*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504539-The-quest-for-second-sight
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1504539
I wrote this back a few years ago.
I went to the witch in the seven towers over Gensa. I was told she might be able to help me in my quest for second sight. As I entered into the city the people moved aside and not once looked at me. It was as if they all knew what I came for. They actually covered their faces and their children.

My steed was nervous, while I on the other hand did not think twice of what was going on. As I got closer to the towers I saw fewer people, until I saw no one at all by the time I got a block away. My horse was so jumpy that I dismounted and walked the rest by foot.

I got to the door of the third tower and knocked four times in sets of three as I had been told to do. The door opened slowly, a small boy answered it. He said nothing to me but shaded his eyes from mine and pointed to the staircase. I was to climb to the top. There was a torch at the base of the stairs and that was all, no light anywhere else. I took the torch in my hand and proceeded up the staircase. It seemed like hours to climb those stairs. I guess it was a test of some sort to determine if you deserve to see the witch.

After reaching the top of the stairs there was a short hallway to walk down. This was it no turning back, no time to think of quitting not after all I had been through. I slowly reached for the handle. Before I laid a hand on it a voice came from the other side. It told me to remove my chest armor and sword, that I wouldn't be needing them. What I was about to see wouldn't be affected by such trivial toys of man. I entered the room without my sword and armor as I was told. I saw an old woman bent over a small fire in the middle of the room. It had a small kettle over the fire. "What have you come here for?" "I seek second sight and I was told you might help." "That I can." she replied. "But what would a warrior want with such power?" "I wish to know what battles I shall win." "That is rather foolish." she replied. "Since you have made it here uninjured I must do as you asked that is the law." She stirred in the kettle then turned toward the shelves on the wall and uncovered a golden chalice.

She went back to the kettle with chalice in hand. Again she stirred and poured a small amount into the chalice. Taking the chalice in both her hands she asked me, "Do you really want what I have to offer?" "Yes!" I replied as I took the chalice from her hands and put it to my lips. The taste was horrid. I've never tasted anything that bad before. "What is that?" I asked. "The blood of a thousand demons." she replied. All at once I felt I would vomit. "This will pass soon." she said, that it did.

A few minutes later I started to see myself jumping from the tower. I didn't know why but that was all I could see. Then things that had nothing to do with me came to my vision. I saw it all clear as a bell and not knowing why. My mind became stuffed and I felt as if I were going mad. Finally to overcome such sights, I threw myself from the tower and was killed instantly on the rocks below.
© Copyright 2008 cosmicgypsy (ohnj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504539-The-quest-for-second-sight