*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500719-Misplaced-Love
Rated: 18+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1500719
A young one's love for another is not returned
Dante watched as Betsy walked by slowly. She walked by the fence every morning on her way to work, and Dante always stopped whatever he was doing, hoping to catch her eye. She was so beautiful. Her soft, straight hair shown in the sunlight of the summer morning.

“Forget about it,” Chester interrupted him with a slap to the back of the head.

“Hey!” Dante ran after him. Someday he’d catch him and he’d pay. He wasn’t sure if he could ever have a girl like Betsy. He scratched out a meager living but he knew, as he got older, his job at the farm would bring him everything he could ask for. Someday he’d be on top of the heap. And he wanted to be there with Betsy.

“Dante,” Chester panted after their long run across the field, “Why don’t you give up your thing for Betsy? Seriously, I know Flora likes you. Everyone’s been saying that Chandy has been checking you out every night at dinner. Heck, even Jasmine wants you. You could have any other girl around here that you wanted. What’s the fascination with Betsy?”

“She’s just so beautiful, Chester.” Dante thought back to last week when Flora had tried to kiss him behind the barn. Her lips were hard, and her eyes flicked nervously. All he could think about was Betsy with her big, chocolate eyes and wide, soft mouth. He’d run from Flora as fast as he’d gone behind the barn with her. He was testing his love for Betsy, he rationalized. “Besides, word is none of those girls are going to be around here after this summer. Come fall, they are all gone.”

“Exactly, my friend. No commitments! That’s the best part about those girls.” Chester jabbed Dante in the ribs.

“I’m not that kind of guy, Chester,” Dante thought about the other girls. He knew why he heard the old man likening a bunch of women talking to a hen house. He couldn’t stand their incessant cackling. They were in everybody’s business and just never stopped. Betsy, though, only spoke when she had something to say. Her quiet demeanor was very attractive to him. The day went on, with Dante deep in thought about Betsy. Before he knew it, it was time for Betsy to be coming home from work. He ran to the fence, cursing it. “This fence,” he thought, “cannot keep us apart forever. Today I’m going to talk to her. For sure, I’m going to talk to her.”

Dante became quiet as Rex walked by. Damn him. Rex was so big and muscular, the epitome of a man. Dante looked at his small body and wondered if there was any way he would ever be so virile.

“You know, D, Rex came here to get Betsy as his girl. If you ask me, you don’t have a shot with that stud around.” Chester chided from behind him.

Rex heard the comment and came to the fence, “Squirt,” he spat, “You don’t have a chance with a girl like Betsy. You’re way out of your league! You’re a chicken!” he said triumphantly as Dante heard Betsy’s cow bell clang by behind Rex.

“I’m not a chicken!! I’m not!!” Dante yelled after the pair as they headed for the barn. “I’m a rooster!”

Word Count: 552
© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500719-Misplaced-Love