*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1520319-Jaycees-Imagination
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1520319
A day in the snow with Jaycee and her imaginary friend.
“Mommy, don’t forget to zip Caleb’s jacket.”

Even as Danielle began the automatic act of zipping the jacket, she started the lecture. “Jaycee, you are almost eight now; you’re getting too old for imaginary friends.”

“I agree, Mommy. But Caleb’s real.” It was stated as a matter of fact as she scampered out the door to play in the first snow of the season.

It seemed Caleb had always been a part of Jaycee's life. He helped her face her fears. He held her hand as she entered the preschool room of screaming, laughing strangers for the first time. She claimed it was Caleb who kept her from falling off the top bunk of her new bunk bed when she was six. He was an avid listener of all the stories she read and was always a main character in all the stories she made up. Caleb definitely taught Jaycee the value of loyalty.

Her mother watched as Jaycee playfully took turns throwing the snowballs at her and then “Caleb”. She played along with her daughter’s vivid imagination as she took turns pushing them on the swings. Inwardly, she felt a tingle of worry that Jaycee believed so thoroughly in a pretend friend. She hoped she would outgrow it soon. Inevitably, kids at school would begin to tease her. Danielle had the natural maternal urge to protect her child from any hurt she might face.

“Come on, Mommy! Caleb wants to make snow angels.”

As Danielle laid beside Jaycee moving her arms and legs in the snow, she squinted up at a beautiful sky with the sun trying to peek through the clouds. The mixture of her daughter’s giggles and breathing in nature’s fresh air seemed to inspire her. She felt in that moment God would provide her with the right words; she was not alone.

“My Jaycee-doll, we need to talk about Caleb.”

Her daughter seemed not to hear as she pulled her mommy up from the ground. Brushing the snow off her daughter, Danielle continued. “You know Caleb really . . .” Her breath caught.

The world was silent. Where had her inspiration gone? In that seemingly endless moment, Danielle realized guidance doesn’t always lead us where we think it will.

“. . . makes really good snow angels,” Danielle stammered as she stared at three perfect snow angels.

Jaycee simply grinned.

WC - 300
© Copyright 2009 audra_branson (abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1520319-Jaycees-Imagination