*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500327-Ill-be-Home-for-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Holiday · #1500327
A short story based on a line from "I'll be Home for Christmas"
Melanie stood on tiptoe to place the final decoration on the tree. “There!” she said as she stood back to view her handy work. Then, to get the full effect of the tree she’d spent all day decorating, she went to the light switch and turned off the lights in the living room.

This year, she had decided to place the tree in front of the living room window. She wanted to share the beautiful lights with everyone. She absolutely adored the bright Christmas lights. So small and yet able to light up an entire room if one was brave enough to put that many lights on a tree. Melanie was brave enough. She loved the lights more than any of the other decorations on her tree.

While surveying the effect with all the other lights off, she saw a decoration that was in the wrong spot.

“Oh, dear! We’ll just have to move you somewhere else, won’t we?” In saying, she pranced over to the tree to move the offending ornament.

Stepping back again, she placed her hands on her hips. Giving a brief nod, she said, “There! All finished.”

As she continued to survey her tree, enchanted by the lights, she realized that she wasn’t the only one. On the couch crouched a little black blob, only his golden eyes reflecting the shimmer from the lights.

“Midnight, don’t you dare jump on that tree!” Melanie cried as she swooped down on her little black kitten. As she scooped him into her arms, she said, “I don’t want you to get hurt. Leave the tree alone.”

Midnight patiently endured through the hug and brief cuddle. Melanie gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head and placed him back on the couch.

She then dropped onto the couch next to him. “Isn’t it a beautiful tree?” she asked as she absentmindedly stroked his sleek black fur.

Melanie sat on the couch quietly for some time listening to the Christmas music she had put on earlier. Eventually, the work required to place 1500 lights on her six foot Christmas tree, plus decorations, got to her. She reached over and grabbed one of the couch’s throw pillows. Then, careful not to disturb Midnight, she lay down and drifted off to sleep.

Sometime later, she sat up feeling disoriented. She couldn’t figure out why she had woken up. Then she heard the noise again. Someone was at the door! It was really late so she couldn’t figure out who it could be. Maybe one of her neighbors needed some help. One of them was due to have her baby any day after all.

Shaking off the last of her drowsiness, she walked quickly to the front door. Melanie flipped on the porch light and looked through the peep hole. Stepping back from the door, she proceeded to unlock it as quickly as her shaking hands would allow.

As she opened the door, her husband stepped in. Dropping his khaki duffle bag on the floor, he reached up and removed his beret. He smiled down at his beautiful bride, amused at her amazed look.

At that, the spell was broken and Melanie could move and speak again. Throwing herself into his arms, she said, “I thought you said that you couldn’t come home for Christmas. That you hadn’t been there long enough to request time off.”

Robert wrapped his arms around her and replied, “I didn’t think that they’d let me, but I went ahead and asked anyway. When I got the approval, I thought that I’d fly in and surprise you.” Pulling back a little and looking into her happy face, he asked with a smile, “You’re not upset that I didn’t tell you, are you?”

“Oh, no!” she rushed to assure him. “This is the greatest gift of all! I had just fallen asleep on the couch and was dreaming of you. It’s like a dream come true.”

He bent over to kiss her, their first kiss in months. “It’s good to be home,” he began when the kiss was over, “but do you think you could let me the rest of the way into the house?”

Melanie looked around, startled, and then began to laugh. She had trapped him at the screen door and hadn’t let him come any farther. She pulled away and stood to the side. With a sweeping motion of her arm, she invited him in.

Robert walked past her and Melanie shut and locked the front door. Turning, she stood and admired her husband. His back was held ramrod straight, and he wasn’t conscious of the march he’d acquired in his gait. However, she admired her husband standing handsome and proud in his Army uniform. Oh, how she loved a man in a uniform, especially this man!

With an appreciative smile on her face, she walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him again.

“I have missed you so much,” she said quietly as she looked into his green eyes. Then she looked away and placed her cheek against his chest. Breathing in deeply, she took in the smell of him. “Oh!” she said, stepping away and wrinkling her nose.

Robert began to laugh. “Well, what did you expect? I’ve been on airplanes and in airports for the past 2 days trying to get home.”

Melanie laughed with him and pushed him towards the bathroom. “Go! Take a shower!”

He dropped a quick kiss on her lips and started down the hall.

Melanie just stood there and watched him walk down the hall. When the bathroom door closed behind him, she began twirling around the living room, so happy that she could barely contain it.

Pouncing on her kitten, she forced him to twirl with her. Coming to a stop, she said, “Oh, Midnight! Isn’t this just wonderful?!” Before she could start twirling again, Midnight escaped and ran behind the couch. Melanie laughed at him and continued her twirling dance alone.

When Melanie heard the shower turn off, she stopped twirling and walked briskly down the hall to wait outside the bathroom door.

Soon after, her husband walked out wearing a towel around his waist.

Melanie wrapped her arms back around him and smiled. “Much better,” she said with a grin. Releasing him, she reached for his hand and allowed him to walk with her towards the bedroom.

Looking back, she saw a little black shadow creeping down the hall towards them. Laughing, she said, “No. You can’t come in.” Then she shut the door behind her.

The kitten sat looking at the closed door for a moment before turning around. Spying his favorite toy at the other end of the hall, he took off after it.

Awhile later, Melanie and Robert came out of the bedroom. They settled themselves on the couch and talked while looking at the Christmas tree.

After a bit, Robert began to yawn. Smiling at his wife, he said, “I’m sorry, sweetheart. I’m absolutely exhausted.”

She smiled at him and said, “Then head to bed, dear. I’ll be there in a little bit. I took that nap earlier and I’m still awake. I’m going to stay up awhile longer and just look at the tree.”

“Okay,” he replied, getting up from the couch. Then he bent over to kiss her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Now get to bed before you fall over,” she laughed as he swayed a bit.

“Good night,” he called over his shoulder as he walked down the hall.

She sat smiling and watched him walk away down the hall.

When she heard the bedroom door close, she laid down on the couch. As she did, Midnight jumped up and curled against her. Lulled by his purr and the soft twinkling lights, Melanie drifted off to sleep.

*****

Melanie sat up on the couch looking around her in confusion. She hadn’t meant to fall asleep again. As her mind began to process what she was seeing, she asked herself, Where is Robert’s bag? Why can’t I hear him sleeping?

At that moment, she heard the final words to one of her favorite Christmas songs: “I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.”

“Oh,” she said quietly. “He did come home, but only in my dreams.” Sitting back on the couch, she smiled. “But it sure was a great dream.” Then she reached over and placed Midnight on her lap.

Word Count = 1409
© Copyright 2008 Erin J. Roberts (sldrsprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500327-Ill-be-Home-for-Christmas