*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507275-Snowed-In
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1507275
Entry for Daily Flash Fiction
I looked in the pantry, searched the cupboards, wondered where the Honey Buns were. I sat back down and stared at my laptop’s blank screen. I hadn’t written anything in months. Well…nothing worth submitting to any contests.

My wife walked by, still in her pajamas, making her third trip to the coffee pot. We were snowed in. She was watching soap operas. She never does that, but we aren’t usually snowed in either.

I typed a few words: I looked in the pantry…

It wasn’t Shakespeare, but it was a start.

In the sweetest voice I could muster, I asked my wife, “Hon, where are the Honey Buns?”

Her response wasn’t what I wanted to hear.

“They weren’t on the shopping list,” she answered as she made her way back to the television.

“Are you sure?”

“Well yeah…I’m sure.”

“Did you read the list carefully when you went shopping? I know I wrote Honey Buns on the list.”

“They weren’t on the list and if you would wear your new eyeglasses instead of that old pair, you would have known what was on the list…fix yourself some toast.”

“I like this old pair of glasses; they feel good on my nose and I don’t want toast.”

I stared out the window; it was beginning to snow again. A man on the television was selling anti-aging cream. I thought it was silly…a man selling cream to women during the day. I wondered if he liked Honey Buns.

I managed to get a few more words written and thought I might even have a story I could submit. I hit the save icon as my wife walked into the kitchen.

“I’m fixing toast, are you sure you don’t want some?”

“Yeah…I would like some toast, got any cinnamon?”

“Cinnamon?”


297 words
Prompt: write a story that includes a coffee pot, a pair of eyeglasses, and a shopping list.
© Copyright 2008 Coffeebean (lastcactus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507275-Snowed-In