*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509907-OUR-IMAGE
Rated: 13+ · Article · Philosophy · #1509907
Proper image or members of a lesser breed of humanity?
Recent American culture can be broken down into one simple, easy to spell, unassuming little word. That word is - image.

Throughout history image has been an important factor in how a person fits into society or doesn't fit into society. Unfortunately, in our modern society image has become the most important thing; above honor, above sacrifice, even above faith.

Young people in particular have cultivated a need for their version of the proper image.

Many believe that in order to be functional within our society they must have the latest and fastest cars, dress in nothing but designer clothes, live in up-scale homes, and be thoroughly attuned to the latest television themes.

They are bombarded with images of slender, beautiful and elegant young women whose bodies are a perfection of nature, who live in million dollar homes and drive hundred-thousand dollar cars. Or, a vibrant and handsome young man rippling with muscles, drenching with pinache, hero of the gridiron or the elusive lay back throw or aggressive dunk.

In the back of their minds they know these are actors, young thespians or sports idols well paid by merchants to exude that incredible and almost unattainable image.

For some reason though, this does not stop the average young American woman from starving herself to death to get that sleek elegant image, or the young man from taking steroids to build those iron hard muscles, or many from assuming indebtedness they cannot pay in order to obtain that car, those clothes, that ideal American image.

Many Americans are so attuned to "image" that without it, life is not worth living, or they think themselves failures, outcasts, members of a lesser breed of humanity.

Success at any cost becomes the paramount objective. Their idols; the great sports figures, movie stars, celebrities of all types, have replaced their parents and even - their God. They need not make graven images of these heroes, for their minds as well as their hearts have already been captivated.

Success is no longer the simple satisfaction in a job well done, a creation of art that stirs the soul, a great book, bright smile, or even the love that two people share. The image of American success is wealth, power, fame, and even much greed, envy and idolatry.

Many Americans are no longer judged by what they are or what they do, but by the wealth and power they possess and the image they project.

Unfortunately, this American trait has also invaded and planted the seeds of corruption into our Christian society.  Not withstanding the large number of scam artists who use religion to milk millions of dollars from the unwary, the basic tenants of Christianity itself are being assaulted and many of us are not even aware of it.

An example:
One day a young and devout minister paid a visit to a Buddhist monk. He introduced himself as a Christian and told the old monk of his great mission to convert people to Christ.

The old monk shook his head sadly and said, "I am so very sorry for you young man, but you'll find no converts here."

Somewhat taken aback by the old monk's genuinely sympathetic reply, the young minister asked why?

"We have many Americans here who say they are Christians," the old monk replied. "They even attend church each week.  But my people see them each day as they lie to each other, steal from each other, beat their wives, sleep around with other people, many are drunkards, take drugs, use bribes, and look down on our people as beneath them. No, my son, we do not want to be Christians, they pretend piety but are an evil people."

This can be traced back to the old cliche, we must practice what we preach and words without deeds are dead.

The world looks with disdain on Christians who do not live by what they say they believe.

I look with disdain on Americans who do likewise.

Wake up America before it’s too late!


© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509907-OUR-IMAGE