*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512527-OH-MY-GOD
by weesie
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Emotional · #1512527
How many times do you hear..."Oh My God"?
"OH MY GOD"
By Marie 04/13/02

I've been sitting here thinking about all the times people use the word God.  How many times have you said or heard someone say "Oh God"?

It's usually said in pleasure or surprise or in prayer, but everyone says it, even non-believers.  Small children and seniors, Christians and teachers, people in all walks of life say "Oh my God" at some time or another.  It's said so frequently that it's hardly heard at all.

Maybe, just the fact that it's uttered, is one of the reasons that God is so relevant in our lives, so in the present.  Thanks to everyone, even the non-believers for that!

Who started those words? When did the phrase begin?
Then I wonder about another phrase, not a kindly phrase but the one that damns God.  This is also said in pleasure and surprise, used by people of all faiths and non-faiths, uttered without thought or conscience.

Where and when did it begin?  Who was the first to say it?  I don't mean to point fingers, but I can only assume that the first must have been unloved, unloving or a very evil person.  Who could damn the one responsible for their own being?  Wouldn't that be like damning ones own Mother or Father?

In conclusion, I would have to surmise that the very first to damn God, was damning his own life, he had no love for himself or the ones who loved him.

Maybe we should give it a thought before using Gods name in vain, and the next time the word "God" enters our vocabulary, it will be in the phrase of "My God", which can be very effective without us even knowing how much.

© Copyright 2009 weesie (weesie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512527-OH-MY-GOD