*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519824-The-Day-Her-Car-Chose-Her
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1519824
A teenage girl is finally old enough to get her own car. Will the car she want choose her?
He just had to be hers.  Staring at the little Mini Cooper sitting in the parking lot, she sighed.  Today was the day!  Her car would finally choose her!  Sarah waved at the little green Mini Cooper.  She hoped he would choose her.  Every day for the past two months Sarah would walk past the car lot and wave.  Occasionally, the little mini cooper would wave its antenna at her.

Sarah's mother smiled at her as they waited inside the office.  "Don't worry.  You'll get the right car for you."

"Mom, it's gonna be the Cooper.  I just know it!  We share a bond!  He's just got to like me!"

"Sarah, remember you don't get the car YOU choose.  You get the car that chooses you."

Sighing she glanced around at the other kids waiting on their cars.  Sitting across from them was a small bookish looking girl with large wire framed glasses, a man that looked to be her father was sitting next to her.  Close to the window was Josh Turner.  The star quarterback for their football team, Josh was very tall and big.  Not fat, just big.  Sarah recognized Josh's mother, Mrs. Turner from school, she worked in the guidance office.  Mrs. Turner waved at her.  She waved back.

The door to the room opened and a man and woman entered.  "Welcome to the first day of the rest of your driving lives!"

The woman glanced at the man and rolled her eyes at him.  "I'm Dr. Stevens and this is Mr. Martin.  We're here to help you and your car achieve your potential of being excellent partners.  There is only 3 of you in this class so we have had to combine you with another of Mr. Martin's classes.  They are in the next room.  But don't worry, there are enough cars for everyone."

"A couple of cars were just rotated out this morning and a couple of new ones brought in.  The cars were having trouble finding a match here and requested to be transferred."

Sarah raised her hand, "What about the Mini Cooper?"

Dr. Stevens glanced at her clipboard.  "Oh yes, the Mini Cooper was one of the ones that requested a transfer.  I'm sorry.  He just felt like it was time to move on."

"But.."

"Oh, I'm sure there is a car out there for you Miss.."

"Sarah."

"Miss Sarah.  Mini Coopers are extremely picky about their partners.  Just anyone won't do.  They will go hundreds of different places sometimes, to find the right one.  More than likely, the Cooper wouldn't have picked you."

Sarah frowned at looked at her feet.  Her mother squeezed her hand.

Sarah's class joined with the other outside in the parking lot.  All together there was about six teens in all.  Josh stood next to her.  "Sorry about the Cooper."

"Thanks.  I really loved that car.  It would wave at me sometimes when I passed by."

"Some cars are just friendly that way.  Is what my dad says anyway.  He got a Volkswagon Beetle on his choosing day."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he was kind of disappointed because he really wanted a corvette.  However, that Beetle loves him.  He's the best car there is.  Dad is definitely glad now that the Beetle chose him."

"That's awesome."

"Yeah.  So don't worry.  Your car will be cool.  Even if its not the Cooper."

Sarah followed the others to get into the choosing line.  Each car would drive up to each individual, "sniff" them and then drive away.  Standing in her little box area on the parking lot, she glanced at where the little green Mini Cooper had sat.  It's spot, now empty made her sad.  She couldn't believe he hadn't waited on her.  She didn't even notice the cars and other vehicles had started their hunt.

A big Dodge Ram pickup truck stopped in front of her and she jumped.  The truck sniffed her and Sarah could have sworn she heard him laugh.  The truck immediately sped over to Josh.  After sniffing him, the truck continued down the line.

She heard Josh laughing, "Kind of spooked you huh?"

"Just a little."

Several other cars came by after that and sniffed her.  One was actually a purple Volkswagen Beetle!  Sarah smiled.  A Beetle might be the right car for her as well!

The whistle blew.  All cars went back to their parking spot.  Suddenly a horn sounded, and a small blue Mini Cooper with a convertible top comes racing into the lot.  The car starts sniffing all the teenagers.  The cooper finally stops at her.  The cooper sniffs her.  Then drives over to the other cars and sits.

"Well Cooper, glad you could make it.  Your cousin told us a lot about you."  The little cooper honked its horn at Dr. Martin.

"Okay cars," a loud horn of a Dodge Ram pickup truck sounded, "Okay cars and trucks, please drive over to your new partner."

Sarah watched as the pickup truck started first and zoomed over to where Josh was standing and parked.

Josh was smiling.  He noticed her looking and gave her the thumbs up.

The bookish girl that was sitting with them was suddenly screaming.  The purple volkswagon Beetle had parked in front of her and was playing some boy band on its radio.  "Dad, its like the Beetle knows me already!"

She watched as the other three teenagers were paired with their cars.  One blonde girl was paired with a really nice Toyota Prius.  The boy had managed a Jeep Cherokee.  The other girl with flaming red hair was matched with a flaming red Chevy Corvette.  Her mother was standing beside her saying in a loud voice, "How are we ever going to afford the insurance?!"

She smiled.  Sarah suddenly heard a very loud horn.  Turning to look the Blue Mini Cooper with a convertible top had parked in front of her.
© Copyright 2009 Cynthia G 01 (cyntharianm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519824-The-Day-Her-Car-Chose-Her