*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1523105-Prisoner-of-War
Rated: ASR · Monologue · Emotional · #1523105
They took him a few weeks ago. It's really been years; I can tell.
    It's been a lifetime.
    She says it'll turn out fine.
    It won't.
    They took him, and he might not come back!  He was a good man, a great father.  He was taken...from a family!  He had three children!  But Vanessa and Aaron don't understand yet.  Mom tells them he'll come back.
    I want to say she's wrong.  That she's lying.  That dad might never come back.
    But without dad here, I can't be their dream-killer.  I'm the supporting man of the house now.  Mom was crying the other night.  She can't handle life without him.  She always received a kiss on her cheek before bed.  No matter how many times we try, she can't feel the same warmth.  It might drive me insane.  I want to go to the battlefront and bring dad back.
    If I do, I could die.
    If I don't, I could die.
    It's all so much, but the worst part...
    ...He let them take him.  He knew, and he didn't resist.  The country that supported him and embraced him might kill him.
    I wonder what this letter is?
    (Beat.)Dad...
© Copyright 2009 J. Check (checkj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1523105-Prisoner-of-War