*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501045-NO-MORE-RESOLUTIONS
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1501045
Contest entry
Well, here we are again looking at the closeout of another year. I don’t know about you but it seems to me that the older I get the faster time flies, and flies and flies…

Another year has come and gone and I not only don’t know where it went, I’m not even sure when it came. Perhaps old uncle Alz Heimer has come to pay me a visit.

I often find myself reflecting back to the good old days, especially to and from work, but then it hits me…Yo dummy! Those weren’t your good old days. The events I had been daydreaming about happened two hundred or two thousand years ago.

Then again, maybe I “was” there and the memories of my other lives have started filtering back into my present mind. Someone once said, “the thing I miss the most that I lost, is my mind!”

But, I don’t believe in reincarnation… do I?

Some eastern religions do believe in past lives and think that we return to this earth over and over again until we eventually… get it right!

I personally don’t like the idea of croaking then reporting to Saint Peter for duty only to be told to - “Get your $#%& back down there… meathead! After 837 times - you still haven’t got it right!”

However, in the unlikely event that I have lived past lives, I’m certain they aren’t exactly worth remembering. With my luck I was probably a stinkbug or a polecat or at best a soldier or orphan, nothing glamorous like a great warrior or statesman or even a really good pirate.

One of my favorite heroes allegedly believed in reincarnation. General George Patton would often tell his staff about ancient battles in which he participated and described in intimate detail how it felt to die.

Well, the past is past and there’s no way we can go back and change it, unless of course one happens to be a Science Fiction writer or a resident of La-La Land, which may be interchangeable.

Getting back to the original subject, have you decided on your New Year’s resolution yet?

I have. I made a great resolution a few years ago to make no more New Year’s resolutions… and I’m sticking to it!

The way I figure it, I always break them so why make them in the first place? Makes good sense to me.

Then again, my record on good sense hasn’t been all that good lately either. Some of the things I’ve done this past year showed a distinct lack of common sense, much less good sense. I reckon that’s Uncle Al’s influence again.

If you haven’t yet made a New Year’s resolution, may I have the honor and privilege of recommending one?

To have a wonderful 2012, my humble suggestion is to think often of - “The Sound of Music.”



© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501045-NO-MORE-RESOLUTIONS