*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508992-My-New-Outlook-on-life
Rated: E · Article · Philosophy · #1508992
How a simple book change my outlook on life.
My plan is to share my journey with you in hopes that maybe one or two of you can find a point of interest that could have a positive impact on your life as well. Today I take a vow - to myself, feel free to take a vow of your own and keep in touch with me so we can support each other in our journey.

A few weeks ago a friend loaned me a book that had a HUGE impact on my outlook in life. The book is entitled "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff" by Richard Carlson PH.D. This book had me at the introduction, by the end of the 3rd "mini chapter" I knew I had to own it. This book breaks down into small manageable bites ways to de-stress your life to regain the joys that are there, but unappreciated.

I am the first to admit that I stress over everything and that more often than not my body aches from tension. I need to fix my outlook on life for my own health and well being as well as for my daughter's sake. I do not want her to grow into an uptight, panicky, fly off the handle kind of woman like I currently am. I want to enjoy her journey through elementary school as she explores new and amazing learning experiences. I want to enjoy watching her frolic in the autumn leaves with our puppy. I want to be able to curl up and watch a movie without a textbook or a to-do list in my lap. I want to enjoy my life!

My journey begins, care to join me?

I have Vowed the following:
# 1 To open my mind to new concepts on how to interact in a more positive manner with others.

#2 Zipped Lips ~ Stop - think - breathe, before reacting to anything I find upsetting so I can stop yelling, panicking and crying my way through life.

#3 Grinning ~ Take better care of my own mental and physical self even if it means something on my list doesn't get done.

# 4 Loving ~ Spend more time with my daughter, enjoying everything about her and not checking the clock till her bedtime so I can "get to work".

# 5 Whistling ~ Accept that life is not now, nor will it ever be perfect and to be grateful for everything I have been blessed with instead of constantly wanting a "better life".


In the weeks since I discovered this book, the change in my attitude has been remarked on by co-workers, neighbors and my daughter. My neighbor tends to stress himself to extremes as well and has started reading my book in small spurts - he loves it so much he bought a copy for his sister for Christmas. It is an easy read and is written in an easy to understand manner. The author presents himself as a real person complete with flaws and not a know it all specialist that would make the reader feel distanced. By pointing out short simple behavioral patterns that people have adapted without realizing it encourages the reading to make changes one step at a time.

I have noticed that for the first time in years I have survived the Christmas Holidays without tears, hyperventilation or nightmare. I simply took it one step at a time and reminded myself that the stresses that came my way were little things and not worth the worry. If the Turkey was dry - then eat the ham. If my daughter felt she wasn't getting enough gifts, maybe she will try harder to behave next year while mommy plans her holiday budget earlier in the year. (I fully intend to start stockpiling gifts in March this year since no matter how hard I try something always goes wrong with my holiday budgeting.)

By facing my days with a more positive attitude I am enjoying my life more, crying (and drinking) less, and making more time for the important things in life - my daughter. My grades are more stable, my boss yells less and it's all good!

Regardless of what inspires your journey to a calmer life, I urge you to take that step. Admit you are under too much stress and take steps to reduce or manage that stress in a healthy way so you can begin enjoying your life more.
© Copyright 2008 Tink_mom42 (tink_mom42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508992-My-New-Outlook-on-life