*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1503178-Mall-Santa-grants-a-Christmas-Wish
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1503178
My December 8th Daily Flash Fiction entry

Parents took pictures of their little ones on Santa’s lap as they regaled him with the stories of the times they were good, hoping he’d forget the times they were bad, and gave him lists as long as the migration pattern of a goose. We were in line for over an hour, Marge’s kids and I. The lady in front of me, with a brood of four, randomly chased down a child and brought him or her back to the line.

She turned to me, finally, after gathering the hand or coat hood of each and asked, “What do you think people would think if I put them on those harnesses… you know, the ones they make for kids?”

I laughed. “I think people with kids would truly understand.”

“Yours are so well behaved. I don’t know how you do it.”

“Threats of violence, mostly,” she laughed, knowing I was joking. “They’re not mine, actually. My friend had to work.”

“Well, that makes sense. Seems like they always behave better when they’re not yours.”

That gave me a wonderful, marvelous idea. I always had to scrimp and save for Christmas presents. I knew I should get a second job, if just for the month, but never knew what I would enjoy doing. This lady was a Godsend. The next day, I walked through the North Mall with my flyers. Santa would be there the next weekend. My flyers proclaimed Holiday Babysitting – complete with a visit with Santa… for a small fee, of course! I also offered my services for the weekend after, when Santa would be visiting the library. My phone rang continuously.

Checking over my bankroll, I knew my family would have the best Christmas presents I’d ever bought for them. Thank you, Mall Santa!

Word Count: 296
© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1503178-Mall-Santa-grants-a-Christmas-Wish