*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519633-Displaced
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1519633
A Writer's Cramp celebration entry!
Displaced


Mark watched his team continue to settle in.  They were unpacking and storing files, putting personal items on their desks - the usual aftermath of an intraoffice move.  As he'd guessed when the move had started, Sam and Melissa had not only finished first, they'd been efficiently taking customer calls around the move-in process.  He was really glad they were on his team.  The phones weren't too busy yet; with a little luck, the relocation would be completely transparent to callers, resulting in no decrease in availability.  He checked his watch, then grabbed his notepad and headed to the conference room for the post-move wrap-up.

An hour later, he e-mailed his team, asking them to convene in his office at noon for a short meeting.  He then placed a call for a delivery from a local bakery and coffee shop.  When the team assembled in Mark's office, the first thing they noticed was the box of muffins and bagels, along with a travel-pak full of coffee.  They shared a look of "What now?", hoping it was just his way of saying "Thanks!" for how smoothly the move had gone, as Mark only rarely went the full 'food and drink route'; usually, he provided just one or the other for their bi-monthly team meetings. 

"Help yourselves and have a seat, everyone," Mark said.  When everyone had made their selections and settled around the table, Mark continued.

"I'd really like to thank you all for your exceptional team effort and cooperation over the last couple of weeks.  Mr. James and the rest of the executives were impressed by your can-do attitude, and especially how you didn't let the moving activity impact our efficiency.  They, too, send their thanks."

More than a few glances that clearly said "Looks like we're home free!" made their way around the table.

"There was one item brought up in this morning's meeting, though."

The general feeling of relaxation vanished.

"Apparently, there's a larger plan in the works, one that'll involve some remodel and redesign work on the floor.  So...,"  Mark hesitated, clearly unhappy with what he was about to say.  "I'm afraid our current arrangement is only temporary.  The department will be moving again in about six months.  I don't have any other details at the moment, but I'll share what I know, as soon as I know it.  Thanks again for your support."

As the team filed out of his office, Mark wondered just how much this would affect their attitude, and if it would be noticeable when they spoke with their customers.  He saw one of the client service reps pick up a call and heard him say, "James and Associates - how may I help you?" in a clear and bright tone of voice.  Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad.

Then the words, "James and Associates.  I'm sorry, my system is down and I don't have access to any of my files.  Please call back." in a very dispirited tone.  He sighed.  It was going to be a long year.

[509 words]
© Copyright 2009 Writer_Mike (mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519633-Displaced