*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499477-A-story-in-progress
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Teen · #1499477
When Maddie meets Jason, she knows her life will never be the same.
I never knew destiny would come in my fifth period English class. Usually, I spent the entire hour and a half reading Edgar Allen Poe stories, trying to drown out my fresh-out-of-college teacher’s ramblings about the secret meanings behind The Scarlet Letter. Frankly enough, the book is not hard to figure out. Hester is a skank, Dimmesdale is the father, and Chillgworth is just insane. It is not necessary for there to be this big forensic investigation over what Hawthorne meant over it.
One day, after an incredibly long explination over the symbolism of the letter A, my teacher stopped, ran her French-manicured fingers through her highlighted-blonde hair, and looked at us.
“Class, tomorrow we’re expecting a new student in class. His name is Jason Camden. He’s coming here from New York. I’m sure you will make him feel very welcome.”
A series of oohs and ahs came from the class, which happens every time someone mentions New York around this school. All anyone here ever wants is to make it big in Hollywood and live like a plastic overpaid starlet like Reese Witherspoon.
Me, I want to be a writer. My deepest desire is to be a well-known author, like Stephanie Meyer or J.K. Rowling. People would be obsessed with the characters in my book, like some people are obsessed with Edward Cullen. I would have exclusive rights to bring my manuscript on the plane without checking it in. I want to be like Nathaniel Hawthorne, who hundreds of years after he died, is still being talked about in boring AP English classes like my own.
The lunch bell rang. I picked up my Poe book and shoved it into my Army surplus messenger bag. It was time to eat, and I was hungry.
You ever notice how school cafeterias always try to make it seem like you’re eating something cool? They try to make it seem exotic by giving it fancy-sounding names like chimnichangas or salsbury steak, but really it’s just cheap processed slop that the school board pays for because of that free lunch law. That’s why I bring my own food from home. If I’m going to eat junk, might as well just bring it myself.
I found my friend, Piper, sitting by herself in a corner, trying to pick at her salad. When Sam Nottoway, her so called “soulamte” called her fat the other day, she has turned to anorexia to please him. It’s really sad, because Piper is really pretty. She has this naturally curvy body, long dirty blonde hair, and green eyes.
I could never imagine being in a relationship with a guy like she is with Sam. He gave her a promise ring. It was totally one of those ten dollar fake ones from Wal-Mart, but Piper almost died when he put it on her finger at Prom last year. She wears it on a chain now, due to the fact that we can’t wear rings to school. This girl named Leah Potts had to get her finger cut off after a freak volleyball accident in gym class with her chastity ring. Her mother sued the school, and to avoid further legal trouble there is a new rule that states we can’t wear rings anymore.
“Hey Maddie” Piper said, putting her fork down. “What’s up?”
“Not much. How’s the diet going?”
“Not good. Sam still said I looked fat today. I don’t know what to do, Maddie”
“I don’t think your fat, and I’m not just saying that. You’re gorgeous, Piper.”
“You really think so?”
“I know so.”
“Thanks. Maddie, I think we need to get you a man.”

I laughed. You wouldn’t believe the times she’s said that. I think sometimes Piper might think I’m jealous of her and Sam, but really I’m not. The very few boyfriends I’ve had were all duds. They just wanted to date to fit in. Those are the sort of boys who don’t dance when you bring them to Sadie Hawkins and the ones who sit quietly during the movie, instead of trying to put their arm around the girl. Single life pleases me for now.
“Maybe someday, Piper. I’m not looking for any Joe-Blow, though.” I took a sip out of my juice box.
“Of course, of course.”
Sam came walking up to the table. He kissed Piper on the lips very quickly to avoid Principal Duntworth’s PDA rule. This was my cue to leave. Sam had an anxious look in his eyes, and I didn’t want to see what he was about to do to Piper.
“So long, people. I have to get to Off-Campus Work Period.” I picked up my messenger bag and pushed my chair under the table.
I really like having Work Period. My mom got me a job at Pennywill’s Books, which is this awesome thrift book shop downtown. Inside, there are rows and rows of classic novels and old paperbacks lined up on antique shelves. Mr. Pennywill is a big fan of The Beatles as well as classical, so that’s what is usually playing. I basically get to miss school for a period, sit down and read a book until some cool artsy person comes in looking for something. After I help them find it, Mr. Pennywill usually offers them a cup of coffee, and we spend the entire time sitting down discussing books. It’s a minimum wage job, including free books. Plus I get out of doing Office-service at school for doing a literary-related job. Afterwards, I just drive on over to Magellan College and take my Poetry class on Mondays, Wedendays, and Fridays. The other days I have “free study”, which is usually spent at the bookstore.
I pulled up to the shop, and parked my car in my usual spot. I walked into the building through the back door like some sort of important person.
“Hey Mr. P.” I shouted to let him know I was here. Putting my coat on the hat rack, I walked to my usual chair in front of the store. My copy of The Bell Jar was still where I put it last time. Mr. Pennywill gave me that book. He said it belonged to this insane woman named Noelle Chamberlin in the 1960’s who supposedly killed herself while reading it. If you turn to the last chapter, you can see dried blood marks on the yellow pages. The story freaks people out, so nobody has bought it in about thirty years. I flipped to the part where Ester enters the asylum, when a customer came into the store.
“MADDIE! CAN YOU GET THAT? I’M BUSY.” Mr. P called from the stockroom.
The customer was a young guy who looked about my age. He was very cute, wearing jeans and a Van Halen T-shirt. His long bangs fell in his eyes.
“Welcome to Pennywill books, my name is Maddie. Can I help you with anything today?”
“I’m just looking around.” He said, looking at the floor.
“Ok. Well, That bin of books without the covers over there in the corner are a nickel. You might find something over there. If you need something from a top shelf, let me know. My boss doesn’t want people climbing on the ladder.”
“Thanks.” He walked off, running his fingers over the shelves. As I sat there, keeping an eye on the boy, my mind started to think about the new boy coming into English class. I would bet money he’s a dick. Most guys from big cities are. They are just looking for one thing, just to scope out some slutty girl to go to bed with. New York boys aren’t looking for a committed relationship, unless of course you’re in Breakfast at Tiffany’s or something. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see until tomorrow if he’s a loser or not.
The bell on the door rang. The boy took off. “Oh well,” I thought, getting back to The Bell Jar.

The next morning, I woke up completely unaware that my life was going to change forever. Throwing on a pair of jeans and a black turtleneck, I looked at myself in the mirror hanging on my door, drowning in on my plainness. I wasn’t ugly like Sandra Fuller, who looked like a donkey, and I certainly was not pretty like Piper. Everything was just so, average. My eyes were brown like everyone else, my black hair hung straight down my back.
Taking out my green velvet makeup bag, I got my pressed powder and liquid eyeliner. Putting on makeup is one thing I like to do. I’m no artist, but I can surely make my face look pretty decent with the help of foundation and eyeliner. Putting on makeup and doing it right is something that takes talent. So many girls today look like tramps.
I looked at my watch, and noticed I was late for school. Grabbing my messenger bag and a banana, I ran out the door to my car. I knew, driving like a madwoman to school, that this was going to be an intresting day.

All my morning classes were same-old-same-old. Algebra, Biology, World History, Computer Applications were totally boring and pointless. I don’t understand why they would make a Writing major such as myself, suffer through math and science classes. It’s just not right.
Once the fifth period bell rang, things started to get better. All of the girls started chatting about that new boy who was supposedly coming in today. That sort of sparked my curiosity too. I walked into class, and took my customary seat in the back of the room. Taking out my Edgar Allen Poe book, I tried to loose myself in The Tell Tale Heart until the warning bell rang.
Ms. Janelle began teaching the class like nothing was going on, but everyone was wondering where this new boy was. He hadn’t shown up to class yet, and the anxious girls were getting nervous. They kept asking each other if their hair looked ok, or if there was anything stuck in their teeth.
Suddenly, the door opened and he walked in. Jason was not attractive, at least to the other girl’s standards. They were expecting a Zac Efron, but he was more along the lines of Pete Wentz or Brendon Urie. He wore a pair of dark jeans, a black Beatles t-shirt, Converse, aviator sunglasses, and a pinstripe fedora.
“Is this Ms. Janelle’s class?” he asked, looking at his schedule card.
“Yes. Welcome Jason.” She replied, shaking his hand. “You can have a seat in the back next to Maddie.”
Jason took a seat in his desk. Reaching into his army surplus messenger bag (just like mine), he pulled out a blue three-subject notebook and took off his hat and sunglasses. Jason’s eyes were a really nice shade of light green, which fell in great contrast with his dark curls.
“You know, if you want to look at me that much, you could at least say hello.”
“Mr. Camden, I know it’s your first day, but please be quiet in class.” Ms. Janelle fussed.

He was quiet for the rest of the class, sitting there taking notes and actually listening. As much as I love Edgar Allen Poe, I couldn’t focus on his horror stories today. There was something about Jason Camden that intrigued me.
The lunch bell rang. I quickly picked up my books and headed out to the cafeteria. Noticing Piper and Sam sitting together, I found a table alone. I love Piper, but honestly I don’t like being with her when the boyfriend is around. Sometimes they get a little too touchy-feely with one another, and it gets pretty nasty. I mean, if they do things like that in plain sight, I’d hate to see what they do alone.
Since I was late, I forgot to pack a lunch, so I was forced to partake in the caferteria food. Today they were serving “chicken alfredo” but it resembled a colorless pile of vomit. The salad bar was my best bet.
Piling lettuce, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and Italian dressing on my plate, I noticed Jason from the corner of my eye. He was standing in line to get the hot meal. Poor thing, I should have warned him in English to avoid school food.
I showed my ID to the lunch lady. The food is free at school, but we have to prove we’re actually students. One time a hobo snuck in and tried to pretend he was going to school to get a free lunch. The principal has been paranoid about unregistered visitors since Columbine.
Jason pulled up a chair at my table. “Is it cool if I eat here? The other students have been less than welcoming.” He looked at his lunch with a disgusted look.
“At least the food in New York is better.”
“Yeah. I was going to warn you to stay away from the hot meal in English. Damn school board won’t buy us edible food.” I said, chewing on a carrot stick. “Salads and brown bagging it is your best bet.”
“Thanks…um. What’s your name again? I’ve been introduced to so many people today, I’m getting everyone confused.”
“Madaline Quinn, but you can call me Maddie.”
Jason smiled at me. “Well, Madaline Quinn, I think you’re the first person here who has really been nice to me. Others have been fake-nice, you know, putting on a big goofy smile, offering to help me find my classes, but it’s totally insincere. Nobody wants anything to do with the new boy.”
“A lot of people here are fake. You will get used to it. If you ignore them, they just go away.”
“Hahahaha I bet.” Jason said, taking a sip out of his juice. “Back in New York, I went to this gifted and talented school, and everyone was like you and me. I guess this will take some getting used to. Hey, what’s your next class?”
“I have Work period then I go take a college course after that.”
He looked sadly at his schedule card. “I have AP Spanish then AP Chemistry.”
He must be a smart boy. Only the intelligent get into AP Chemistry and pass it. Piper took the class last year and she ended up in counseling because of the fact that she was going to kill herself. Thankfully, they let her switch to Home Economics.
“Good luck with that.” I said.
The bell rang. All of the students began throwing away their trays and stuffing things into backpacks and purses.
“I’ve got to go. Nice meeting you, Jason.”
“Same here. See you in English tomorrow, Maddie.”
On my drive to Pennywill books, I felt sorry for misjudging Jason. He seems to be a really decent guy, not a jerky city-boy like previously thought. There was something about him, I couldn’t put my finger on it. A certain something about him made me go crazy in a way.
Walking into the shop, I noticed Mr. P was sitting down drinking coffee with a customer. He was a middle aged man, probably in his forties, wearing tan chinos and a green polo.
“Oh, Maddie. I’m glad you’re here. This is Mr. Weaver. He’s a good friend of mine.”
“Hi there. I’m Maddie.” I shook his hand.
“Nice to meet you. Why don’t you have a seat. We were just talking about you.”
“Really? Good things, I hope.”
“Oh! Only the best about my favorite employee. Anyways, Mr. Weaver is in charge of the local literary magazine, Speaker. He’s interested in making you a contributor.” Mr. P took a sip out of his coffee mug.
“Really? That’s great.”
I’ve read Speaker lots of time at The Coffee Pot, the café downtown where I go to hang out sometimes with Piper. She likes the drinks, and I like the availability of reading material.
“What it involves is turning in a short story, essay, or poem once a month. It can be about whatever you want, we just ask that you keep it PG-13. Then, we’ll publish it in the magazine. It’ll give you some good writing experience. Pennywill here tells me how much you want to be an author.”
“I do.”
“Well, I think you will do well with us. Oh, and I forgot to say that our regular contributors get paid a hundred dollars a month for every piece that they turn in.”
I couldn’t believe it. This was what I was waiting for. What if some big-shot literary agent from Penguin read it and liked one of my stories? My dreams might come true faster than I thought.
“Thank you very much, Mr. Weaver. I would be delighted to write for your magazine.”
“Excellent.” He reached inside his briefcase and pulled out a manila folder. “Here is some paperwork. Look it over with your parents, and sign the necessary forms. I’ll be back next week to collect them from you. Deadline is at the end of the month, so you might want to get started writing something.”
“Ok. Thank you!” I said, shaking his hand again.
“I look forward to reading your work, Maddie. Pennywill speaks highly of you.”
Looking at my watch, I realized that I was late for my poetry class. It’s not really a big deal for me, because all we really do the entire time is read out of the textbook. I can easily do that on my own, it’s just the school gets pissed when their dual-enrollment students miss class. They think we’re taking the course just to get away from campus and smoke pot or something when we could be in a cruddy elective at the high school.
“Oh my, I’m late for class. I have to get going. Bye, gentlemen.” Taking my messenger bag and coat, I ran out the door to my car.

I ended up making it to class on time. Professor Nicks was late, so I was early. We were studying Tennyson, who is one of my favorite poets. Despite my intrest in her lecture on Charge of the Light Brigade, my mind couldn’t stray away from Jason and the literary magazine. Jason was like a character in an old movie, one of those secret agents who seduces women with his charm then kills them in the next scene. You never knew what he was going to do next. Jason seemed like that to me. I didn’t know much about him, except for the fact that he was smart and seemed to be pretty friendly. Tomorrow, he could totally surprise me. I could not keep him out of my thoughts.
Now, the literary magazine excited me. I spent most of my time writing stories and poems in my journal, not really doing anything with them. I know I wanted to someday publish them, but for the most part they sat there on my nightstand. This magazine could give me an opportunity to actually do something with my writing.
When I got home, I was exhausted. Throwing my bag and coat on the floor, I noticed there were several voicemails on my phone.
“Maddie? This is Piper.” She sounded hysterical. “Sam broke up with me. I really could use a friend right now. Can you call me or come over please? Thanks.”
She must be on the verge of suicide right now. The one thing about Piper is that she takes things to the extreme. Sam calls her fat, she turns to an eating disorder. He breaks up with her, she kills herself. I had better go and counsel her.
My mom was still not home from work yet. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind me going. Taking the magnetic puppy dog notepad off the fridge, I scribbled a note: “Mom, Piper has an emergency and needs my help. I’ll be home later. Love you.”
Driving to her house, I couldn’t help but think about Jason. I wonder if he has a girlfriend back in New York.
I pulled up in Piper’s driveway. She was sitting on the porch swing, and looked absolutely terrible. Her hair was a mess, and she was unusually pale. Her eyes were bloodshot red and she was trembling.
I ran out of the car and sat down by her side. The firs thing I did was give her a hug. I don’t know what it is, but hugs always make things a little better.
“Maddie. I’m a mess.” She wiped her nose on a crumbled pink tissue.
“Tell me what happened.”
“Ok. Well, at lunch today he came sit with me. He starts out saying we need to talk. Then he tells me I’ve been a great girl to him, but he has found someone else. He says he wants to still be friends and everything, but just not have a romantic relationship”
“Then what did you do?”
“I asked him if he wanted his ring back, and he said I could keep it. I ended up flushing it down the toilet at school. I don’t want to look at that.”
“Yeah I understand.”
“Then, I was in hysterics during gym class. I made up a b.s. story about how I had cramps, so they sent me to the nurse’s office where I slept through eighth period. Then I went home and burned all the stuff that reminded me of him. Then, I went on Facebook and he posted all these pictures of him and his new Barbie-doll girlfriend sticking their tounges in each other’s mouth. That’s when I really got upset.”
“Piper, I’m really sorry.”
“Thanks, Maddie. There’s nothing much we can do now.”
“You want to go inside and do some homework? Maybe get your mind off of him?”
“I think we should.” Piper smiled.

I ended up sleeping at Piper’s house that night, except for an hour when I drove home to get school clothes and pajamas. Thank God my mom was understanding about me being out on a Tuesday night. We were just like best friends, sitting in her room eating popcorn and taking about guys. Little did I know the next day, she was going to betray me.

As I walked into History class, Piper came up running up to me. She was bouncing off the walls.
“Guess what?”
“What?”
“I got a boyfriend.”
“Really? Wow. That’s great.”
“He’s amazing. I’m having lunch with him today. Why don’t you come join us so you can meet him?”
“Sure. What’s his…”
The bell rang, so I wasn’t able to finish my sentence. Piper was late for French, and my history teacher, Mr. Popadakis is funny about people standing in the doorway.

I still couldn’t stop thinking about Jason. I couldn’t wait to go to English so I could see him again. We were watching a Discovery Channel tape about the French Revolution because Mr. Popadakis was probably hung over or something and didn’t feel like teaching. I sat there the entire time and tried to write something for the magazine. Everything that I tried failed. I could think of nothing else but Jason and Piper’s new boyfriend. I wonder who he is?

I smiled at the sound of the bell, knowing it was time for English class. I ran up the stairs so I could get there early. Sitting down, I took out my customary Poe book and pretended to be interested by The Raven.
Finally Jason walked in. He was wearing an American Eagle t-shirt, cargo shorts, and aviators.
“Hey Maddie.” He said. “How’s it going?”
“Great.” I said. “You finding everything ok here?”
“Yeah. I met this girl, she’s really pretty. I’ll have to tell you more about it later. Can I expect you at lunch?”
“Sure.”
“Maddie and Jason, please be quiet!” Ms. Janelle seemed to be getting mad at us. I got back to my Edgar Allen Poe, and I noticed Jason was reading the same thing. He smiled at me.
You know how in Seventeen magazine, they always print articles about how to tell if a guy likes you? They always make up some bogus story about if you’re wearing the color green that he will have feelings for you or something. Well, there’s really not a sure-fire way to tell if a boy likes you. Each guy is different. In that smile Jason flashed me, something told me that he liked me, and badly.
The lunch bell rang. I had to deliever something to the office, so I climbed downstairs and gave my papers to the old secretary named Mrs. Raymond. She’s the type of woman who likes everybody, all the time. She’s a sweetie, though. I like her a lot.
I made my way through the cafeteria, and realized I promised two people I’d eat lunch with them. I guess I’ll just have to split the time in half.
I got a salad, and then scanned the tables for Piper. I soon found her sitting next to the Coke machine. As I walked closer, I noticed who she was sitting with.
Jason.
I couldn’t believe it. How could Piper even have known who he was? I don’t think he’s in any of her classes.
“Hey Maddie! This is my new boyfriend, Jason. Jason this is Maddie, my best friend.”
“We’ve already had the pleasure of meeting. Sit down, Maddie.”
I’ve only known Jason for a few days, but seeing him with Piper just tore my heart into a thousand pieces. I knew Piper wasn’t going to treat him like she should. With her extreme behaviors, who knew what would happen? I didn’t want them to be together.
Tears began rolling from my eyes. I’m not the type of girl to cry in public, but this sort of thing just ripped me to shreds. I dropped my tray on the table and ran out of the room.
“Maddie? What’s the madder? Come back!” Piper tried to be a good friend like I was to her, but nothing could work.
I ran to the only place in school a girl could be alone, the bathroom. Kicking open the first available stall, I sat on the seat and tried to get a grip on myself.
“You don’t love him that way, Maddie. He’s just your friend. Be happy that he has a new girlfriend.” I tried to tell myself this over and over again, but I soon came to realize I was doubting myself. I love Jason Camden. There was no one I’d rather spend my time with than him. Nobody really matted.
But he was with Piper, the psychotic blonde. I knew something was going to happen.
Through my crying, I heard someone coming into the bathroom. Shit. It was Piper.
“Maddie? Maddie darling, Are you in here?” She knocked on the stall doors. I kept quiet, not wanting to speak to her. “Maddie I see your Converse from under the door. I know you’re in here.”
I didn’t say a word. There was nothing to say to her.
“Maddie, come out and talk to me.”
Silence.
“From the way you’re acting, I’m thinking that you like him or something. Is that what it is?”
“Piper, there is nothing to say to you. Go play tonsil hockey with Jason and leave me alone.”
“Come on Maddie…”
“OUT!” I was getting furious. If there wouldn’t have been a stall door between us, I probably would have kicked her. She deserved it.
I didn’t show up to work that day. I wrote a text message to Mr. Pennywill saying that I got sick at school and couldn’t make it. He’s usually pretty understanding about stuff like that. Driving home, I tried to choke back tears. It’s never a good idea to cry your eyes out at the wheel. You should always be able to see where you’re going.
I got home, threw my stuff down, and blasted the most depressing love songs on the planet. I sat there for about an hour, feeling pathetic about myself and thinking off all the possible things Piper was going to do to him.
Then, in the wake of my sadness, I thought about Jason’s side of the picture. He probably didn’t want me to cry over him. I guess being friends was better than nothing. Still, It was difficult to just be his buddy when my best friend had him all to herself. I couldn’t put my feelings aside. To make things worse, Jason was completely unaware of what was going in. He kept talking to me in English like nothing happened. I put on a smile, but honestly it killed me to talk to him.

The next few weeks were difficult. Every day, I saw Piper and Jason in the hall holding hands, sharing a milkshake at lunch, laughing, and kissing each other on the cheek. They seemed happy, but I couldn’t help but long to be in Piper’s place. She always said that she was going to get me a man. But when that man came along, she stole him for herself. Once again she’s in the committed relationship, and I’m all alone: without a boyfriend or a best friend. Everything was miserable.

I tried to focus my energy on writing for the magazine. Mom signed the papers, so I was officially a contributor. Day in and day out, I wrote and wrote, but nothing seemed good enough. I guess my mind was elsewhere. To add to my depression, the homecoming dance was coming up. While Jason and Piper shopped together to find coordinating outfits, I was left home alone, dateless and dressless. The night of the dance, Mom came into my room. “Maddie, you need to get out and have a good time. Here, I brought you a dress and shoes at Sears today. She pulled out a plastic bag, and revealed a gorgeous navy blue strapless dress with silver heels.
“Thanks Mom.” I gave her a hug. Even if I didn’t have the perfect date, I had the perfect dress. Things were starting to look a little better.
I drove myself to the dance, only to be greeted by the sight of Piper and Jason slow dancing to Hey There Delilah.

© Copyright 2008 Strawberry Fields (rosie71350 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499477-A-story-in-progress