappointment. Your guardian, Mr. Ellington, cares about you, but —”
        “Sid loves me!”
        "Okay, okay, but unless we do this, you’ll live your entire life in obscurity. Mr. Ellington knows you like a book. He knows that isn't what you want, and it isn't what he wants for you. Now, if you’ll just relax, we can get started.”
        As white as a sheet, squinting up into the bright light above the table, the patient struggled to control her emotions. Looking down at her, his brow furrowed in concentration, a man she just met held in his right hand the instrument that could change her future.
        Six months later, her guardian received this letter:


Dear Mr. Ellington,

Thanks for resubmitting your manuscript. I recall reading this story when you first submitted it, years ago. While intrigued by the subject matter, we rejected the story due to a glaring over-employment of adverbs. Not to be unkind, but they really stuck out back then. Noting significant improvement in that and other areas, we would now be delighted to publish your novel, Laura.

My most sincere congratulations,

Timothy Lynch, CEO: Pierson - Thompson Publishing
       

        "Yes!" Sid shouted. “I always knew Laura would sell." Heading for the refrigerator to pop open a bottle of champagne, he said, "I should have hired an editor to help me rewrite that story a long time ago, but it just felt so strange and scary letting someone else touch it."
        Holding the chilled bottle in one hand, he paused for a moment before opening the drawer that held the corkscrew. Alone in his kitchen, a thought struck him.This story had so much personality it almost seemed alive. Hmmmm, what if stories had feelings? And if they did, what would they think about the editing process?       
 
             
                 

The End.


Care to find out more about Timothy Lynch, the CEO of Pierson - Thompson Publishing?
Use this link:
 Hounds of Hell - Chapter 1   (18+)
Publishing Mogul, Timothy Lynch receives a gift, an ancient book.
#1715111 by George R. Lasher


Hey, be sure to check out my novel, recently published by World Castle Publishing, The Falcon and His Desert Rose. This 280 page, romantic, international thriller is available online in two formats: eBook (for $5.99) or paperback (for $12.99) from World Castle Publishing, or Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-His-Desert-Rose-ebook/dp/B005UD7R1C/ref=tmm_kin_tit...

Kindest regards,
a logo that I find pleasing 
© Copyright 2008 George R. Lasher (georgelasher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497951-Laura