*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512926-Tank-Tops-Bra-Straps-and-Hats---Oh-My
by Em
Rated: E · Essay · Comedy · #1512926
An argument essay for school, mocking our dress code.
         Looking through any school regulation handbook, you will notice one rule that extends through most every district in the country – no tank tops or hats allowed. Sure, there are many other things banned at these schools, such as short shorts, logos of weapons or drugs, and gang paraphernalia, but why are these things grouped in with such innocent items? I understand; bare flesh is distracting to the hormone-filled teenagers inhabiting the school, but since when are shoulders an object of anyone’s lust? As for hats, they cover even more skin – isn’t that the idea here?
         First off, let us address the issue of tank tops being banned in schools. I’m not quite sure why a shoulder is so unacceptable when I’ve seen girls walking around in t-shirts showing off half of their breasts for anyone to see. I have never once seen a boy turn to a friend and say, “Hey, check out the shoulders on that babe,” but on many occasions during the day I have overheard conversations about this girl’s “nice rack” and that girl’s “kickin’ curves.” Trust me – they aren’t talking about shoulders.
         If you’re worried about bra straps showing, there’s always such a thing as a strapless bra or built-in bras. Surely the school board can’t be that behind on fashion. And really now, most schools are allowing tops that have straps at least an inch thick – how much of a difference is one inch going to make when I’ve seen bra straps fall down lower than a normal t-shirt? Make a regulation to ban visible undergarments; no decent person wants to see those anyways – but don’t ban the clothing that you’re worried might show them off. Nowadays it’s a piece of cake to wear a tank top and keep your undergarments to yourself.
         As for hats, what gives? Are administrators worried they’re keeping guns underneath them? If they are going to ban hats, they might as well ban scarves and gloves too – they’re doing just as much damage.
         Hats are nothing more than a fashion statement, completing an outfit just as well as any necklace or pair of earrings – and just as harmless. There is no conceivable reason to justify the banning of hats. Are they worried kids are going to write answers on the bill of a baseball hat and use it to cheat? They shouldn’t be scared – the kids who need to cheat on tests probably aren’t smart enough to think of that in the first place. All jokes aside, hats are harmless. As long as they aren’t so big to be obstructing the view of others during class, they wouldn’t cause any problems whatsoever.
         The banning of these items from school causes more of a nuisance than it would to allow them to be worn. Administrators have to worry about tracking down girls with tank tops on and finding them a shirt to wear – not to mention the possibility of not getting the shirt returned. Not that the girl would actually want the shirt, but anyone would be a little angered at having to wear around a smelly old t-shirt over their cute outfit all day. Teachers also have to constantly harp at kids to take off their hats both in the hallways and in class, wasting time that could be used to educate. Take out the effort it takes to ban these items, and you will see that allowing them is easier on everyone’s part.
         Why not focus more energy on a worthwhile cause? Save the bans for guns, knives, and excessive amounts of cleavage – but innocent clothing? Just let it be.
© Copyright 2009 Em (2kuhle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512926-Tank-Tops-Bra-Straps-and-Hats---Oh-My