*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509521-Noras-Tails
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1509521
The tale of how she rescued us and changed our lives.
"To The Rescue"

Last spring, my daughter and I moved into a new apartment complex.  We loved it! The neighbors, the area… everything.  The best part is that THIS complex allows dogs (small ones).  Our old complex allowed cats only and I have nothing against cats – I do have issues with litter boxes though.

I have always had dogs, my whole family has dogs and I adore them.  When summer hit and we were settled in, I went to petfinders.com and posted a search for a small female dog, around 1 year old and medical necessities tended to.  A few days later I got an email with a picture of this pathetic black terrier with a white streak down her chest. She had huge expressive brown eyes and semi floppy ears. The picture instantly made me “Awwwww”.  My daughter came running and her eyes filled with tears. “What does urgent mean mommy?” 

I grabbed my phone and called (how could I not?)  This poor puppy, they said, was about 2-3 months old, half starved, wormy and covered in fleas. She was left on the shelter stoop that morning in a thunderstorm and when they went to pick her up she growled and tried to attack.  Urgent, they told me, meant that she was not medically or temperamentally likely to adopt, so they were giving her 3 days before they put her down. Needless to say, within a half hour my daughter and I were driving across state in violent thunderstorms to meet this pathetic little waif.

We walked into the shelter and they brought the “vicious” creature out.  They put her in my arms and she immediately covered my face in puppy kisses before wiggling off to get where she most wanted to be.  She threw herself into my daughters lap – looked around defiantly so everyone in the room would know that is HER lap and proceeded to thoroughly groom “her girls” face. I swear that tail almost wagged itself right off!  The receptionist asked if we wanted her and my daughter and I responded in unison, “Duh!” We filled out the paperwork, loaded her up and home we went – knowing we had just been rescued by this half starved little mutt.

On the drive home everyone was quiet and I was focusing on the road since it was still storming.  Suddenly my daughter started crying hysterically in the backseat.  I pulled over in panic and asked what was wrong.  The puppy was sound asleep with her head in Jo’s lap and she was gazing down at the puppy with her face covered in tears. “She is so beautiful mommy – I love her with all my heart!”  I still get misty when I remember that moment – the moment my daughter first fell into an all consuming love.



" Finally Settled In"

The months following our rescue of Nora are still a haze of potty training, endless walks in the park, mysterious holes in the couch and carpet and a full round of puppy shots.  The vet said she was closer to 6 months old than 2-3 months and a steady diet of quality food rounded her out nicely giving her coat a glossy shine.  She was logged as a terrier mix – a little boston, some rat and maybe a hint of beagle. We made the appointment to get her “fixed” and all was well.  Sadly, the brakes went out on my car, consuming the “fix the puppy fund”.  I have always considered myself a responsible pet owner and am a firm believer in not creating more puppies, but I am also a single mom and the $300 for the procedure was no longer doable.  Tax time, I would take care of it. 

The destruction to my apartment was horrible!  She actually ate several holes in the carpet,  destroyed my couch, chewed up a windowsill….  It was an ongoing nightmare. She would only potty outside when and if she felt like it and my daughter’s room still gets occasional surprises.  I was forced to kennel her during the day which broke my poor little heart.  The neighbor was going nuts worrying about her all day as well, so I broke down and gave him a key so he could “puppy sit” and let her out a few times a day.  Finally we were all happy and everyone felt better.  He and I stopped having fits; Nora actually loves “her room” and climbs in to nap whenever the mood strikes – things have finally settled in.

October came around and my beautiful snuggle-puppy became a woman.  Strays came from far and wide and despite the combined efforts of most of the neighborhood, Nora became pregnant. Our best guess it is was either the ugly tan chow or the gorgeous tan boxer – either way I was having Grand puppies. Yikes!!!  According to a canine pregnancy calendar a friend recommended to me at http://www.maplesprings.com/pregnancy.html, I determined that the babies would be here between December 26 and January 2nd. 

I immediately started hunting good homes among my friends and family for the little ones, none of them will ever end up in a pound as long as I am alive. All puppy adoptees were required to swear to return the babies to me if for any reason they couldn’t keep them. I would keep one of them here for Nora – it would be cruel to put her through birth and take them all away, I couldn’t do that to her.  As best as I could tell there were 2 in there, if she had 4 then they going to be midget puppies.  

I began researching everything I needed to know to be a good grannie.  She went on a high protein diet, I added puppy food to her big girl food to help with nutrition, I had extra bowls of fresh water around the house and the birthing suite was ready. Her tummy was hard, she kept tearing at blankets to “nest” and she wasn’t playing like she usually did.  We were down to the last day or two before the big event – and I was scared to death! 

Every night, we snuggled and I rubbed her tummy.  Her eyes were full of both confusion and trust, she had no clue what was happening to her and actually expected me to know what to do!  My puppy sitter had his instructions and was praying she wouldn’t go into labor while I was at work. I had absorbed everything I had been told about the birthing, I was prepared and educated but I couldn’t relax until I know my baby would be ok. 

By the time they were weaned my tax refund would be here. She would get fixed and our little one would begin his shots – I planned pre-pay for his neuter then.  Yes his, my daughter had declared that we are keeping the smallest boy puppy and she would name him “Nicholas Scrappy Doo” after Santa and her favorite puppy in the world… next to Nora.


"The Pitter Patter of Petite Paws"

The week following Christmas had to be one of the longest weeks of my life! The “any minute” possibilities of labor turned me into a complete and total wreck. Remaining calm and finding my inner peace during that week was a difficult trial, but I focused on the important thing. I was going to have precious little furballs scampering around my house and I couldn’t wait.

Every nightmare I had for myself when I was pregnant with Jo, I now had on Nora’s behalf. I remembered the pain and confusion, worried about stillbirths and infection. I admit it – I just plain worried until I was on the verge of making myself sick. Jo was concerned and wondering why Nora didn’t just have the puppies already and her teacher was asking her daily if the puppies were here yet. The neighbor lady that planned on adopting one of the tiny tots was checking in two to three times a day and the puppy sitter was over here at least hourly checking on her all week. There were so many people involved I actually had a call list for when she went into labor. This was a HUGE event!

Poor Nora was about ready to throttle me by the end of the week.  She would be playing fetch and I would tell her to “go lay down and have puppies already” or “would you mind acting more like you are pregnant please?”  She would be taking a nap and I would whisper “Psst – Nora!  Push!!!” She would open her eyes long enough to glare at me and roll over.  I couldn’t sleep because every time she moved I thought she was going into labor and inevitably woke her up while checking on her – so she started sleeping with Jo. Her tummy was rock hard, she would whimper in her sleep – these babies were almost here!

My best friend from high school grew up to be a vet. Well, that’s a bit of an understatement, but I won’t list all her degrees here. She is however a certified genius, a member of MENSA since she was 18 and she is a Professor in one of the top veterinary colleges in the US.  She was home for New Years for the first time in 8 years and the first thing I did was introduce her to my waddling pregnant soon to be mommy.  She opted not to examine her (probably because Nora wouldn’t stop barking and snarling at her every time their eyes met – something about the “vet smell” I suspect). She did give me a lecture about table scraps and mentioned the phrase “False Canine Pregnancy”. She stated it was very common in small dogs with their first heat.  I immediately decided she is obviously an idiot and knows nothing about dogs – we are having puppies.

Nora’s due date was technically supposed to be January 2nd, by the 3rd I was a bit concerned. I did some google research on this false pregnancy thing and found that the dog is technically pregnant – just no babies. They have all the hormonal changes, they get the baby belly, the diet and attitude change, they sleep more and can actually even go into labor. In extreme cases they begin to have some mental issues, apparently blaming the owners for stealing the non-existent babies, can have health issues and require hormone treatment and a fast spay.  Naturally I panicked!

I called my Vet friend and was told the only way to know for sure was to get a blood pregnancy test, get an x-ray or wait another week or two. I was really starting not to like her….  I called vet after vet in the phone book and they all told me I needed immediate x-rays and no they will not let me postdate a check. Certain my puppy was going to die any minute now from these phantom puppy monsters, I rushed to H & R Block and did the really fast credit card loan thing that will cost me a large chunk of my refund. Armed with my little green card I called one of the vets back to make an appointment for x-rays.  The nice nurse (sensing my hysteria) put the vet on the phone and she started asking me questions. When was the heat, do I know for a fact he got her (well, no – she got loose, they took off….) Is she acting strangely, hunting for babies, destroying things, being mean to us not eating or playing (no – she acting like her normal psycho-puppy self…)

The nice vet told me to calm myself down and breathe.  False canine pregnancy rarely results in an emergency medical need and usually simply disappears. Tummy goes down, playing increases and the non-mommy is just fine. Until I have reason to panic, don’t.  Finally REAL advice! I like this woman!  She said to give it a few more days and if I don’t have puppies, I won’t be having puppies. 

I’m sorry folks. I know you are waiting for me to type a dramatic ending about how I got home that night to a sweet little litter of fur and I truly wish I could. The fact is its well past her due date, she is playing like she is on drugs and her tummy is softer and getting smaller. My daughter is devastated, the neighbor that planned to adopt is barely speaking to me and I intentionally delayed writing this post because I am so disappointed. Yes – I am upset over non-existent puppies. Two months ago I was upset over having puppies, now I am upset over not having them. I never claimed to be emotionally stable you know. 

Maybe in the spring, after Nora gets her spay, I will consider a playmate (one that is already fixed, thank you) but until then, we will all just take our time healing from this experience and enjoying our Nora – grateful that she is perfectly fine and my nightmares didn’t come to be.
© Copyright 2008 Tink_mom42 (tink_mom42 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509521-Noras-Tails