*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515155-Deyna-Lorne-Awakened-Powers
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1515155
The first four chapters of my adventure story. Reviews wanted!
Please bear in mind that this is a work in progress and more detail will be added later on.

Prologue

The world Of Cryslarr was once a beautiful place where none knew war or hunger. Then came the dark mist. It spread over the world, blocking out light and bringing with it monsters who knew no mercy. The rulers of the cities of Cryslarr decided to save seven cities where all could live in safety. The Sanauriuns, the winged people of the sky decided to go their own way and used their knowledge of the air to make the city of Lanar float high above the mist. The other six cities had a magic barrier cast over them by the High Mages, people who had the gift of magic. The six cities were then each given a High Mage to protect them. The world has been this way for as long as anyone can remember and the dark mist still lurks outside the safe cities. The people within these barriers live in fear and can only hope that one day they will be free.

Chapter 1 The Way It Is

“Stop thief” the guards voices rang out as they chased after the young boy. The boy laughed to himself, there was no way they could catch him. He led them on a chase through alleyways, through crowded streets and even through buildings but never losing them.
“Stick to the plan” he kept telling himself as he let them get a little closer to him. The boy led them into a deserted alleyway cut off from the streets. He stopped and lent against a wall panting, looking like he had finally given up. The guards surrounded him. One of them stepped forward, a captain.
“That’s as far as you go boy.” The guards started smiling as they all pulled out their swords. “We have a way of dealing with thieves around here” the captain said. However the boy didn’t react he just grinned to himself.
“On the contrary” the boy said “I have a way of dealing with guards like you.” He raised his hand to the sky and an arrow shot down from one of the rooftops and into the arm of the captain. The captain screamed in agony and the guards surrounded him instead of the boy.
“Guards ha! You couldn't’t even spot a simple ambush?” said the boy, smiling. “My name is Deyna Lorne and I am a master thief. The rooftops around you are filled with archers and they never miss. Leave your weapons and any Lyan you are carrying and I’ll let you leave with your lives.” Deyna raised his hand again and another arrow came flying towards the guards, this time landing in the wall next to the captain’s head.
Looking around for a way out and not finding any, the captain unwillingly gave the order.” Do it” the captain said and they all placed their weapons and wallets in front of Deyna. As they were leaving the captain couldn't’t resist a parting shot. “Don’t sleep easy boy one day I will have your head!”
“Deyna simply shrugged as he pulled out his own sword, a two bladed sword, silver with a green emerald set in the hilt. “Well why not now” he said going into a fighting stance.
“Because I’ll be fighting with an arrow shaft in my arm but when I’m healed I will find you.” When he made sure the alleyway was completely empty Deyna called out “all clear!” It was lucky that the guards were no longer there as instead of dozens of archers only one came down from the rooftops, or to be more precise flew down.
“You’re lucky that your plan worked next time think things through before you make me do anything like that again” the girl said. Deyna looked at her.
“Alana nice to see you too.” Alana was a Sanauriun, a person of the sky. Alana stood two heads taller than Deyna, with long white hair going passed her middle. She wore a simple red shirt and blue jeans. Her eyes were a bright shade of pink and her bare hands and feet had a mix of white and brown feathers just like her wings which were hanging from beneath her shoulders. Her preferred weapon, the bow, was hanging from her right wing. “You do realise that those guards now know what you look like and will try and capture you right?” Alana said.
Deyna looked at her. He had dark black long hair with light brown eyes. He too, wore simple clothes, a black shirt and jeans. His hands were gloved and Alana had never seen him with them off. “Oh please the day they catch me will be they day that you lose your wings. Besides look at what I got us today. There’s enough here to keep us alive for a few months.”
“I know that but the castle dungeon is no place for a thirteen year old to be locked up in. We need you Deyna you know that.” Alana said. Deyna looked at her and saw how worried he had made her. Alana was only fifteen and yet she needed to be older than what she was because all the people who knew her looked up to her for advice.
“Alana I’m sorry. You think I like living like this?” Alana shook her head. “Of course not but this is just the way things are.”
Deyna looked to the sky but instead of seeing a bright blue sky he could only see a grey smudgy blurriness, from the cities magic barrier.
“What is it?” Alana asked.
“You know, just once I’d like to see what the sky really looks like” said Deyna wistfully “Come on we’d better get this stuff back to the hideout.”

Chapter 2 Wanting To Be Free

Eldreysa is the second largest city in Cryslarr. It is split into four districts. North, where the city guards and their families live. East and south where the general population live and the busiest part of the city due to its markets and west, where the rich live and also where the royal castle is located. Deyna and Alana were currently heading to the eastern part of the city, to where they had made a hideout for themselves. Keeping clear of the main streets and sticking to side alleyways they managed to avoid being seen by the guards. When they got to their hideout they saw a boy waiting outside for them. The boy was a tall fourteen year old with short black spiky hair and had a muscled figure, carrying a long spear on his back. “Well it’s about time you guys showed up. What took you so long did Deyna run into a wall again?” he said laughing.
“You know that only happened once Markus, besides you’ve done worse Deyna said. “We had some trouble with the guards there were more than we thought.” Markus looked at Alana “So did it go alright?”
Deyna and Alana unloaded the sacks they were carrying to show him the weapons they had managed to get. Markus smiled “Great this is just what we needed. I’ll take them to Tomas the blacksmith right away.”
Deyna and Alana then went into their hideout. It was a small room, a basement under an abandoned building. There were three beds, a table scattered with parchment and a small fireplace set in one corner. Deyna sat on one of the beds and Alana stared into the fire lost in thought.
“Deyna” Alana asked “Those guards today, why didn’t you use your magic on them? Surely that would have been easier.” Deyna looked at her.
“I didn’t want to draw attention. You’ve heard about what’s happening.”
“You mean about the guards looking for anyone who can use magic right.
”Deyna nodded. “Yeah. I don’t know what their up to but it can’t be good. And if I got caught who would look after you guys” Deyna said.
“Oh so you do care about us after all” said Alana smiling.
“Maybe just a little, but don’t tell Markus or I wont hear the end of it!”
“Don’t worry your secrets safe with me.”
Just then Markus burst in through the door. “Hey look how much Lyan we got for those weapons!” he said, tipping a large amount of gold coins onto one of the beds. “You guys did great there’s enough here to keep us alive for weeks!”
“But it’s not all for us there are others who need some of this too” said Alana.
Deyna looked at her shocked. “But we worked so hard to get it!”
“And there are people out there who can’t get it so we have to help them!”
Markus could sense an argument brewing (and he remembered the last one which somehow ended up with himself and Deyna disguised as waiters and ruining a nobles tea party) so he interfered “Look Alana’s right, there’s more than enough to go around. We’ll split it in half, one for us and one for those who need it.”
“Fine but do it quickly” said Deyna bitterly.
“Oh yeah I almost forgot” said Markus “I heard that King Damos is coming back in three days time. Seems like he’s having a welcome parade through the southern market.”
Deyna stood up suddenly and started pacing up and down.
“What is it?” Alana asked warily.
“I think I’ve just thought of a way to make us all rich, yes it will take some planning though but I think we can pull it off” Deyna said to himself and then he walked out of the hideout.
“Uh-Oh” said Markus and Alana together.

Chapter 3 The King and his Crown

“You can’t be serious” said Alana, after Deyna had told her and Markus about his plan. They were in the hideout and it was the night before the king was due to return to Eldreysa.
“I am” said Deyna excitedly “Think about it. We steal the Kings crown and we hold it to ransom. You know about the gemstone in the middle, that’s got to be worth a lot.”
“I’m not saying it isn’t but it’s too risky” Alana said.
Markus was standing in front of the fire, staring into the flames lost in thought.
“Markus what do you think? Surely you agree with me right? It’s too dangerous!”
Markus came out of his reverie “Oh, um well its not that I don’t think it’s too dangerous but I agree with Alana. We shouldn’t do it.”
“But why not?! If you think it’s not that dangerous then why shouldn’t we do it” said Deyna.
“Because I heard stories from my parents. They were in the guard you know. They told me that the stone in the middle of the crown, the Drey Stone, has magical powers. They said that if you hold it when it isn’t set in the crown, it will kill you.”
“That’s a risk I’m willing to take” said Deyna. “besides we have magic on our side.”
Alana and Markus looked at him curiously.
“The plan I’ve got is foolproof” said Deyna. “Here’s what we’ll do. There will be crowds of people wanting to see the king so we won’t be noticed. The king will be in his carriage so the guards will be most focused on him. Myself and Alana will be on a rooftop overlooking the parade whilst Markus, will be in the crowd. Alana will use her bow to shoot through the ropes that the horses are attached to, making the carriage stop. When that happens, Markus will cause a commotion in the crowd, what that commotion is I’ll let you decide. Whilst the guards are trying to control the crowds Alana will fly me above the carriage and drop me on top of it. I’ll use my magic to get into the carriage and immobilise the king. Then I’ll grab his crown and run off into the crowds. I know it’s risky but I really think we can do this. I need both of you to help. Please” he said, holding his hand out to Markus and Alana.
“Well this is either the best idea you’ve ever had or the worst” said Markus standing up “but either way I’ll help you.” He took Deyna’s hand.
“Alana?” asked Deyna
“Are you really serious about this” she asked, getting to her feet.
“More than anything else I’ve ever done” Deyna said.
“Fine then I’ll help” and she too, took Deyna’s hand.
“Thank you, both of you. Get some rest, tomorrow is going to be a long day.”

Chapter 4 Three Thieves At Work

Hundreds of people were gathered in the southern market of Eldreysa, all wanting to see their king. There were two crowds on either side of the roadway where the king would soon be travelling down. The guards were alert for any signs of trouble as the thirteen Drey Knights were present.
The Drey knights were Eldreysa’s finest warriors, their combat abilities enhanced by magic. The captain of the Drey Knights, Forhayn, was known to be unmerciful in battle and it is believed by the people that none had ever beaten him in battle. The crowds were getting exited, the king was coming!
Archers surrounded the entire area on the rooftops, two to each; however one rooftop contained four people, two knocked out archers, Deyna and Alana. Deyna looked down at the crowd and smiled.
Markus was down there next to a large group of horses. When he saw Alana shoot through the ropes holding the king’s horses he would spook the horses and set them free, causing a suitable distraction. He would then blend into the crowd and get back to the hide-out and wait for his two friends to return with the crown.
The crowds started to cheer. The king’s parade had begun. Crowds of people waving the kings banner came into view, followed by the Drey knights and then the king’s carriage came into view. Up on the rooftop Deyna cursed under his breath.
“What is it Deyna?” asked Alana.
“I should have expected this. The Drey Knights are here.”
“So what should we do?”
“Stick to the plan and if it does go wrong we improvise.”
The carriage was about to get in range of Alana’s bow. Markus was waiting. Deyna was staring at the knights thinking. He could easily see the captain, he was wearing silver armour with gold streaks running through it and his hand rested on his blood red sword at his side. Deyna had heard of his fighting skills and wasn’t planning on fighting him.
“Deyna are you ready?” asked Alana, her bow aimed at the ropes ready to stop the carriage.
Deyna only whispered one word. “Fire.”
Alana fired her arrow at the ropes and it hit with amazing accuracy. The carriage stopped as the horses ran. The Drey knights all pulled out their weapons and ran to the king’s carriage to protect the King. They didn’t make it there however as around fifteen spooked horses ran across their path. The crowds parted as the people ran in all directions; everyone was trying to avoid the stampeding horses.
From the rooftops Deyna and Alana watched the chaos unfold. Deyna looked at the city guard and saw that most of them had run away from the crowds. Cowards, he thought. The remaining guards were trying to control the crowds but were failing. Deyna then saw the Drey Knights split up into the crowd to try and bring order and only Captain Forhayn was left next to the carriage.
“Alright its time. Fly me over the carriage and drop me on there, then get back to the hide-out. I’ll meet up with you later” said Deyna.
Alana picked him up and took to the skies. She couldn’t help thinking that something was going to go wrong but she was still going along. Why? They were now as close as they could get to the carriage without being spotted.
“I’ll drop you now Deyna! Good Luck!” said Alana.
Deyna landed on the carriage with the skill and grace of a master thief, he didn’t make any noise. He looked at the sky to see Alana flying away towards the east. Looking around he saw that no-one had noticed him. He lay down to avoid drawing attention to himself. Now came the hard part. He needed to be as fast as he could to make this work.
He took out his two bladed sword and using the magic inside of him he fused the two blades into one small dagger. He focused his magic into the blade and cut a very fine circle into the roof. Then he put his hands onto the circle he had cut and blasted it downwards into the carriage. Deyna quickly dived into the carriage and could just barely see the king through a thick cloud of dust. He could see the crown clearly; a strange glow was coming from it. Just as he reached out to grab it the carriage door opened, letting daylight in.
Standing there was the captain of the Drey Knights, Forhayn. Dressed in silver armour streaked with gold, with his long red hair streaking out behind him he looked at Deyna in surprise. Deyna wasted no time in using Forhayn’s confusion and grabbed the crown. Forhayn pulled out his sword, blood red in colour and sharp enough to cut through diamonds. But it was too late, the thief was gone.
Deyna held the crown tightly in his hands as he raced through the crowd. Weaving his way in and out of people he ran towards the hide-out, amazed that he actually pulled it off. Deyna looked behind him and saw that no-one was following him. He laughed to himself and kept running.
Then he felt something. A strange feeling like he was being pulled back. He looked around; the crowd seemed to be slowing down. Deyna stopped running and looked around. Was the air shimmering? Suddenly there was a blinding flash of light. When Deyna could see again, there was a blood red sword pointed right at him and he was surrounded by the Drey Knights.
“Well now don’t you know it’s not polite to steal?” said Forhayn.
Deyna tried to move but found that he couldn’t.
“What’s wrong, cant you move? Well that’s understandable. You see, High Mage Keias was keeping a watchful eye on the king and he has used his magic to immobilise you.”
Deyna looked around him, trying to think of a way out. He knew that Markus and Alana wouldn’t be there to help him. He also knew that no-one would come to help as the market was now deserted. There was only one thing for it.
He started to cast a spell in his mind to shatter the magic place on him. Deyna screamed in agony. It was like someone was trying to crush his head.
Forhayn lowered his sword and laughed. “Well it seems as if our long search is over.” He called the king “Your majesty it is safe. You can come out now.”
King Damos came out of the carriage. His once magnificent robes were now covered in dust and rips. Forhayn gave the crown back to the king.
“So you are a magic user then boy?” the king asked Deyna.
Deyna stayed silent, still trying to control the splitting headache he had from trying to use magic.
King Damos looked at Deyna. “Humph, silence will get you nowhere. Forhayn tell your knights to get this carriage moving again. Put the boy inside and keep an eye on him. I will have Keias warp me to the castle. Bring the boy there. There is much I want to know. The air around the king started to shimmer and then he vanished. Forhayn waved his arm at the Drey Knights and they went to find horses for the carriage.
Forhayn raised his sword again and pointed it at Deyna. “Get this carriage moving again. Put the boy inside and keep an eye on him.
Forhayn lowered his voice so that only Deyna could hear. “You embarrassed me today boy. I won’t forget that.”
Deyna looked at Forhayn with hate in his eyes. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll make sure you won’t!”
Forhayn raised his sword to strike Deyna “You dare talk to me in that manner! If it wasn’t for the fact that you have the magic gift I would kill you now but unfortunately that won’t happen!”
Forhayn sheathed his sword and took Deyna’s from him.
“Well you certainly have a nice weapon for a thief. Where did you get this?”
Deyna shouted at him “No-one but me touches that sword. Take your damn hands off it!”
“Ha! A boy like you doesn’t deserve to have a sword of this beauty. I grow tired of this conversation. And of you. The way I see it you didn’t want to come to the castle willingly so I had to use force.”
With that he smashed the hilt of Deyna’s sword hit right into the back of Deyna’s head. Deyna fell to the ground and all he could here was Forhayn’s laughter as darkness closed in around him.

Chapter 5 Where am I

Deyna awoke with a moan of pain; his head was throbbing where Forhayn had hit him. He slowly sat up and took a look around. To his surprise he wasn’t in a dungeon cell. He was in a nicely furnished room; there was a wooden desk and chair, windows which looked out over the city and even a comfortable bed which he was sitting on. He wasn’t even tied up.
Deyna explored the lump on his head, touching it he winced slightly. He stood up and went to the door. Testing it he found it was locked. Ha he thought, a door can’t keep me locked up. He started casting a fire spell but fell to the floor in agony, clearly he was still cursed.
Deyna crawled to the bed and lay back down. Where am I he thought. Why am I not in a dungeon, why am I still cursed and with a surge of hatred towards Forhayn he wondered where his sword was. His thoughts then turned to Alana and Markus, had they made it back okay and what they were doing now. Deyna’s head started aching even worse and he fell unconscious again.
Deyna stood at the edge of a cliff in a huge thunderstorm. He was holding his sword which was shining with a magical energy. He could see an army coming closer to him, running with all their weapons drawn shouting out war cries towards him.
Deyna smiled and swung his sword towards them. The army fell, every man killed. He looked at his sword and saw that there were six tiny jewels set into the hilt. He felt a surge of anger at everything around him, he needed one more.
The scene changed, he was now looking at Forhayn, or was it him? He looked different. Forhayn was saying something but it sounded muffled. The scene changed again, now he was in a huge city, filled with Sanauriuns. They all seemed to be heading in one direction. Deyna wanted to follow them but felt that he had more important business elsewhere.
There was a flash of light. Deyna could hear swords clashing and felt pain on his forehead and then a huge surge of magic flow through his body.
Deyna awoke with a gasp and saw five swords pointed at him.
“Get up the king wants to see you.”

Chapter 6 An Audience and a Chance

The guards escorted Deyna to the throne room. People pointed and whispered to each other as they passed. Deyna didn’t notice them, he was still thinking about the strange dream he had. What did it mean?
When they entered the throne room Deyna put the dream to the back of his mind. There were more important things to think about right now. There were three people in the throne room waiting for him. There was the king, wearing new robes and looking at Deyna with curiosity. There was Forhayn, who Deyna noticed with anger, had his two bladed sword in a sheath along with his usual blood red sword. But Deyna’s gaze was focused on the third person present.
The High Mage Keias. The master of Mind Magic. Standing tall with long blond hair, blue eyes and wearing the white robes streaked with light blue that marked him out as a High Mage, Deyna could feel an aura of power coming from him. Keias and Deyna’s eyes locked onto each other. Deyna looked away, afraid that Keias might be able to read his mind.
“So my boy, a daring attempt you made this morning to steal my crown” said King Damos. Deyna looked at him, the blank expression on his face betraying nothing.
“Yes very daring. Tell me, how on earth did you think you would get away with it?”
Deyna remained silent.
“Your majesty as you can see he clearly will not co-operate. Allow me to interrogate him. He will soon tell us what we want to know” said Forhayn.
Deyna glared at him. Never before had he felt this much hatred towards anyone. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a shadow move across one of the stained glass windows above Forhayn. There was only one person that could be.
“No that will not be necessary. This boy is clearly from the poorest area of Eldreysa. If he is smart he will tell us what we wish to know. Unless he wants to be responsible for the deaths of those he cares for. Forhayn, order the city guard to collect any owed lyan from the eastern part of the city. Kill any who refuse or cannot pay” said King Damos
Deyna looked at him in shock. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Deyna knew he had to speak. Even though he would never admit it he really did care about those he knew. Damos looked at him smiling. He knew that Deyna would talk.
“Fine. I’ll tell you what you want to know.”
“I knew you would see it my way. You can start by telling me about what you were after this morning when you attacked me” said Damos.
Deyna thought for a moment. He would have to be very careful of what he said as he didn’t want to put his friends in any danger.
“I was after your crown. If I had your crown I could have-“
“You could have used it to overthrow the king. Your majesty, why do you insist on listening to the words of a thief? We know that he has the magic gift. Let me kill him and end this!” said Forhayn.
Deyna’s mind started racing. Why would the king want him dead?
“Do not undermine my authority Forhayn. Right now he is more useful alive than dead. Still your tongue until I give you leave to use it. Now boy start again. Tell me what you wanted my crown for.”
“I could have sold it. The amount of lyan I would have got for it would have been enough to feed the slums for years. That’s all” said Deyna.
“I see. Then tell me, if you are so poor, where did you get such a magnificent sword?
Deyna looked at his sword, hanging at Forhayn’s side. The anger in his voice was easily heard as he replied “I don’t know where I got it from. I don’t remember much of my childhood. But it’s my only link to my past and now that coward is holding it. Give it back to me and let’s see if he will be able to beat me in an even fight!”
“No-one calls me a coward and lives. Die!”
Forhayn drew his sword and leapt at Deyna. Deyna closed his eyes and braced himself for the strike. But it didn’t come. He opened his eyes and saw Forhayn suspended in mid-air, frozen.
High Mage Keias stepped forward and spoke for the first time. “My apologies Forhayn, but this is not the time for him to die. I can sense great power within him. I have a request your majesty. I wish to see the boy’s combat skills. It is my request that he and Forhayn are to fight in the stadium.”
“Absolutely not! He may be a magic user but he is still just a child. Besides I don’t want any of this business to get out into the open!”
“With respect your majesty, I think that it is of vital importance that we see how powerful the boy is. So what do you say thief. Are you willing to fight?”
Deyna looked at Forhayn, then at the window behind the King. He knew that she would be listening. “I am willing to fight. But I want my sword.”
“And you Forhayn?” said Keias, unfreezing Forhayn and letting him drop to the floor.
Forhayn got up and locked eyes with Deyna. “Of course. What are the rules?”
“It will be a disabling match. The first to make their opponent unable to fight will be the winner. Of Course it will not be to the death. Well your majesty they have both accepted the duel.”
King Damos looked at Deyna and Forhayn. He sighed with resignation. “Fine. The boy will receive his sword when he enters the stadium. Until then Keias will take care of it. Guards escort the boy back to his room. He will remain there until tomorrow.”
Just as Deyna was being led out of the throne room, Keias called out a question.
“By the way, what is your name boy?”
Deyna turned around and looked at Forhayn. He wanted to make sure that Forhayn wouldn’t forget his name.
“Deyna Lorne”.
© Copyright 2009 Weaver Of Dreams (ant101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515155-Deyna-Lorne-Awakened-Powers