*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504519-P-A-S-S-A-G-E-to-INDEPENDENCE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Beauty
Rated: 13+ · Article · Personal · #1504519
A family's horrific journey to a better life. Note: Names have been changed.
Refugees are frequently in the eye of the media. Many have suffered the loss of their family, friends, possessions, homeland and culture. Repeatedly, refugees and asylum seekers are seen as victims to be pitied. They are characterized as unusual, alien-like and dysfunctional people. However, is it the truth or a false perception? On the contrary, they are intrepid and courageous heroes who are akin to the greatest adventures.

On January 17th 2003, an Iraqi family immigrated to New Zealand after fleeing Iraq in 1999 to embark on a four year journey to independence. Jay and Leila Ali dreamt of giving their seven children an opportunity to have an excellent education and a superior life. As Shiite Muslims they were expecting to come under Saddam's radar; their lived were endangered. “My brother was executed by Saddam because he was in a group which was against Saddam,” says Jay.

It was compulsory for all young men to enlist in the army. Like most parents, Jay and Leila were concerned. The Ali name would trigger a red alert and their days would be numbered. By paying off the authorities, Jay managed to keep his eldest sons from enlisting, although it couldn't last forever. “They could go back into our history,” says Jay, and list the veil on the family's connections.

Thus the Alis fled Iraq along with an aunt. In a traumatic journey, they crossed the border into Iran where they lived for a year, masking false passports and raising the $US 35,000 it cost. They would subsequently travel to Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Nauru before settling in New Zealand.

To get across borders, the Alis on occasion paid off customs officers. “A smuggler told us, 'if you have a problem, just open your passports and put in American dollars.' So we did.”

Again in disguise, they used fake passports to depart to Malaysia. “There was a young Iraqi lady on the plane with us. Her husband was in Australia and she was trying to go there.”

A long, exhausting flight from Tehran brought them to Malaysia where they stayed nearly three months in hotels and then set off to Singapore where they stayed for 10 days in a luxury hotel. The Alis then travelled by boat to Waterfront in Indonesia. The family was given instructions by the smuggler to take a plane from Waterfront to Jakarta using the fake passports. They were granted entry visas. However, after getting into the taxi, the driver asked;
"Where are you going?"

Jay answered, "To the airport."

The driver then said, "So you're not real tourists. You are like the others, trying to go to Australia."

Their plan failed. Indonesian police arrived and detained the family, however, Monty, Jay's son, managed to escape the police by running away. The Alis were later deported back to Singapore.

The family got hold of their son and realized he was in a refugee camp alongside other Iraqis. The Iraqi lady had helped him. Thus the family then strolled to the camp and stayed in Indonesia for four months. The Iraqis were planning to leave to Australia. A smuggler was taking them to Australia via a wooden ship. “We paid him about $US 10, 000.”

Failing yet again, they were caught near Australia after their ship was emptied of fuel. A helicopter flew above the ship causing the men to take off their shirts and wave to the helicopter in desperation. To their disappointment, the helicopter flew by without notice.

Hours later, the helicopter returned and lowered Australian marine officers. Everybody aboard was taken onto an Australian Navy ship. Convinced that they would be taken to Australia, the Iraqis cooperated. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months. “People became impatient.” Finally the truth came out; Australia had paid $10 million to dump the refugees in Nauru.

Nauru was not the desired destination.

Following a long interview with the adult members of the Ali family, it was claimed that the Alis did not fit the characteristics of a refugee.

Nevertheless, months passed and they were declared refugees. Since the family did not have relatives in other countries, they were accepted into New Zealand. They ultimately accomplished their goal. “New Zealand is our home.”
© Copyright 2008 Beauty (beautygurl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504519-P-A-S-S-A-G-E-to-INDEPENDENCE