*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1523008-Boudica-Queen-of-Iceni
Rated: E · Short Story · History · #1523008
Queen Boudica prepares the Icenians for battle against the Roman Legions.
Prompt: "The deepening darkness began to obscure the sight of it, but I know what I saw."

Word count: 435


Boudica withdrew her sword from its scabbard.

“Is this sword not sharp enough?” she asked, raising the blade above the Icenians’ heads.

Gilda stepped forward and said, “Your Majesty’s sword is sharp. The rebels beat their shields upon the ground, sending a thunderous warning to the enemy, they thirst for blood … but they pause, they are wary of the Legions’ strength.”

“Did they not defeat the Romans at Camulodunum?” Boudica asked. “They rejoiced over Londinium’s ashes, reveled in their triumph after the city was destroyed, they have no cause to be wary.”

“They still rejoice, Your Majesty, but Abaris has returned from Manduessum, with alarming news, with information that could change our destiny.”

The fearless queen, clad in a colorful tunic, with gold chains around her neck, with a cloak (held by a silver brooch) over her shoulders, descended from her chariot.

“Where is Arbaris?” the queen asked.

“Here, Your Majesty,” Arbaris answered.

Boudica asked, “What is this you speak of to the people of Iceni, Arbaris? Do you spread needless gossip, hearsay and twisted truth?”

“When the sun set, I was but a javelin’s throw from the Roman encampment’s fires, Your Majesty. We have superior numbers, but they are well equipped and have taken up a strong position. The deepening darkness began to obscure the sight of it, but I know what I saw. I fear they will have the advantage on the field of battle.”

“Are we not fighting a just cause?” Boudica asked, as she walked through the assemblage. “Our destiny has been chosen for us. We will not be chained and bound into slavery by the Romans, at any cost.”

“It is a just cause, Your Majesty, and we fight for freedom, but can we ignore the words of Abaris?” Gilda asked.

“And what did the hare do when I released it from the folds of my gown, Gilda?" Boudica asked.

“The hare ran and hid in the shadows, Your Majesty,” Gilda replied.

“Yes, the hare hid in the shadows, cowering from our spears, and we, the people of Iceni, will not hide. This omen promised us another victory. We will march upon the Roman Legions tomorrow."

The End


AD 60 or 61.
The Iceni were poorly equipped and trained, unlike the Romans who had been practicing the art of death for centuries. The Iceni attack was met with legendary Roman efficiency and the blood of 80,000 Iceni soaked the ground, compared with only 400 Roman dead. Boudica apparently was not among the initial dead, but she died a short time later by her own hand. Tacitus says she took poison, Dio only states she took sick and died.

© Copyright 2009 Coffeebean (lastcactus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1523008-Boudica-Queen-of-Iceni