*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1518696-Threes-a-crowd---Chapter-one
by Adarah
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1518696
Back at work.
One year out of University. Julia was now a qualified Children’s book Author after four tough years studying. So far she had written and had published one Children’s book, ‘What’s that next-door?” It became a huge hit and was on sale for $15.00 a book. She had earned about two hundred thousand dollars for it so far.
She had brought herself a nice wee one-bedroom apartment in the Centre City of Wellington with the money her book had earned her. It had been an easy weekend unpacking and moving into the new apartment but tomorrow Julia was back to work. She was heading down to an Author’s convention in Dunedin City. So she packed her suitcases and tried to get some sleep because tomorrow was an early start.

Five in the morning and her alarm was going.

Bye the time she was ready it was 5.30 and time to head off to the airport for her 6.00 flight to Dunedin.

Julia boarded her plane and took her window seat. After the plane had taken off she turned her i-pod on and started listening to some Opshop. She looked out her window at all the Nelson Lakes. They were beautiful.

When the plane landed in Dunedin, Julia waited patiently to get off the plane.

Inside she grabbed her luggage and headed off to Dunedin City.

****

In Dunedin Julia was staying at the Southern Cross Hotel with a group of Children’s book Authors from around New Zealand.

When she got to her hotel room she had been placed with three other Authors. One was a tall, tan, handsome man with dark black hair from Queenstown. One a short, skinny, blonde, petite women from Auckland and the other was a light-skinned, muscled, medium-height man from Christchurch.

Julia was placed in a twin-suite with the other lady, Janet Founders was her name. She had been an Author for about four years and wrote books on her childhood experiences. She was very well accomplished and made a lot of money. In fact, she was known for the amount of money she took in for her writing.

The two men were in the other twin-suite.
The tall, tanned-skin, dark haired one was named Riley Potters. He wrote short children’s books. He had been an Author for about five years. He was a very popular man who was always in the spotlight. Not many people disliked him.
The muscled, light-skinned, medium-height man was Morgan Thompson. He was one year out of college just like Julia.

The rest of the day was for all the authors to get to know each other.

Julia happily introduced herself to about four other authors. Then she headed outside for a cigarette.

Morgan was out there having one as well.

“Hi, I’m Morgan.”
“Yeah, I know. I’m Julia.”
“So where are you from?”
“Wellington, I’m fresh out of university, how about you?”
“Christchurch, I’m straight out of university as well.”
“Oh, true. That’s good then, I thought I was the only new Author here; it’s a big relief that you’re new too.”
“Yeah it is a big relief actually. I felt the same way about this as you.”

They carried on with their conversation while having a cigarette.

After a while they started to become very friendly with each other.

Morgan then offered to show Julia around Dunedin.

She was delighted that someone was going to show her around, otherwise she would have been completely lost the next day.

So the rest of the day Morgan and Julia spent it exploring Dunedin.

When they got back to the hotel Julia was very grateful that Morgan had shown her around.

She felt as if her and Morgan got along quite well because they were both new at the whole Author scene.

****

Later that evening. Julia had been sitting on her bed with her lap-top for about two hours trying to think about her next children’s book, and trying to come up with idea’s but none would come to her.

She had heard that the Dunedin had a nice beach 'St Clair' so she decided to go for a walk along it.

When she was walking along the beach she found a nice wee spot to sit down at and write in her notebook.

While she was writing she looked out on the waves and started to watch the surfers. She noticed a really talented one who was extra spunky too.

She was so distracted that she didn’t realize she was actually staring at the surfer. He must have seen her because he started to look her way too. Julia quickly turned away and pretended as if she was never looking at him.

The man stopped surfing. He came out of the water and ran up to her.

She was a bit embarrassed and red-cheeked.

He introduced himself to her.

“Hey, I’m Jordan, I saw you staring at me”
“Oh, shit... I’m sorry.”
“Nah your fine. Sooo, are you going to tell me your name or will I have to sit down there and get it out of you?”
“Maybe I wont tell you. Then you will need to sit down here with me.”
“Well no-name, that really doesn’t bother me.”
“Oh, I see then.”

So Jordan did as he said he would, he sat down beside her.

She ended up giving him her name and number, as did he. Hoping to chat again some time soon.

He then ran out back into the waves. Julia tried so hard not to smile but she couldn't help herself. She had just met a sexy surfer from Dunedin.

She thought it was time to call it a day so she went back to the hotel, went upstairs, lay on the bed and quite quickly fell asleep.
© Copyright 2009 Adarah (ambercaitlyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1518696-Threes-a-crowd---Chapter-one