*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507447-Sun-Creature-page-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1507447
Second page of my Sun Creature novel. Modern Fantasy
         "...Saibel?"

         The voice came from a young man with messy black hair and dark, empty eyes. Saibel immediately recognized him as her brother and boss, Jack. "Yeah, it's me." She told him, walking up to the till of the bookshop and dropping the golden moon-shaped medallion on the hard mahogany table.
         Saibel felt uneasy. The sun was setting outside, the light within the room dimming. Before the waxing moon rose in the black sky, Saibel flicked the switch at the wall behind her. Her lips pursed and she crossed her arms as the fluorescent bulb filled the room with it's artificial light.
         Jack was sitting on a black leather spin-chair, smirking to himself. The medallion was in his hand, and he was twirling it beneath his fingers. He did this as if it wasn't made of heavy gold, but light tin.
         "Well? What is it? Why did you need it so urgently?" She asked, motioning her hand to the gold moon in his. Jack shrugged his arms, smirking still. "It's none of your business." He said. Saibel glared at him, finding his response childish.
          She wanted to find out more but she didn't want to push Jack. He was a mule. "Whatever..." She said, slightly annoyed.
         "Saibel, make me a coffee?" He demanded, his eyes not looking at her, but staring at the medallion like a child would look at a sparkly toy.
         Saibel rolled her eyes and turned to the 'employees only' marked door behind the register. She flung the door open and stepped into the small corridor behind it.
         The corridor was small with two glass doors, both paths lighted. No one turned the lights off back here, even when they were asleep. One door led to the stairs, going up to their home. The other door led to an office like area, which Saibel considered Jack's room. He was there most of the day, ordering books for the shop and things like that. She went into this room, through it's glass paned door, and immediately saw the coffee machine. She made a cup quickly and returned out to the shop to hand it to Jack.
         Jack took the cup and inhaled the coffee bean's vigorous scent, before waving his hand at Saibel to shoo her away. She sighed, a bit pissed off, and went back out through the employee door and up to their home without  saying goodnight.
         Upstairs, Saibel found the door to her room and unlocked it, opening it without thinking...
         Darkness seemed to pour out of the door.
         Saibel shrieked, the moonlit room hurting her. She shaked, nearly falling to her knees with the physical pain. Her gold eyes shone in the light, an unnatural color. The darkness stabbed at her insides. Her skin burned as if the black absence of light was fire. It coiled around her legs, her arms, as if pinning her to the ground and claiming her. She found her bed post, and used it to pull herself up. She couldn't think. She found the light switch and flicked it on, and everything stopped.

         "Shit..." was the only thing she found the energy to say.
         She was a creature of light. Her golden hair and golden eyes seemed to proclaim that to the world. She could use light. Travel at it's speed. But she couldn't stand the dark. It was more than a psychological fear, it was a physical weakness. It was because she was a creature of light, she could not exist without it. For long within darkness meant death.
         She thought all this to herself as she sat on her bed, staring blankly at the closed curtained window.
         "I heard screaming... was the light off?" Jack said with too much casualty, having obviously made a priority of finishing his coffee before coming up to see if his sister was alive. Jack was nothing but human. They were not biological siblings. Saibel glared at him, the reality of her thoughts making her feel angry.
         "Yeah it was, you asshole, took your time to check up on me, didn't you." She grimaced, "I'm fine. Go away, let me sleep."
         Jack said nothing, his expression as empty as his gaze. He turned and left Saibel on her own. She slowly found her eyelids growing heavy, and she fell sideways onto the pillow, letting the light of the bulb be her blanket...
         
© Copyright 2008 [{blakrit}] (idkwtf247 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507447-Sun-Creature-page-2