*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513696-The-Millionaires-Club-First-Meeting
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1513696
A common American fantasy: winning the lottery. Independent story or first in a series.
The taxi pulled up to the front door of the hotel and the doorman stepped down to open the door. The driver took the money and the generous tip and ran around to the trunk for the baggage. A middle aged woman of generous proportions stepped out of the car and took the doorman’s outstretched hand.

“Thank you,” she said with a smile as she straightened herself and her belongings. She wore a conservative, well-cut pants suit, wrinkle resistant for traveling, obviously off the rack to the fashion conscious, and sensible, but expensive looking shoes.

The doorman took several bags from the driver and put them on the waiting cart. The driver departed without a word as she headed into the front door.

“Which way?” she asked turning to the doorman once inside.

“The porter will show you.”

She turned to see a younger man grabbing the cart and motioning her to go beyond the concierge desk to another counter she hadn’t seen, deeper within the lobby.

The ornate lobby was large and busy, even at barely 7:30 am. The gift shop wasn’t open yet, but many people loitered about with a newspaper and a cup of coffee, or sat in smoking areas, apparently waiting for someone to join them for breakfast or to fetch them to go elsewhere The atmosphere was so cold and aloof that even the employees who smiled seemed to be going through the motions, robots following orders.

She checked in and found there was a message from Nellie, a former coworker the same age. She took it without reading it and followed the porter to the elevator.

They got off on her floor, and she followed the porter to her room. She went into the door as he held it open and saw a small vase of roses with a card. Beside the roses was a fruit basket.

Louise Brickey wanted to be a proper, but down-to-earth, woman. At the same time she didn’t want to look like the rube in the big city, which she was.

“Are flowers and fruit compliments of the hotel?” she asked the porter, who was arranging her bags and drawing the drapes.

“No ma’am. There are probably cards with them.”

“Hmmm.” Oops. She had just shown her untraveled side, like it or not.

She opened her purse and searched for her wallet. The porter kept busy tidying up the room.

She said, “I’m going to be here several days. Will you be working?”

He wasn’t sure why she was asking, but answered, “Yes, ma’am. I work the morning shift.”

“I don’t know that I’ll need anything. I was just wondering if I would see a familiar face if I did.”

She handed him some money. In her mind, a good tip would get him to respond to her quickly. If it wasn’t enough, then she wouldn’t get good service. It would be plenty back in Virginia for good follow-up, but who knew about New York City? And in a better hotel than she had frequented before? She might have just insulted him. Now she was wishing she had given him more, but it was too late.

He finished by reciting services available, and pointing out the location of a menu for room service, and a phone directory. “My name is Roger. Just call the desk if you think of anything else.”

He didn’t seem insulted, but he didn’t seem overjoyed either.

She went to the fruit basket first to look for a card. “Welcome to New York! Frank”.

For an alcoholic, he can be very thoughtful, she chuckled.

The roses were signed, “Hey, beautiful. We’re winners! Jesi”

A very nice touch from such a shallow person. Jesi knew she commanded the attention in every room she entered, but she tried to act humble and over-compliment everyone. She bought their affection with words and now with money.

Louise kicked off her shoes and tore into Nellie’s letter. It was just a short note on hotel stationery. “Caitlin and the babies and I got in early Tuesday. We’re staying until Sunday. Give us a call in room 507 when you get in.”

She looked at the clock and sat down on the bed where she noticed foil wrapped chocolates on the pillows. She grabbed the phone and dialed.

“Hello,” answered a deep, throaty female voice on the other end.

“Hey, it’s Louise.”

“Louise, baby, how are you?”

“Great. How are you?”

“Loving life. Everything’s changed. And these grandbabies are wonderful.”

“Is Caitlin with you?”

“No, George came with us, so they have their own room. One of the babies is with me now. I can’t take them both at once.”

“I understand. What time are we meeting?”

“9 am. Not very far off. As soon as we get the kids changed, Caitlin and I are going down. George is going to keep them while we’re gone. He’s having room service.”

“Ok, I guess I’ll freshen up and meet you there. Later.”

“Ok, baby.”

Nellie was one year older than Louise and they had hit it off right away at work. Most of the people around them were much younger. Nellie fit in with the younger crowd easily because of her close connection with her daughter. Now the three of them were part of this small circle of misfits. And they were meeting for breakfast in New York City as previously arranged. Ten breakfast meetings a year, each one in a different city.

Louise opened her cosmetics bag and brushed her teeth, flossed her teeth, then rinsed. She was very particular about dental hygiene. Her teeth had never been whitened and didn’t need it. Bacteria didn’t have much of a chance.

She emerged from her room, wearing a slimming black dress with white polka dots and black pumps with black tinted hose on her pale legs. Louise felt like a dweeb, totally out of her element. She went back to the first floor for the restaurant. She spied Frank and JB talking outside the door. JB waved.

JB was forty-something, tall, rugged looking, hair thinning but not graying. His belt did not have that forty-something paunch creeping over it. He looked pleasantly middle class, comfortably dressed, and very self-confident. Frank was always neatly attired in traditional styles. Although sixtyish, graying, and shorter than JB, he looked quite nice for his age. And he always smiled beneath a neatly trimmed mustache.

She walked over to them, relieved to be with someone she knew. JB made a slight bowing gesture, and in a loud voice, said “Good morning, Mrs. Brickey. So nice to see you.”

“Hey there. How are you?” said Frank, before she could address either of them.

“I’m wonderful. Just got in this morning. Oh, Frank, thank you for the fruit.”

“Yes, wasn’t that nice? I got one, too. Did you send everybody one, Frank?”

“Yes, I thought it would be a nice celebration.”

“Very nice,” Said Louise. “Anyone else here yet?”

“We saw Jesi yesterday. And she looks different. Wait till you see for yourself. You have to see it to believe it. She’s always late for everything, probably hasn’t changed. She brought that cheater boyfriend with her.”

“Oh, no. I thought they broke up. He came back for her money?”

“Who knows?” said JB with a shrug. Then he added, “My wife came with me. She’s going shopping this morning. Unfortunately she’s been here before and knows where to go to get knock-offs. She also knows where to get the real thing, so I put a limit on her. I had to say, ’Honey, keep track of how much you’re spending and when you reach the limit, quit and come back to the hotel.’ I hope she was listening.”

“Why don’t we go in and get coffee?” offered Louise.

“We’ve reserved a table and told them we’ll be in a long time. So they’re trying to get us a nice one where we won’t be in the traffic.”

At that moment the hostess came over and said, “If you’re ready, I’ll take you to your table.”

She stopped at a large round table with eight chairs. The table was set for eight, and a waiter was filling the water glasses. As they sat, a skinny man with a lot of shiny jewelry walked up, escorted by another hostess.

“Well, lookey here,” drawled Louise, smiling broadly so that her prominent cheekbones shone in the light.

JB and Frank grinned and welcomed Joe in the same exuberant manner as they did Louise. Southern charm oozed. Joe took a seat by JB and in a loud Arkansas accent greeted each of them and exchanged pleasantries. They all allowed the waiter to pour coffee and began to fix theirs.

“Do you have espresso or any extra strong coffee?” asked JB.

“No, we serve regular Columbian and decaf. That’s it.”

“I’ll settle for this. I usually get the strongest they have at Starbucks.”

Just then an extremely thin woman with bleached blond hair and dramatic make-up joined them. The fragrance of her cologne wafted all around the table. The men stood or at least half-stood while Joe pulled out the chair beside him.

“Paris, you made it. You look great. How do you feel?” said JB.

She sat in the chair offered her and beamed a big Southern smile, which made her tan skin wrinkle more than it should for someone her age. Her straight white teeth contrasted against the dark red lipstick. “Wonderful, like I just won the lottery,” she drawled slowly and dramatically. Her gold bracelets clanked together around her tiny wrist.

“Funny, I have the same feeling,” added Frank.

“Did your family come with you?” Louise asked Paris.

“Yes, my husband, my son and my step son. Do you know that even on a great vacation like this, and neither one of the boys has ever been in New York, they are spending all of their time fighting with each other? Both are sixteen years old, they could be checking out the girls, looking at the sights, but they want to bellyache and fight constantly. We’ve been here two days already. Thank God, I can have this time to myself and do not have to listen to that. My husband is going out with them today.” She rolled her eyes and made gestures throughout for emphasis.

She tossed her hair and looked around. “Is this a smoking area?”

JB assured her, “I insisted that we have a smoking table. That’s why we’re way over on this side of that divider.”

“I just didn’t see anyone else smoking or any ashtrays on the table.”

Caitlin, Nellie, and Jesi walked across the room, while JB and Paris motioned for ashtrays. Nellie wore tailor-made brown slacks and a nice jacket, a khaki and black blouse, and low-heeled shoes. Caitlin wore pants too tight and a low cut sweater like the younger generation and sported a new hair style. Both carried Kate Spade handbags.

Before they got far, Jesi rushed ahead of the other two, stealing the scene. As usual, she wore a mini skirt showing off her long thin legs, stiletto heels, and a very low cut top with capped sleeves. Her long black hair hung straight. But the new dramatic touches were the color of her skin and the size of her chest. She’d obviously been at the tanning booth a lot in the last two months for her skin now had a smooth orange hue, a deep, dark hue. And her bosom was much more than any Wonderbra could manage.

The men half-stood for the ladies. Jesi hugged Paris and took a seat beside her. Nellie took the chair on Louise’s left, Caitlin on her right. Greetings immediately were exchanged all around the table.

“Would you like to sit together?” Louise inquired, looking back and forth between mother and daughter.

“Oh, no. We see each other all the time.” Caitlin put down her purse. With a soft, enthusiastic voice and a big grin, she said, “Well, how is everybody? Looks like we’re all here. What’s everybody been doing?”

“Taking it easy,” said Joe. “Well, sort of. I paid off all my bills, started some renovations on my mother’s house, made some investments, did some shopping.”

“I guess eveybody’severybody’s been shopping.” Caitlin was always smiling and happy and friendly. “What else?”

They all spoke at once, about cars, housing, planning trips, family, and family members. After a few minutes of cacophony, and people wincing as they tried to hear a particular voice over the one closest. Finally, Caitlin raised both hands and smiled as she took command.

“Whoa. I want to hear everything. Why don’t we go around the table so we don’t have to keep repeating ourselves? This is exciting stuff. A lot has happened to us since we turned in that winning ticket. I want to hear what everyone has been doing.”

“You know that is so true,” said Paris. “Everything has changed because we won. That promise to get together was just a dream, a fantasy when we were poor. Who’d have thought we would really be able to fly to different cities and have breakfast together?”

“And it’s not just about blowing money, or trying to be jetsetters. I think it’s a good way for us to keep in touch, to see what roads our lives are taking. Maybe we can help each other out, you know stay grounded. So why don’t we start by telling what kind of vehicle everyone got?” Caitlin was anxious to start sharing.

“Good idea,” said Louise. “We started out as working stiffs driving wrecks, in my case, or moderate vehicles. What we’re driving today is a fine place to start.”

JB started. “I got a Mercedes sedan, my wife got a Jag. And you know what the insurance cost on that.”

Everyone nodded, and murmured. A couple laughed out loud. Then he added, “I had to get my kids cars. But I got Hyundai’s for my son and my daughter. My parents wanted a pick up truck, so I got them a truck. I told them this is early Christmas. Don’t any of you get used to this.”

Joe went next. “I bought a vette. Nice. The women like that. And I got a new Lincoln for my mom. I promised my 14 year old daughter that if she brought her grades up to A’s and B’s only, she’d get a new car for her 16th, but not a real expensive one.”

Caitlin added, “Yeah, you can’t spoil your kids and give them the wrong values.”

Paris said, “Well, I guess I’m next. You can tell I’m married. We got an SUV and a pick up truck. We told the boys they have to make some big changes before they get anything.”

Jesi leaned back in her chair casually, “I bought a silver Mercedes convertible, and Chris got a gold colored Ferrari.”

“Chris is your boyfriend?” asked Louise.

“Yeah, I know you told me not to get back with him. But he’s changed. He’s ready to settle down now.”

Most of them said nothing and made no faces. Louise just smiled and nodded.

“How about you, Frank?” asked Caitlin, anxious to get the subject off Jesi’s love life.

“I don’t have my license back yet. But I bought my daughter a new Chevy. She picked it out. I’m catching cabs instead of begging friends and co-workers. I’ve treated myself to a limo a few times when I knew I might need some assistance. You know, what I mean?”

“Well, I got myself a beautiful Cadillac,” said Nellie. She raised her shoulders demurely. “Very conservative, but sturdy. And I insured it to the hilt, because I’m old and my eyesight is going. And I bought one just like it for my mother and aunt to share.”

Louise knew it was her turn. “I got my parents a new pick up truck and a new Cadillac sedan in a dark color. I got my two brothers each a pick up truck and my sister a Jeep. She’s always wanted one and she was crazy about it.”

“What did you get yourself?” asked Caitlin, clearly becoming the moderator.

“A used pick up truck.” Looking around at their bemused faces, she added before anyone could question her, “It was a really good deal, low price, one year old, low mileage, great shape. Automatic. I can run my errands now and even haul a few things.”

JB asked, “What do you have to haul, Mrs. Brickey? You should get yourself a nice car.”

“I’m not ready to commit. Taking care of the family was very satisfying. What about you, Caitlin?”

“We got an SUV, a big one. And George is looking at sports cars. He hasn’t picked out one yet. We’re trying not to let this rush to our heads and do stupid things. My mommy took care of herself as you just heard,” her eyebrows raised jokingly, “and I’m not sure what, if anything I’ll do for my dad or my brother. We got George’s brother a new pick up truck. That’s what he likes.”

Joe spoke up, suddenly very animated. “I’m going to do what I want. I’ve worked hard all my life. I’ve been in debt over my ears. My mom’s been in debt. My little girl has lived with her mother, and I’ve never been able to do for her like I wanted. So now, I’ve had some good luck and I’m going to enjoy it. I’m not going to feel guilty about it. For however long it lasts, I’m going to live the high life. I know I’m not lucky enough to have it last forever.”

In the ensuing dumbfounded silence, Louise spoke softly in contrast to Joe’s volume. “Who would have dreamed that everyday working people like us, blowing money that most of us needed for other things on lottery tickets, and sitting around fantasizing about winning, would actually buy the winning ticket? And that only two months after our lawyer gave us each our share that we would be here in the Big Apple in a restaurant couldn’t afford before, talking about our new vehicles?”

They all looked deep in thought, all smiling, when the waiters finally came to take their orders and refill the coffee cups and water glasses. After they walked away, Louise looked over at Jesi with as motherly a smile as she could muster. “Jesi, do you have any developments you’d like to share with us?” she asked, raising her eyebrows at the end.

“I was wondering when someone would say something. I got a boob job.”

“Very impressive,” said Frank. “I’ve been admiring it.

Joe lifted his coffee cup to her. “Who says money can’t buy happiness?”

Nellie was polite, “Looks very natural. How do they feel?”

“Want to touch them?” offered Jesi.

“I do, ” volunteered Frank.

“I’m up for it,” grinned Joe.

“No, I meant Nellie. Not you pigs.”

“Honey, there are some places I just don’t go with another woman. No thanks.”

Paris, who had only been laughing and nodding, said with a clenched face, “I would kind of like to, but I’d feel too dirty. My curiosity is not strong enough to overcome that awkwardness.”

Nellie jumped back in, “I really meant how do they feel to you as you walk around, not how they are to the touch. Are they heavier than what you’re used to? Is it like having a stuffed knapsack hanging from your shoulders? Are you aware of them a lot, or just when people stare? Are you comfortable with them? Are you surprised in the shower that there’s more to wash now? Do you wake up in the middle of the night feeling like some foreign object, like a blanket or pillow, has gotten in your way?”

“I really don’t think about them all the time any more. It’s taking a while, but I’m getting used to them. I like the way I look in the mirror better. I feel more confident.”

“So you’re saying you’re happy. No regrets,” Louise asked her.

“I guess I’m happy. I definitely have no regrets. Yet. And Chris really likes them.”

“You’re not saying it was his idea, are you?” asked Caitlin.

“No, it was my idea. I’ve thought about it a long time. So I did it. He said he was happy the way I was, but that he’d be supportive of what I want. But he likes really likes the way things turned out.”

“Don’t go there, too much information.” Nellie looked away.

All of the men were looking guilty and grinning, trying not to stare any more. The free pass for gawking was over.

Looking around, Caitlin looked at Louise who nodded at her. So Caitlin spoke up again, “Who else? Anyone else do plastic surgery?”

They all giggled and shook their heads, and joked about their noses, or their paunches, or double chins. Jesi fantasized about butt implants, and Caitlin offered to give her some of her own rear fat.

“So who’s looking into real estate?” Caitlin asked.

JB said, “I paid off my mortgage. But we’re remodeling my basement for my parents to move in with us. We’ve talked about buying some investment property, but haven’t done anything.”

Frank said, “That’s great that you’re looking out for your parents. And they can watch your house when you take vacation. I’m still in the same apartment, but I’ve got someone to sublease it starting the first of next month. I’m buying two townhouses, one for me and one to rent out but not next to me. That would be a nuisance. When I get my license back next year, I’ll get a house further out in a nice neighborhood.”

Nellie said, “I paid off my mortgage on the house I’m in now. But I’m thinking about moving back to Ohio and getting a big house for me, my mom, and my aunt, and a full-time nurse. I know that’s coming.”

“And rooms for the children and the grandchildren to visit, right?” Caitlin said with a sideways grin.

“Of course. And a big den. But I have to have my own private bathroom. And so does the nurse. She won’t want to share with babies and old people. And I might want to do some entertaining of my own some day.”

“Maybe you’ll hire a male nurse,” Louise offered with a pretend innocent face. “Maybe he’ll take care of more than just your elderly patients.”

“Oh, good idea. A healthy, cute, young male nurse.”

“Think of the fun you could have conducting interviews,” said Frank.

Nellie’s jaw fell open in fake excitement.

“Okay, so who else?” demanded Caitlin.

Joe said, “My turn. I made an offer on a house at a big lake resort as an investment. They rent out pretty well all summer long. A real estate firm oversees the renters and the routine upkeep, trash pick up, and so forth. I have to handle all major repairs. In a good year, the rent covers all the expenses including mortgage payments and I’ll get a couple of weeks for myself. Of course, I’m going to pay a big cash deposit and keep a separate checking account to deposit rent and make payments.”

“I’ve made an offer on a house for my mother. It’s modest but it’s a step up for her. Low maintenance, fairly new, nice neighborhood. That’s still in-progress. She knows she’s getting a new house and that I’ll furnish it for her. I’ll pay all the insurance and taxes. She can’t wait.”

“I’m still looking for myself. I can’t make up my mind. A pool would be nice, but that’s a lot of work and I don’t want to blow money on a pool boy. I’m not even going to cut the grass. I’m gonna pay someone else to do it, but I don’t want to add to my expenses. It would nice to get a low-maintenance lot, you know, natural looking areas. I want this to last as long as possible. That lawyer we hired gave us some good advice about being cautious and not putting all our investments in one place and sticking to a budget.”

Louise was the first to say it. “I thought you were going to live it up and live hard because your luck won’t last.”

He nodded his head, and then tilted it to one side. As he shook his silver bracelet down his wrist, he said, “I know. I go back and forth. I feel wild and crazy, and then the reasonable guy takes over. I don’t know whether my devil or my angel will win.”

Jesi leaned forward, putting down her coffee cup. “Chris and I want a big house where we can have kids or maybe not. We’re in no rush to decide. We want some big party rooms. And a spa. Then my mom could quit her job and come live with me in her own apartment in our house. She’d still use the rest of the house, but would have her own private quarters. We’ll probably build. So for now we’re renting a new house with a three car garage. Mom will probably move in there at the end of her lease. I’m still picking out curtains and new furniture for the rental. I haven’t gotten much done yet, because I had to take some time off just for healing you know.” She motioned towards her chest as she mentioned healing.

Paris started to speak when the waiters arrived with huge trays of food. The plates were set, and coffee was refilled again. Everyone looked at everyone else’s plate before attacking his or her own. Louise unfolded her napkin and put it in her lap as did Paris. Nellie and Caitlin eventually picked up the folded napkins to dab their fingers on them and place them still folded in their laps. All the other napkins remained untouched. Jelly was passed. Sugar and sweeteners exchanged, salt and pepper circulated the table. Quiet enveloped them, except for the occasional clang of silverware.

Jesi noticed a new ring on Paris’ hand, and she revealed that it wasn’t new, but one she’d had since her high school graduation. Frank commented on his gravy. It reminded him of his grandmother’s. No one had ever cooked gravy as well as she did.

Then Paris spoke up. “Getting back to the real estate, Randall and I have found two houses we like. One is huge and the bedrooms are spread out. There are two at opposite ends about the same size. We thought this would be perfect for our sons. And neither one is easy to sneak out of. The screens are firmly attached to the windows. And, there are no nearby doors. The master bedroom has a Jacuzzi in the garden tub which would be great for my joints. We don’t like some of the paint and the carpet, but we can redecorate. We made an offer on that one. The kitchen is very modern. The garage has a half bath. There’s a big deck out back, so Randall can do his barbecues. We haven’t heard back yet. We’re considering making an offer on the second one as an investment. But we don’t know yet. The economy is not improving, and houses are not as profitable any more. But at least you get something concrete, unlike the stock market.” She took a bite of toast daintily.

Louise turned to Caitlin, “What about you?”

“We haven’t decided yet. We might go back to Hilton Head. We liked it there. Or we might go to Charlottesville. George still has some buddies there. And there are some great private schools. So we haven’t picked out anything. But we have picked out a house at Virginia Beach to rent out. We haven’t made an offer yet. What are you doing?”

Joe drawled across the table, “Yeah, Ms Louise. What are you doing about property?” His thin wrists were on the table edge, a buttered muffin in his left hand as he tilted his chin upward in her direction.

She put down her eggs, then said, “First, I’m improving my parents’ house. That’s 25% mine someday. The front patio is very large and coming apart. The slates and cement are coming loose. That’ll be about $35000. And the entire interior needs paint, and new carpet. Only one floor is carpeted. But the family room downstairs has a rock fireplace and wood paneling, you know right out of the sixties. They like the paneling, but the ceiling and the track lighting have gotta go. Replacing the fireplace is probably too much. It’s a nice neighborhood, a nice size yard. It’s just routine maintenance that’s built up. And they paid it off the first year. That’s the best part. They’re secure; why shouldn’t I just maintain it?”

“And I have a retired uncle whose house needs maintenance, too. He lives in another town. I wouldn’t get any return out of that, nor would my brothers or sister. But he’s my uncle and he wants to be proud of his house. He can’t physically do some of this stuff; and on a fixed income, he can’t afford the supplies. So I’ll help him out a little. Some paint, some wood trim, some landscaping. Maybe a new back porch. He might have done that already, I don’t know. I’m not ready to rush into things for myself. I can’t decide what style house I want. Or where.”

Jesi interjected, “Have you been listening to everybody? We’re all looking out for our families. Nobody is being selfish with their money. I think that’s amazing.” Her voice squealed a bit, and she looked very pleased with herself. They all were quiet. They enjoyed taking swipes at her. She practically invited people to talk about her. But she worked so hard to fit in, to point out their common bonds. And she was positive and upbeat. If what she said was true, why did she irritate so many people?

Caitlin commented on the ‘yummy’ French toast and then continued monitoring. “Well, we’ve covered real estate, autos, and plastic surgery. What else? How are you spending your time and your new money?” Caitlin was always sweet, soft-spoken, and likeable, and usually diplomatic.

Joe drawled over to her, “Well, what have you been doing”

Her face beamed. “Besides taking care of babies, shopping for real estate, and talking to lawyers, realtors, and accountants? Well, we paid off all our debts which were pretty big: a failed business, college loans, and hospital bills for birthing children. We’ve been kind of conservative so far, budgeting ourselves, and planning for the future. I did hire a housekeeper. What a relief! I did go shopping to get clothes for this trip, for all four of us. And we needed decent luggage. Before this, I have never spent so much money. But we made sure we had some CD’s and T-bills first. We’ve talked to a financial planner, but we disagree about how much risk we want to take.”

Paris spoke up. “You know I have the same problem. I figure I want to be safe, but my husband has a greedy side. He wants to make more money. For the boys and our future grandchildren. We’ve been a little reckless, going out to eat a lot, or doing take-out. And I’ve had some spa treatments. We’ve been conservative in the shopping department so far. The boys have long lists, though, of games and electronics. How did we develop such greedy, self-indulgent little monsters?”

Jesi had been quiet too long. “I don’t have kids yet to worry about. But I have been shopping. So has Chris. I got some nice jewelry and some really expensive shoes. We both have had massages. And we’re planning a trip right after this. We leave for Bermuda in two days. We’ve been shopping here for things to take with us. Anything we don’t want to haul along, we’re shipping back to Virginia.”

Louise looked directly at Jesi. “Excuse me for butting into something that’s not my business, but you probably need to see a lawyer privately to discuss palimony, or pre-nups, or whatever applies. It might already be too late to protect yourself. But Chris might be willing to sign as long as you promise not to put him out on the streets. Make sure that all your holdings aren’t joint accounts. And ask the lawyer about credit cards, stuff like that, just to be on the safe side.”

“That’s probably a good idea. But now that we aren’t working, it’s hard to do anything secretly. It’s too easy to keep tabs on each other.”

“That can be good, if you don’t trust someone. Well, just find a way to tell him you have questions that only an attorney can answer and you’d feel more comfortable if no one else went with you. You can discuss wills, living wills, things like that at the same time. The lawyer may prefer to see you about a will without the heirs being present.”

“I guess.”

“And you guys, Joe and Frank, the same thing when you get involved with someone. Don’t get taken. Someone may not start out greedy, but when there’s a nasty breakup, tempers fly, and people want to hurt each other.”

“Got it.” Joe nodded his head.

Frank added, “That’s the smart thing to do, because we see news stories all the time about people who’ve fooled other people who knew them really well. A guy is a bigamist for 18 years, or a gentleman that everyone loves is really after a lonely woman’s fortune.”

Caitlin turned to the men for variety. “How have you been spending your time, JB?”

“Seeing a lawyer to rewrite my will, talking to financial planners, bankers, accountants. My wife has been surfing the internet and looking at catalogs. She’s got a list of things to do. Of course, she quit her job when I quit mine. Our house is being redecorated. And it’s only two years old, but you know women. Let’s see. . . We both joined a gym. And I’ve been to visit relatives. We’re planning a trip to Viet Nam and a few other Oriental destinations. Whatever’s safe to tour. I don’t like to go shopping, and I don’t really need anything. I do like to go out for dinner once in a while. While we’re here, we’ll take in a few shows.”

“Very nice. Okay, Frank. Your turn.”

“Thank you, Caitlin. I feel like I’m onstage, and the emcee just introduced me.” They all laughed. “Or maybe it’s more like a counseling session and the shrink just turned it over to me.”

They smiled and shook their heads. More than one of them thought, “Like an alcohol recovery group, huh, Frank.”

He took a deep breath. “Aside from not working, I haven’t really changed. I sleep as late as I want, go to bed as late as I want. I watch a lot of TV. I did buy a computer and printer. And I stocked a liquor cabinet. When I move, then I’ll do some shopping. I gave some cash to my daughter who has probably blown every cent of it by now. I go out at night. I pay better tips than I used to.”

Joe spoke up. “I don’t think I’ve changed much either. I’m not working, I like that. Bill collectors don’t call me anymore. I really like that. Being free from the stress is my biggest change. I’ve got a lot of plans for spending more time with my daughter.” He nodded his head as he counted off each item he listed for them.

“I have a housekeeper and I got one for my Mom. You’d think she’d be a little nicer now that I’ve made her life a little easier. But, no, she still nags and whines.” He paused for a big sigh. “She still wants to tell me how to live my life. She’s not happy unless she’s complaining or fussing at someone. And I did quite a bit of shopping for her, but I only gave her just a little cash.”

Louise asked, “Did you already have that nice watch?”

oe started smiling again. “Yes, I bought that with my sales bonus check before the big win. I bought this little bling with another bonus check,” he said as he fingered a long shining, silver chain around his neck. “Someone mentioned massages earlier. I might go to one of those this week. And I’m gonna look for some nice New York women.”

“Just be careful, Joe,” said Frank. “If she’s real friendly and easy to meet, she’s probably not the kind to take home with you. You could be fleeced easily. With all that bling bling and your accent, you’re a target!”

JB added, “Don’t plan on drinking with strangers, or if you do, just carry your bank card, not a wad of cash. And make sure you still have your card when you get home.”

Joe nodded his head, “I’ll be careful.”

Caitlin took the reins again, “Mom, what about you?”

“I’m too old to go out with him.”

Everyone burst out laughing. JB had to grab his lips to keep from spitting coffee.

“No, tell everyone what you’ve been doing.”

“I still like to do needlepoint. But I’ve been to visit my mother. I’ve driven around with realtors. I went to visit my friends in Assoteague and in Hilton Head. They just think I’m between jobs. I’ve spent as much time as possible with these babies. And I have shopped until I dropped. Well almost. These will be the best dressed kids on the east coast. I’ve bought new clothes everywhere, new shoes. I’m not really into jewelry. I have new glasses. I’ve made a lot of doctor appointments because I can afford them now. I’ve listened to people talk about investments until I thought I would fall asleep and never wake up. And I put some nice color on my hair. Even my roots look good. And the nice facials. Don’t I look younger? How come no one’s told me I look younger?”

JB came to the rescue, “We’ve been remiss. With so much to talk about, we just didn’t say it. But everyone was thinking how young Nellie looks.”

Louise helped, “We were saving the most dramatic and best for last. You look fabulous, darling.”

“You’re the hottest young chic I’ve seen in ages,” said Frank, winking at her.

Jesi, Joe, and Paris, and even Caitlin commented on her radiance with enthusiasm.

“I knew it had to be something. I was just sitting here thinking, ‘When will they say something? I didn’t waste all those big dollars, did I?’”

Frank added, “Honey, you were always beautiful. Now you’re just a little more sparkly.”

Nellie knew not one of them was sincere, but it still was nice to hear the comments.

“Louise, we’ve heard from everyone but you.” Caitlin looked around to make sure she hadn’t missed anyone.

“I’m boring. I’ve been through what you all have: realtors, bankers, lawyers, auto sales. I’m over the hill like Nellie, so. . .”

Nellie interrupted, “Over the hill? Moi?”

Amidst the laughter, “You’re a year older than me. Yes, toi.”

Then she continued, ‘I went to a few doctors, too. I hired a once a week housekeeper for my parents, a nurse for my mother 3hours a day, 3 days a week. I set up a business with my lawyer, to be open for anything: investments, property management, whatever. I don’t really have a business except my personal and family affairs. But I can make investments or buy some rental property or land for my business. This way I can have a payroll with benefits.”

They were looking quizzically at her. She paused, thinking they’d be bored.

“What do you need with a payroll?” Joe asked.

“Housekeepers, nurses, groundskeepers. Family members who don’t have benefits. I’ve got some self-employed and some underpaid relatives with no medical insurance. If they get cancer or something disastrous, it could wipe them out, and me, too, if I try to help.”

Their heads went up with understanding. Some nodded.

“ I have different classes of employees. The nurse and the housekeeper are part-time but are still a business expense. I might get some tax benefit out of it to offset the expense a smidgeon. They get standard wages, but this way, they pay social security and taxes, and are eligible for government benefits, like unemployment and disability. My part-time employees can buy life and health insurance at very low rates through this business. When I have full-time employees, they’ll pay little to nothing for insurance. They all will get Christmas bonuses, regular reviews, and raises once a year. I want to work on a retirement plan eventually.”

They were either very interested or faking it quite nicely, so she continued.

“It costs me more now, and they get a little less net. If they worked as individual contractors, they could take the pay under the table and not pay for benefits. But I’ve seen too many people who got hurt on the job or the business closed. They need the protection, and so do I, as an employer.”

“You know insurance benefits are going down. They pay less for prescriptions, have bigger deductibles, lower set fees, shorter limits for hospital stays. But medical expenses keep going up. So if people in the lower wage brackets, like I was, like we were,” she gestured all around, “are in a jam, they might not see a doctor when they need to, or can’t refill their medicines. I’ve done that, gone for weeks without something, until I had enough money in the account to buy a refill. Employers can’t afford to keep carrying insurance, or they’ve raised the amount that employees have to pay. If your company does a wage freeze one year, and the insurance cost goes up, you’ve just taken a cut in pay and at the same time pay more for gas and groceries. I know, you probably got tired of hearing me complaining before about having less and less money to spend, and more and more bills, and getting behind with nothing to show for it. Well, now I can afford to help out other people, so that they can get by a little easier than I did.” She paused.

“Besides the people that I’ve hired, I’ll have ‘staff’ employees who have loose job descriptions and get next to nothing in wages. But they get their insurance paid in full, complete medical and dental and vision, and $15 thousand in life--you know what funerals cost these days. So with the medical, they have average co-pays and a good prescription plan. I even listed myself as an employee, so that I’m covered, too. You know I’m a walking train wreck. Now I don’t have to be concerned about my brothers, my sister, or my nieces. I’ve included my parents; even though they have life insurance, it’s not enough. And they have Medicare, so their plans work with it. I even included my ex-husband. All I have to pay them is $10 a month, more if they actually do something. They all have to report in once a month, except for the ones doing manual labor, who are ‘reporting’ every time they go to work.”

“Wow, a good plan. And you’re looking out for your family and your taxes at the same time,” JB approved. “And it’s very generous of you. But like you said, if one of them has cancer or a major surgery, you’re gonna want to help anyway.”

“Great plan, Louise,” beamed Caitlin. “IF George starts up a new business, we’ll have to do that.”

“So I’ve been busy working. No shopping or self-indulgence yet. It’s a little hard keeping sales people at bay, and letting my relatives understand why I’m not giving them all large sums of money. People I haven’t seen in years are ‘dropping by’ to see me.”

“Tell me about it,” said Caitlin.

“Me, too,” said Frank, shaking his head. “As long as no woman shows up claiming her child is mine, I can handle it.”

They all laughed.

“We all have that problem,” said JB. “No, not the baby problem. The unsolicited sales and investment brokers.”

“ My parents had to change the number they’ve had for over 40 years to an unlisted one,” added Louise. “Charities, too, can be so relentless. I tithed through my church, and I’ll probably do more, but just let me have some time to get used to this, to make sure I’m not vulnerable. I really want to be responsible and do the right thing. And I do want to let my hair down and enjoy it eventually.”

Nodding towards the other side of the table, “Like Joe, I’ve worked hard all my life. Most of the time, I held two jobs at once. I worked 70 hours a week for two periods of time. What did I have to show for it? Just a lot of debts and bad health. So I don’t want to risk losing this. I’d like to think that if I take care of the people who matter to me that they would take care of me if I do lose it all.”

They were all somber, thinking of their own futures, and how far they had come in two months.

“How different life is with a little money,” said Joe.

“When you’re poor, you think all your problems would go away if you just had money. You get some money, a lot of money, and you realize you traded your old problems in for a whole new set of problems,” Paris said as she stared into space.

Joe gave his head a quick shake, “Sometimes you keep some of the old problems. Money doesn’t get rid of all of them.”

“Somehow, I always pictured the rich life as being more glamorous. Maybe you need to be super rich to be glamorous.” Caitlin was shaking her head and scrunching her face.

“Maybe you have to born super rich, or at least have a decade or two to grow into it, before you get any glitz or glamour. But most rich people, the non-Hollywood types, are probably working hard to maintain it and only have moments of glamour. We’re just getting started and still have work to do. We might have glamour eventually.” JB held his cup up for the waitress to see.

"I’m a little concerned for all of us. I know we’re probably all debt free right now. But will we stay that way? We only get yearly installments. We have to make sure we only keep out what we need to live, or invest so that we can live on the interest. And that’s hard work. We’ve been talking real estate and building and a shaky stock market in unstable times. I don’t want to see anyone over-commit and end up in the hole.”

“I think that’s why I haven’t spent much,” said Frank. I’m not used to it. I like being able to pay my bills, but I don’t want to go overboard. I’m not charging anything.”

Caitlin added, “And you know our lawyer advised us not to quit our jobs for as long as possible so that we wouldn’t get bored and spend too much. But we all quit.”

“But we had such lousy jobs,” Louise said in defense. “We were either peons or were in sales which are so up and down in any economy. We had no sense of satisfaction or making a contribution. We were chewed out constantly. The rules changed before you could get used to them. We were never rewarded for extra effort or creativity. You couldn’t maintain your self worth in that atmosphere. So it makes sense we all quit. Some of us quit immediately, some gave a short notice, and some the full two weeks. I did the two weeks, and it was rough because they were upset about the first ones to go and took it out on us. They couldn’t fire us, though, because they were too short-handed to let us go. At least now, we’re working for ourselves. But you’re right. The boredom is going to set in after we get used to this, and are somewhat settled.”

“I enjoyed the people,” Joe calmly stated. “But it did feel like it was an uphill battle. No matter how hard you worked, no matter how many sales you brought in, it was never enough. Maybe after I get the investing and the real estate settled, I’ll start my own business.”

“After my kids are in nursery school, I’d like to do charity work.” Caitlin continued,

“You know a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter. Or a shelter for battered women. I would like that. It would keep me busy.”

“Back in the fantasy stage, I pictured hanging out by the pool all day,” cooed Paris, dabbing the corners of her mouth with a napkin.

“Yeah, me too,” said Jesi. “Parties a couple of times a week. But we haven’t been to a pool once. Or a party. But I’m gonna have to remember once we’re in our house, and we have our own pool, that we can’t allow bums to hang out all day everyday. Chris has a lot of friends who probably would. And eat and drink everything in the house. If we both work, or have an office in the house, that will help fight temptation.”

“Maybe it’s a good thing we meet like this.” Caitlin usually looked for the silver lining in every cloud. “Not just to show off. Not just because we can. But we can help each other. You know, keep each other from going off the track.”

No one noticed as Paris grimaced with pain when she shifted in her chair after sitting so long. No one paid attention as Louise slipped two pills out of her purse to take with her water, or as Nellie squinted and cleaned her eyeglasses for the third time, or as Joe looked at his blackberry constantly for messages.

They continued chatting about small stuff and fantasies and set the date and place for next month. They decided on London and everyone got updated phone numbers and email addresses. Caitlin would work with her travel agent to pick out a good restaurant and contact everyone as soon as possible to make travel arrangements. Then they rose and hugged and went their separate ways to experience the Big Apple.

© Copyright 2009 Pumpkin (heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513696-The-Millionaires-Club-First-Meeting