*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1505266-Funniest-book-of-the-year
Rated: 18+ · Novel · LGBTQ+ · #1505266
My web page is: http://www.outskirtspress.com/misadventuresofsistermaryolgafortitude
Have I got a book for you! I am a new author who has just had his first in a series of NINE novels published. It is entitled “The Misadventures of Sister Mary Olga Fortitude” and it is written under my pen name of Davis Aujourd'hui. It was released by Outskirts Press in October and it is now available for sale through Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble websites.

The purpose of my book is to entertain its readers, making them laugh out loud and to not take life so seriously. It is an irreverent and bawdy book with a spiritual message for people from all walks of life.
The book is about a wayward nun who is a closet drinker and a chain-smoker. She teaches classes in “Advanced Holiness” at the Have a Heart convent in the fictional town of Bucksnort, Wisconsin. She takes the attitude of “to each their own” and she takes pot shots at conservative religious and social attitudes of the day

All of the characters are flawed in the most delightful ways. The Reverend Mother is a reformed prostitute. The convent's chef is a gay cowboy. Then there's the nasty town prude and busybody named Priscilla Bunhead. She's always digging in the dirt and there's plenty of that for her to find in the fictional town of Bucksnort, Wisconsin. There's a lot of hanky panky going on there! The humor is wacky and over-the top.

The premise of the book is now in the hands of Bette Midler's agent as a possible movie vehicle for this comedic actress. With nine books written and many more planned, I could keep her working for the rest of her life.

The book has the potential to attract a wide audience of readers. Yet it will be especially of interest to “recovering Catholics,” recovering alcoholics, and to gay and lesbian readers. Even so, the diverse audience of readers who have already read it have been able to relate to it whether or not they fit into any of these groups. One of the first to have read the book spent an entire evening devouring it. She then announced, in so many words, “I couldn't put it down. I'm addicted and I can't wait for the next one!”

I am a new author, yet I possess a rich life experience that has enabled me to draw from it in order to create a colorful canvas upon which to paint very human lives. I am a retired social worker, having worked for Adult Protective Services Syracuse, New York for nearly twenty years. I developed these characters in order to lighten the load of a colleague of mine through the gift of humor.

I am a former actor and, as will be the case with my title character in the third book in the series, I am a recovering alcoholic. I also happen to be gay. I can speak from my own experience. I have possessed all of the foibles of my cast of characters, both those naughty, nasty, and nice. Of course, the naughty and nasty characters create most of the humor!

I have also written my autobiography which is about a gay man's spiritual journey toward recovery from multiple addictions (including sex!) along with mental illness and HIV disease. That is entitled “King David” and it will hopefully be released within another year or so. That should be one for Oprah Winfrey's book club. I plan on making the mark!

Check out my webpage at
http://www.outskirtspress.com/misadventuresofsistermaryolgafortitude

You'll be able to read a sample chapter, see the wonderfully illustrated cover, and hear an audio excerpt. You'll also find out who within my life is the image of the title character. She's the one who appears on the front cover with the bottle of bourbon behind her back!



© Copyright 2008 Davis Aujourd'hui (daujourdhui at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1505266-Funniest-book-of-the-year