*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511035-Dear-Me
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Contest Entry · #1511035
My entry for the Dear Me Contest.
Dear Me Contest

Dear Me,

It's a brand new year, so you know what that means.  Yes.  Changes. 

This year, we are going to get more creative and vocal.  When it comes to reading and writing, we do a lot of reading, and not so much writing.  It's time to change that.

What I want you to do is to write at least on review a day.  That's right.  One review.  It could be for WDC, or elsewhere, but you need to do it.  Why, you say?  Because, people work hard to create those stories and poems you read.  They deserve some kind of feedback.  Whether you liked it or disliked it, be honest and kind.  It'll help you exercise your vocabulary and allow you to practice putting your thoughts into words.

Second, you are going to write one poem a day.  Haiku and cinquain don't count.  Yes, I know they're poems, also, but unless you're creating something with several verses put together, it's a no.  If you need inspiration or are at a loss for ideas, use a random word generator.  You're a smart girl.  Something will come to you.

Lastly (yes, lastly), you are going to write one story a month.  Right now, I count at least eight you've begun, but haven't completed.  It doesn't have to be a full length story even.  It can be a flash.  The idea is to finish what you've started.  Oftentimes, you get an idea, start writing, then run out of steam, but the story still percolates.  This all goes back to putting your thoughts into words.

Writing isn't supposed to be a chore; it's meant to be fun.  But you should have some discipline, especially when it comes to finishing what you've begun.  Let's also make it a goal to pick one story out of your backlog and finish it every two months.

Think you can do it?  Let's try.  Just one month.  Afterward, we can adjust from there.  Maybe then, we can have one writing free day a month. 

This is a team effort, and I have the utmost confidence in your abilities.  What you need is to gain confidence in yourself.  You can write.  Others have told you the same.  You can do it.  Trust me.

Sincerely,

Your Brain
© Copyright 2009 Wyn - missing III (harperwyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511035-Dear-Me