*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516578-Frozen-Heart-ch2Confused
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Dark · #1516578
vampire romance, second chapter
  I stood outside the office for a few minutes, waiting to see if the girl would come back out. When she didn't, and the bell rang, I had to hurry so I wouldn't be late for my Algebra II class.
  Can you imagine, I'll be four hundred years old in a few years, and I'm doing eleventh grade math. Of course, it's my fault, so I really shouldn't be complaining. I had the choice to go off on my own, or even to join a coven that didn't associate regularly with humans, and I decided to stick around humans.
  At first, it was because humans were familiar to me, I'd never been a vampire until I was seventeen, but the rest of those years, I had been human. Now though, I suppose I stay because humans are intersting. In their own way.
  The math teacher glanced at me as I slid into my seat, but she didn't say anything. Good, so I wasn't late again. I pulled out my math book and tried to listen to the teacher talking, but all I could see was that girl. Why was she comsuming my mind? I hadn't said one word to her (uh, isn't a word; it's a sound) and yet I could hardly concentrate on my math book. Not that I had ever been particularly good at that before.
  The class door opened and I instinctivly turned, then I wished I hadn't. She was standing there in the doorway, looking nervous and even paler than before. Who was she? I asked myself again. Oh shut up! I silently screamed. It doesn't matter who she is!
  She glanced at me for only a second, seemed to recognize and then she quickly looked down at the floor, avoiding my gaze. Or maybe she just didn't like the way I was looking at her. I'm sure it wasn't exactly normal to stare at someone you didn't know so intensly.
  She hurried to the front of the class and handed the teacher a piece of paper, whispering, "The guidance coucilor told me to have you sign this," No one else heard her, but I am a vampire, so I heard her very well.
  Mrs. Johanson - the teacher - nodded and looked back at the class, "Everyone, this is Erika Beur. She's just moved here from Florida. I want you to welcome her." she told us.
  The girl - Erika - blushed and hurried to the seat Mrs. Johanson assigned to her. I lost my breath for  a second when I realized she would be sitting right in front of me.
  As she sat down I leaned forward, "Hi," I whispered.
  She turned around, "Hi," she said, almost as quietly as she had back in front of the office. "I'm Erika." she said.
  I smiled, "I'm Ian," I told her. "It must be a change for you, moving from Florida to Maine."
  She laughed, "Yeah, just a little bit. I never knew a place could get so cold."
  "Just wait; this only the fall. It gets colder in the winter."
  She nodded, then turned back around. I frowned. I wanted to keep talking. But why did I want to keep talking?
  She was a human. I wasn't. And I whatever I was feeling wasn't love. Was it? No. I couldn't love someone so quickly. Love takes a long time to grow, and sometimes even then it doesn't work. You learn quickly in the vampire world that falling in love fast never works out. Ever.
  But I still wanted to talk to her. That wasn't a crime was it? No. And it most certainly didn't mean that I loved her. But the fact that all I could think about was her, that I saw her face when I closed my eyes, that did. Well, that didn't matter. I wasn't in love. No. Or was I? Oh, I was so damn confused I couldn't even think straight. What is wrong with me? I asked myself.
  I asked to go to the bathroom and hurried out when Mrs. Johanson said it was ok. I stared at myself in the mirror, wondering if I looked differnt than I had before. Nope. There were the same pair of dark blue eyes, the same slightly long, dark blonde hair. And the scar. It ran from my temple along my jaw. That was still there too.
  I didn't look any differnt. So why did I feel differnt? You're in love, idiot! A voice inside my head screamed. In love with a human! No. I was NOT in love. I was just disoriented and a little confused. But no way in hell was I in love. Right? Oh, dammit, I had no idea what I was talking about.
© Copyright 2009 Angel Styx (angel_of_stone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516578-Frozen-Heart-ch2Confused