*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516839-Lost-Love
by Trish
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1516839
Love should alway be two sided.
Lost Love

         



“Come back” Delia cried. “Please come back.” She stood on the street corner crying like a baby as she watched Gaylen drive away. She had been so sure he would never leave her, but now she was standing here alone and her whole world had come crashing down around her. Now she was all alone and she knew it was her fault.

         Gaylen had tried for months now to tell her how unhappy he was, but she had just glossed over it like it wasn’t important. She knew he had loved her since the fourth grade and she had gotten used to him following her around like a love sick puppy. She would give anything she had to have him look at her that way again.

         Delia wiped her eyes and headed for the house. Just a few hours ago she had been grieving over another man and now he was completely vanquished from her mind. Everyone says, you never know what you’ve got till it’s gone. She just never thought it would ever apply to her. She was used to always getting what she wanted. She just wished now that she had realized how much she wanted Gaylen, before he was gone.

         Delia had been the most popular girl in high school and Gaylen had been one of her many admirers. She never dated him in school, but every time she got her heart broken, he had been there to pick up the pieces.          Anytime she had needed a ride, or an escort to a boring event that the jocks she dated wouldn’t be caught dead at, she could always count on Gaylen to be there. He was there the first time she ever got stood up and was all dressed up for a dance with no escort. She didn’t realize how she had used him until he was gone.

         Gaylen had gone away to college, but he always kept in touch. Whenever he got home, he would always stop by to see how she was doing. He never forgot her birthday and always showed up at Christmas with a special gift. If she had bothered to pay attention, she would have realized how much thought had gone into each gift. Delia loved hanging out with him. He was like the big brother she never had.

         Delia had married Brad Johnson right out of high school. She had been homecoming queen, and he had been king. He was tall and blonde and was the school’s football hero. Delia was also blonde and had baby blue eyes. Everyone said they made the perfect couple. They knew that Brad was on his way up and she would be right by his side.

         Brad had won a football scholarship and would be going to Arkansas in the fall. They married and moved into a nice house in Little Rock. Brad had been drafted by a major pro team and they were on their way.  She drove a new Lexas, and wore a huge diamond ring. Their future was secure. They were invited to all the high class parties and she loved the social scene. They were truly the Golden couple. Life would be just perfect if Brad was home more. She knew he had important contacts to meet and important meetings to attend. And all those practices kept him so busy. She went to all his games and was so proud of him, but it really bothered her to see all the young groupies hanging all over him. Brad always assured her that his thoughts were always on her and if she started feeling too left out, he would come home with a big box of roses or a new pair of diamond earrings to convince her how much he loved her. Delia wanted to start a family but Brad thought they were too young. They had so much living to do first.

         Delia had started hearing rumors that a lot of the evenings he had to be gone, weren’t business. When she finally found out the rumors were true, she called Gaylen hysterical and he was right there with a comforting shoulder to cry on. After a month of Gaylen rebuilding her self esteem, she filed for divorce. Because of his infidelities, she ended up with the house, the car and a pretty fair alimony.

         Delia laid low for awhile. Her heart had been broken and she didn’t trust anyone. She was never lonesome, because Gaylen was right there to take her anywhere she wanted to go.

         About three months after her divorce was final, Gaylen called to tell her he would be in the city for the weekend and would she like to go out to eat Saturday night?

         “Oh Gaylen,” she said. I’m so glad you called. You’re never going to believe it, but I met the most wonderful man last week. He’s taking me to dinner on Saturday and we’re spending all day Sunday together. Isn’t that wonderful?”

         “Yes Delia, that’s great” he said. “I’ll call you the next time I’m in the city.”

         Delia was so happy. Bart Thomas was a great catch. He was tall and handsome and he worked for a prestigious law firm. She already owned a beautiful home, but his was even nicer. They dated for six months and she called Gaylen right after Bart proposed.          

         “Isn’t it just wonderful? She said.

         Gaylen told her he was very happy for her.

         “The wedding will be in October” she said. “You will be here, won’t you?”

         “I’m not sure” said Gaylen. “October is several months away.”

         “Oh, Gaylen, you just have to come. You’re my very best friend.”

         “I’ll try” he said.

         Delia failed to hear the pain in his voice. She was just so happy, she didn’t notice how quiet he had become. After all, it was all about her!

She seldom ever noticed what mood he was in. She was floating on air the next few months as she planned her wedding. She saw Gaylen a couple of times, but she always spent the time gushing about how great her life was.

         Galen had graduated college and started his own software company. He had a head for business and was becoming quite wealthy.

         The week before the big wedding, Delia went down town to pick up some last minute items and stopped in their favorite restaurant for lunch. She was wearing he favorite little black dress with a string of pearls at her neck. She had just left the beauty salon and knew she looked her best. She had called Bart to have lunch with her, but he had another engagement.

As she was waiting to be seated, she noticed Bart walking across the room. He never looked her way. She was getting ready to call his name, when she saw him slide into a booth next to a gorgeous woman. She stood there and watched as he kissed her and put his arm around her shoulders. She definitely wasn’t a client, he was all over her. The Maitre d came to escort her to her table, and she said, “I’m sorry, I changed my mind.” The tears were starting to come as she dashed out of the restaurant. She took a cab and cried all the way home. Why me again, she thought. I was so sure he loved me. Isn’t anyone faithful anymore? she wondered as she dialed Gaylen’s number, crying.

         “Don’t worry, I’ll be right there,” he assured her. The was there by evening to comfort her and let her pour out her grief, and held her while she cried over another lost love.

         It was late and he told her he really needed to get home. He had an important meeting the next morning. She started crying again. “You can’t leave me now, I need you. Please stay.”

         “I said I needed to go” he said gently.

         “But I really need you,” she cried.

         Gaylen stood up and stepped back a few feet, and stood there looking at the woman he had loved for so long. “What do you need me for?” he asked.

         Delia looked stunned. “You’re my friend, I need you to comfort me.”

         “Are you my friend?” he asked. She looked at him like she’d never seen him before.

         “What do you mean?” she asked.

         “I asked if you were my friend. I know I’m your friend. What I asked is if you are my friend.”

         “I don’t understand” she cried.

         “I think you do,” he replied. “You know I have always loved you. I’m always here when you need me. But are you ever here for me?”

         “Of course,” she said, rather indigently.

         “Do you know anything about me?” he asked. “Are you aware that there have been many times over the last few years when I have needed a friend? I have tried to tell you a few times but your problems were always more important. Do you realize I spent three weeks in the hospital a few months ago with Pneumonia?”

         “No,” she said. “Why didn’t you call me?”

         “I did call you, but you were in the middle of another crisis and we never got around to talking about me.”

         Delia was stunned! “Have I really been that selfish?” she asked. She looked at Gaylen like she was seeing him for the first time. She thought back over the years when he had always been there for her. She had considered him a geek. He had grown into a very handsome, confident man. He was successful, kind and the most loyal friend a person could ever want. She suddenly realized, he was what she had been searching for all her life. He was loyal, kind and loving and she had just looked through him like he didn’t exist. How could I have been so blind? she wondered.

         Delia started crying again, but not for Bart or for Brad, but because she couldn’t believe how blind she had been all these years. She looked at Gaylen with entirely different eyes. He was what she had been searching for all these years and she had treated  him so badly.

         “Please don’t go” she begged. “You’re right about everything. I have been selfish and thoughtless, Why didn’t you set me straight years ago?” she asked.

         “I just hoped you would actually see me someday. You know I’ve loved you for years, but I can’t wait through any more of your lost loves. I shouldn’t even be  here.” he said. “One of the reasons I came was to tell you I met a wonderful woman and we’ve been engaged for three months. We’re getting married in the Spring and she loves me the way I love her. She actually listens when I have something I want to say. She’s interested in my feelings. I just had to see you one more time and tell you face to face. I will always be your friend, but I won’t be dropping everything to come running when you call. I’m just starting my life and I know we will be very happy together. I wish you the best and I hope someday you will have what I have. Peg knows I’m here and she agreed I should tell you in person. I promised her I would call as soon as I got home. She is a very loving and caring person and I love her much more that I ever loved you. I hope someday you will have the happiness you’re looking for. I have.” He walked over and gave her a last hug and wished her well and walked to the door.

         Delia was stunned. This couldn’t be happening. She finally realized she loved him, but it was too late.

         “Please don’t go” she pleaded. “I can’t believe I could have been so blind. Please give me another chance. I Do love you and I was just too stupid to realize it.”

         “I’m sorry,” he said “I have to go home and assure Peg that it’s completely over. She always knew how much I loved you, even if you didn’t see it. She has been patient for a long time and this is a two sided love. She love and respects me as much as I do her. Goodbye Delia,” he said as he walked out the door.

         Delia ran out the door screaming. “Please come back. I love you. You can’t leave me now.” She stood there on the sidewalk, sobbing as he drove away. She knew it was too late. Peg was a very lucky woman.

© Copyright 2009 Trish (tricia363 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516839-Lost-Love