*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509029-The-World-Seen-Through-Your-Nose
by Franki
Rated: E · Article · Children's · #1509029
This is a short nonfiction article written for kids between 6-10 years old.
Close your eyes.  Plug your ears.  Imagine the only way to "see" your world is through your nose.  Could you recognize your friends by smelling them?  Helen Keller, a famous blind and deaf woman, "saw" her friends this way.  She knew everyone has his or her own special body odor.  It's determined by your health, where you live and the food you eat.

Our houses even have their own distinct odors.  This depends on the soap used in your bath and laundry, the food your mom cooks, and the cleaners she uses for your house.  Have you noticed your house smells different from your friends?  Helen Keller, as a little girl, knew what neighbor's house she was passing by its different smells.

The way your nose "sees" is special.  What one person loves, another hates.  What are your favorite smells?  Your least favorite?  Are they the same as your friends?

Some odors trigger memories stored in our brains.  What do you think of when you smell a new book?  Some think of the first day of school.  What about popcorn with melted butter?  A turkey roasting in the oven?  Do they remind you of special times?

Many smells can protect us.  Have you ever smelled smoke or bad food?  This can save your life.  For this reason, the gas company adds a stink to our gas to warn us of a leak.

Smells can make you hungry or spoil your appetite.  They can make you sneeze, eyes water, even make you sick.  What you like, dislike and who you are as a person can be determined by different odors.  Every second of your life, your world can be "seen" through your nose.
© Copyright 2008 Franki (flee1985 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509029-The-World-Seen-Through-Your-Nose